Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I attended an alumni day at the university that I did my graduate studies. I attended several of these but never have I encountered anyone that studied with. So my questions are do you attend any of your universities alumni days and if so do you ever encounter at this event people that you met while you were at a student at the said institution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
We don't have an alumni day per se. The university hosts a weekend reunion every summer in which some of the events are organized by graduating class so, for example, the class of 2004 can have a meal and socialize together.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Ours happen at Homecoming weekend, jointly with class reunions, so it's built in that you will see people from your class.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yesterday I attended an alumni day at the university that I did my graduate studies. I attended several of these but never have I encountered anyone that studied with. So my questions are do you attend any of your universities alumni days and if so do you ever encounter at this event people that you met while you were at a student at the said institution?
How does alumni day differ from homecoming?

I have done homecoming, but have not heard of a separate alumni day.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:23 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

I have never heard of homecoming at the university where I did my graduate studies and my undergraduate studies I did overseas. So I don't know what homecoming entails. Alumni Day is for graduates to come and socialize with the other alumni, attend lectures and other special events organized for them This is the 2nd year that they have combined alumni day with parents' day for the current students.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:25 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Sounds like our homecoming is your alumni day.

From Homecoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
"Homecoming is the tradition of welcoming back alumni of a school. It is a tradition in many universities, colleges, and high schools in the United States. It usually includes activities for students and alumni, such as sports and culture events and a parade through the streets of the city or town."

Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I was asked to chair my upcoming 5th reunion but didn't think it was strategic, so I'm now just on the committee. It's a whole weekend in the summer for people celebrating their reunions that end in a 5 or 0 (i.e. 5th, 25th, 40th, etc). It's a ton of fun - I worked previous years' events as a staff member. Typically half of the 50th class shows up and 1/5 of the 5th and 10th. Once kids start getting thrown in the mix, the numbers tank.

Most of my friends will be attending. In years past, since I was staff in my previous role in my alma mater's alumni relations office, I got to see people I studied with who were in classes above me. Last year in particular I saw dozens of people I studied with with it was the class right above mine.

We have recently introduced homecoming, but that's more for local alumni as well as what is called a 0 year reunion (alumni who graduated the previous spring). We don't have a football team so there's not as much as a draw.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
It probably depends a lot on the size of college/university and if they are a football school. That's where Homecoming happens. I went to a Big Ten school and know no one from what I got my degree in but still have lots of friends from what I called my "major in band". Reunions work for those who you associated with in college. For me, and probably many others, it was not my field of study but what I spent the rest of my time doing while there. As for graduate school, haven't been back there since I graduated and don't remember a single person in my program. Of course I also immediately moved 600 miles away so that made a difference too.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have never heard of homecoming at the university where I did my graduate studies and my undergraduate studies I did overseas. So I don't know what homecoming entails. Alumni Day is for graduates to come and socialize with the other alumni, attend lectures and other special events organized for them This is the 2nd year that they have combined alumni day with parents' day for the current students.
At my college, the homecoming is basically socially related, like a mini-festivals. The sports teams usually play their main rivals, there are tons of social events, and the clubs and non-academic organizations really drives the events. Lots of fraternity/sorority events, concerts by glee clubs, the big Fall student musical is that week, there is a parade, etc. My academic department hosts a tailgate BBQ and then a Sunday career advice panel for current students, which a reception afterwards so students can network. But normal alums that aren't part of the panel usually don't bother to attend.

There is a separate alumni weekend where they have a big speaker come in to do a lecture, they have an academic competition that is judged by an alumni panel, and then they have 10-15 smaller panels where alums talk about their careers and how they got there, and then a big cocktail reception. During this whole time, alums are hand held by staff of the alumni association and the administration and are basically hit up to make donations, serve on a committee or help fund this event the next year. There is usually a fundraising formal dinner where they give out alumni awards as well. They don't do it every year though because it is kind of expensive. So the focus is really on fundraising and helping the current students, and trying to think of some interesting things to actually get alums to come. Just watch out though, once you participate, they really try to get your claws into you to donate or get your employer to be a sponsor.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

My husbands college (Caltech) has some sort of alumni days thing in the spring, with speakers, a dinner, tours of the campus, etc. I don't know if they have a homecoming in the fall. We went once. Pasadena is pretty cool, even for someone who is not crazy about California (me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities