Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No offense, but you are a mess.
Even though I would have worded it differently, I agree with this. The OP first got a bachelor's in CJ that is very limiting, but totally unnecessary to get into law enforcement. He can argue all day about internships, but the proof is out there that it is unnecessary. If he really enjoyed studying CJ, that's fine and dandy; but, now he wants to leave law enforcement and studying CJ is something he could have done on the side. Then, he got an MPA which mostly limits him to the public sector and non-profit organizations when he could have gotten an MBA in Finance or some other concentration. The MBA works just fine for the public and private sectors.

Quote:
Before you waste even more money, first find out exactly what are the education requirements of the careers you are interested in, because if your career prospects still do not work out, what are you going to do, spend more money on education?

If I were you, I would just take 24 credits of accounting, then apply for an auditing job with the fed gov, or apply for a private sector position that needs those requirements; I think that will get along much better than wasting yet more resources on a degree. How many statistic/quantitative math do you have? If you have a few classes, you should leverage those to get into an entry level position.

Edit: But even at that; there are tons of people in the financial industry (doing financial stuff) that do not have a degree in finance or even a degree in any business field; you do not need a degree in finance to get into the financial industry. How many statistic/quantitative math classes do you have? If you have a few classes, you should leverage those to get into an entry level position.
I'm not even in the business field, but I've come across many federal job openings that only care about having 24 credit hours in a related field. I have no degrees in business, but have enough credits to qualify for those jobs. You don't need to have a degree in a related field in many cases. Besides, public administration will be considered related for many business-related, federal government jobs.

Another option not mentioned is to get a graduate or undergraduate certificate in finance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM

653 posts, read 816,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOG View Post
Ok, so I have my bachelors in criminal justice and am two courses away from finishing my masters in public administration from Penn State this spring. Lately though, I've been thinking about getting a second bachelors degree so that I can expand my career prospects and have a backup plan if I decide to leave my current career (law enforcement) or if I want to make the jump to the federal government; be it law enforcement or other positions. I realize that my CJ undergrad degree kind of boxes me into just the law enforcement and security fields. So I've been looking hard at finance because my MPA degree already gives me a leg up in the public sector, but I would like to possibly expand into the private business sector and do something along those lines (financial advisor, banking, etc.). It seems to be useful for federal jobs too. Its also not so math centric that it would kill me either (like accounting, computer science, etc.).

So question is, which online program seems to be the best between Penn State and Florida International University? I love Penn State's online program and feel having it on my undergrad and grad degrees on my resume would give me a big leg up. Problem is, the cost per credit for the finance degree range from $535-379 and my advisor has already told me I'm looking at 83 credits to complete a post bachelors in it. With FIU, the name doesn't seem to hold as much weight, but the in-state cost is $157 a credit and I would roughly need the same amount of credits, maybe a few less to finish that degree.

Any suggestions or other programs/colleges recommended? Is Penn State worth the extra cost or should I go with FIU? I live in South Florida, so FIU's name recognition is better here, but if I ever plan to move to the Northeast, Penn State is much more well known.

Penn State Online | Bachelor of Science in Finance

https://mymajor.fiu.edu/browse/200FINBBA

Bachelor of Business Administration - Finance - FIUOnline
I did the second bachelor in finance at FIU. And I also have a Bachelors in CJ and was enrolled in the MPA degree program. None have helped. Not worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM

racking up degrees whether bachelors or masters isn't worth it. Id consider doing the MBA with a concentration in finance as someone mentioned, MAYBE. Save your money, its not worth it. Im speaking from personal experience.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
racking up degrees whether bachelors or masters isn't worth it. Id consider doing the MBA with a concentration in finance as someone mentioned, MAYBE. Save your money, its not worth it. Im speaking from personal experience.
I think the biggest problem is that the OP doesn't sound like he really has a passion for finance and banking; he's just grasping at something he thinks will have many employment opportunities. What happens if he ends up hating the field? He would have spent $20k-40k on a degree for which he would no longer have a use. I know how he could finish a business degree with a concentration in finance for dirt cheap, but he's concerned about name recognition.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM

146 posts, read 241,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Even though I would have worded it differently, I agree with this. The OP first got a bachelor's in CJ that is very limiting, but totally unnecessary to get into law enforcement. He can argue all day about internships, but the proof is out there that it is unnecessary. If he really enjoyed studying CJ, that's fine and dandy; but, now he wants to leave law enforcement and studying CJ is something he could have done on the side. Then, he got an MPA which mostly limits him to the public sector and non-profit organizations when he could have gotten an MBA in Finance or some other concentration. The MBA works just fine for the public and private sectors.
I did not say leave law enforcement, I said plan for a future move. I'm doing this as both a backup plan in case I decide to leave law enforcement, apply to federal law enforcement positions (and possibly some other federal jobs), or go to the private sector. Also, I disagree that an MPA limits me to the public sector and non-profit organizations. There are plenty of individuals out there who are in the private sector with MPA degrees or MBAs in the public sector vice versa. The degrees have a pretty good deal of overlap. For me to go back and get an MBA for that reason would be redundant and a waste of money. An MBA is still a professional degree and less a "specialized degree" like a masters in accounting, CS, finance, engineering, etc.

Quote:
I'm not even in the business field, but I've come across many federal job openings that only care about having 24 credit hours in a related field. I have no degrees in business, but have enough credits to qualify for those jobs. You don't need to have a degree in a related field in many cases. Besides, public administration will be considered related for many business-related, federal government jobs.

Another option not mentioned is to get a graduate or undergraduate certificate in finance.
I've combed over USAjobs and yet to see a worthwhile position that requires "24 credits" in a related field. There are plenty with the "2 years of full time grad experience" if thats what you mean. Fed jobs want experience and a degree over credits. A job at IRS, OIG, or FBI for instance are going to want finance/accounting related degrees, not 24 credits in a related field.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM

146 posts, read 241,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
I did the second bachelor in finance at FIU. And I also have a Bachelors in CJ and was enrolled in the MPA degree program. None have helped. Not worth it in my opinion.
Not saying your wrong, but I don't know your personal history or experiences. I have a friend with a masters in finance and he is doing pretty well in South Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think the biggest problem is that the OP doesn't sound like he really has a passion for finance and banking; he's just grasping at something he thinks will have many employment opportunities. What happens if he ends up hating the field? He would have spent $20k-40k on a degree for which he would no longer have a use. I know how he could finish a business degree with a concentration in finance for dirt cheap, but he's concerned about name recognition.
I'm not doing this just for the piece of paper, I'm doing it because finance/banking is an important field that interests me and finance is useable in many subset business fields. An MBA is for a leader or CEO, I'm looking at possibly entering the field and for 30K (cost of UM program) its not bad for a masters degree.

If I wanted to get into computers, this topic would be about finding a good online CS degree.

Also, name recognition holds weight with a masters. Less so with a bachelors, but with a masters it does for the private sector.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:17 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:
USMCPOG,

I'm looking at financial advisor, banking, investment banking, and federal government type work.
Okay, let me help you out buddy because these are vastly different industries/positions and you are all over the place.

Financial Advisor - You are going to consult people on how to invest their funds, where to invest their funds, how to better balance their budget, how to reduce their expenses, as well as provide them access to products (directly or indirectly) such as insurance, mortgages, credit cards, education financial aid FAFSA assistance, etc.

Retail Banking - This is where you would work at let's say BOA, and you would do consumer or business loans, credit cards, lines of credit, commercial mortgages, or you would be a bank teller. This is basically banking that works with the general public.

Investment Banking - This is where you would go to Wallstreet and become an Analyst or Associate, you would be consulting companies on M&As and helping companies create stock to raise equity capital. This is private banking for companies and institutions only.

Federal Government - A variety of different departments, positions, etc. Way too broad.

Now, you aren't GETTING into Investment Banking. If you haven't been recruited by now into that, forget about it.

Do you think you have the talent and skill to compete as a Financial Advisor? You have to compete against established COMPANIES as well as skilled/experienced/established independent Financial Advisors which INCLUDE CPAs. Can you compete?

Retail Banking is being downsized as well in favor of technology and automation, good luck trying to find a decent position in that area.

The Federal Government makes more sense for you due to your background and the degrees you already have. If you want to move into a Financial role/position within the broad available positions in the Federal Government, THAT makes more sense.

Quote:
USMCPOG,

I actually contacted the University of Miami's program and they seem to be starting their own online Masters in Finance program which it looks like I'll probably be pursuing. I don't want to go back for a MBA due to cost and it not really giving me a specialization over an MBA degree. With a finance degree in either a bachelors or masters, it gives me at least some niche in the business world. Not as much as accounting or economics, but still a niche.
You are mistaken. Get an MBA with a Finance specialization as I informed you, getting a Master's In Finance is like getting an MBA "without having the branding of an MBA name" behind you. As one poster already pointed out, you should have got the MBA instead of the MPA because with an MBA, you can work in any type of industry.

Plus you keep talking about the MBA "cost," I told you to go to an Unranked MBA program that's regionally accredited from a respected college. The cost of the MBA would be the same as the Master's in Finance or the second Bachelor's degree.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Not saying your wrong, but I don't know your personal history or experiences. I have a friend with a masters in finance and he is doing pretty well in South Florida.

pre 2008 or post 2008?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I did not say leave law enforcement, I said plan for a future move. I'm doing this as both a backup plan in case I decide to leave law enforcement, apply to federal law enforcement positions (and possibly some other federal jobs), or go to the private sector. Also, I disagree that an MPA limits me to the public sector and non-profit organizations. There are plenty of individuals out there who are in the private sector with MPA degrees or MBAs in the public sector vice versa. The degrees have a pretty good deal of overlap. For me to go back and get an MBA for that reason would be redundant and a waste of money. An MBA is still a professional degree and less a "specialized degree" like a masters in accounting, CS, finance, engineering, etc.
How is getting an MBA in Finance any different from getting a BBA in Finance except that the MBA will qualify you for higher-level jobs? If you think your MPA works great for the private sector, then why are you considering a BBA?

Quote:
I've combed over USAjobs and yet to see a worthwhile position that requires "24 credits" in a related field. There are plenty with the "2 years of full time grad experience" if thats what you mean. Fed jobs want experience and a degree over credits. A job at IRS, OIG, or FBI for instance are going to want finance/accounting related degrees, not 24 credits in a related field.
Are you talking about federal law enforcement jobs? The IRS does not require finance or accounting degrees. They will accept any major supplemented by accounting and general business courses. I know because I had to include this in my research paper.
Mid-Career & Experienced: IRS Special Agent Job Qualifications

The FBI doesn't require a degree in finance or accounting; although, they are preferred over many other majors. However, it's not as simple as just having the degrees, and your law enforcement and military experience will already make you competitive in the critical skills review phase. A finance degree will end up in the diversified category in the entry program phase.

https://www.fbijobs.gov/1111.asp
https://www.fbijobs.gov/1112.asp

Quote:
I'm not doing this just for the piece of paper, I'm doing it because finance/banking is an important field that interests me and finance is useable in many subset business fields. An MBA is for a leader or CEO, I'm looking at possibly entering the field and for 30K (cost of UM program) its not bad for a masters degree.

If I wanted to get into computers, this topic would be about finding a good online CS degree.

Also, name recognition holds weight with a masters. Less so with a bachelors, but with a masters it does for the private sector.
You already have a master's with name recognition.

Last edited by L210; 11-12-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Oh and I worked in the financial industry BEFORE I had any degree in finance. Im just saying that getting degrees isnt always the answer.

Full Disclosure: I work for a graduate school and still say getting degrees isnt always the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities