Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

"A judge has ordered divorced parents to pay more than $16,000 toward their 21-year-old daughter's college tuition - even though she hasn't spoken to them for two years. Caitlyn Ricci from Cherry Hills, New Jersey, sued her estranged biological parents Maura McGarvey and Michael Ricci for her fees at Temple University in Philadelphia and won."

Divorced parents ordered to pay $16,000 for their 21-year-old estranged daughter's college tuition despite the fact she was kicked out of the house two years ago | Daily Mail Online

And if that isn't bad enough, the grandparents paid her legal fees to sue their own son.

It's all about an entitlement society.

» 21-year-old Sues Parents for College Tuition… and Wins! » The Loft -- GOPUSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I agree with this actually;

The gov holds that the parents are responsible for financing the kid's college education until the kid meets the criteria for being declared "independent". If the parents do not uphold their end of this, what is the kid to do? The kid cannot get any loans, and the parents will not pay, it is basically a screw over for the kid. If the gov is going to assign this BS criteria for obtaining a school loan, then there must be some sort of avenue for the kid to force parents to pay.

The best way to end all of this is to remove this ridiculous notion that parents are responsible for their kid's college education. There are numerous jerk off parents out there that refuse to pay for their kid's education, yet the kid is forced to to be associated with these parents, and have no way at all to obtain student loans until they meet the criteria of being "independent".

This "forcing" to pay I have heard of before; a guy I knew in HS had a judge force his dad to pay his mom something like $2k a month while he was in college. His parents got divorced during his senior year in HS, and while he was in college, the dad had to fork over an extra $2k a month to his mom.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Quote:
boxus

I agree with this actually;

The gov holds that the parents are responsible for financing the kid's college education until the kid meets the criteria for being declared "independent". If the parents do not uphold their end of this, what is the kid to do? The kid cannot get any loans, and the parents will not pay, it is basically a screw over for the kid. If the gov is going to assign this BS criteria for obtaining a school loan, then there must be some sort of avenue for the kid to force parents to pay.

The best way to end all of this is to remove this ridiculous notion that parents are responsible for their kid's college education. There are numerous jerk off parents out there that refuse to pay for their kid's education, yet the kid is forced to to be associated with these parents, and have no way at all to obtain student loans until they meet the criteria of being "independent".
You are wrong on all accounts. For one, yes you aren't an independent student until you turn 24, all this means is that you can't utilize YOUR income towards calculating your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) but instead you have to either use both of your parents' income or your guardian's income. There is NO requirement that the parents nor the guardian has to pay anything towards college tuition. The government is "hoping" the parents will, sometimes even expecting they will, but they don't HAVE TO.

Secondly, if the parents made a prior arrangement to pay for the entire college tuition, if there's no legal agreement with that then it holds no water. I can "say" I'm paying my girlfriend's rent next month, but come next month if I "change my mind" and no longer pay it there's no legal recourse against me as there was no agreement and thus, no obligation.

Thirdly, why in the hell doesn't this girl's grandparents pay for it then? They have money to waste on lawyers suing their offspring, why won't they pay it?

Lastly, this is one of the reasons I'm not having kids. Raising kids today is HELL. They are spoiled and entitled, they walk around like King Tut or Queen Elizabeth and they haven't accomplished nor achieved ANYTHING in life yet. "My money" is supposedly "their money" even though they did nothing to work for it. If this was "back in the day," this girl would have gotten her TAIL BEAT by not just her parents but her grandparents as well. But today, you as a parent are truly handcuffed. If the child is out of control, they blame YOU for not putting them in control.....but then when you TRY to put them in line, they put you in jail for "abuse".

Old 11-15-2014, 02:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You are wrong on all accounts. For one, yes you aren't an independent student until you turn 24, all this means is that you can't utilize YOUR income towards calculating your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) but instead you have to either use both of your parents' income or your guardian's income. There is NO requirement that the parents nor the guardian has to pay anything towards college tuition. The government is "hoping" the parents will, sometimes even expecting they will, but they don't HAVE TO.
Where did I state the parents have to? I stated "The gov holds that the parents are responsible..."; you are stating this is not correct?

Quote:
Secondly, if the parents made a prior arrangement to pay for the entire college tuition, if there's no legal agreement with that then it holds no water. I can "say" I'm paying my girlfriend's rent next month, but come next month if I "change my mind" and no longer pay it there's no legal recourse against me as there was no agreement and thus, no obligation.
The difference between you paying your GF's rent and parents paying for college is; there is no gov restriction on your GF obtaining funds for paying rent, whereas for the the kid, the kid is restricted from pursuing student loans due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e. the parents.

Since there is a restriction a kid's ability to obtain student loans due to the parents, the kid needs to have recourse. What makes it even more ridiculous is there are many kids who have absolutely horrible parents, have nothing to do with them, yet are still held to this dependent status.

This "independent/dependent" status thing needs to be dropped completely; idiotic concept to begin with, even more idiotic in the fact a kid has no influence or authority to make the parents pay, nor hardly any avenue to declare themselves "independent" (except for great decisions like getting pregnant, married, or military service). If they do not want to get rid of this status thing, they need to greatly lower the bar on being able to declare independent status' some parents are just plain a**holes.

Quote:
Thirdly, why in the hell doesn't this girl's grandparents pay for it then? They have money to waste on lawyers suing their offspring, why won't they pay it?
Out of spite? Maybe the grandparents know what jerk offs the parents are, so they assisted in doing this. Many parents are hardly angels or anything, they can be quite down right mean. Maybe the grandparents knew this, maybe this was their way to assist in getting back at them.

Quote:
Lastly, this is one of the reasons I'm not having kids. Raising kids today is HELL. They are spoiled and entitled, they walk around like King Tut or Queen Elizabeth and they haven't accomplished nor achieved ANYTHING in life yet. "My money" is supposedly "their money" even though they did nothing to work for it. If this was "back in the day," this girl would have gotten her TAIL BEAT by not just her parents but her grandparents as well. But today, you as a parent are truly handcuffed. If the child is out of control, they blame YOU for not putting them in control.....but then when you TRY to put them in line, they put you in jail for "abuse".
I do not disagree, but, the parents are raising the kids, it is up to them to actually raise them instead of letting everyone else do so. Sure, many kids end up doing what they want no matter how well the parents did (we all have met those types), but many would probably be just fine if it were not for their parents.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:42 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
I wish I'd been able to do that.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:06 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
Quote:
It's very fortunate you have no children to BEAT and btw beating a 21 year old is assault whether they happen to be related to you or not.

Anyway, I hope people get just as militant over filial responsibility laws forcing the adult children of deadbeat elderly to pay their astronomical nursing home bills. Now that's a massive sense of entitlement!

States with Filial Responsibility Laws Ought to Scare You | AllFinancialMatters

Old 11-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
boxus

Where did I state the parents have to? I stated "The gov holds that the parents are responsible..."; you are stating this is not correct?
Yes, that's incorrect. Parents have no responsibility to pay ANYTHING towards their adult child's college education. The FAFSA financial aid calculation is based on "expected" parent contribution based on the parent's income and assets. There's no "requirement".

Quote:
boxus

The difference between you paying your GF's rent and parents paying for college is; there is no gov restriction on your GF obtaining funds for paying rent, whereas for the the kid, the kid is restricted from pursuing student loans due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e. the parents.

Since there is a restriction a kid's ability to obtain student loans due to the parents, the kid needs to have recourse.
The only restriction is that the "kid" (I assume you meant young adult) has to obtain their parent's tax return to complete the FAFSA process, and there's even some ways to skip the tax return portion in certain cases. That's the only restriction, once the tax return is provided the student is presented the aid package he/she qualifies for. If the parent makes a decent amount of money, there might just be Stafford Loans offered which would be offered up to limited based upon the "dependent" status of the student. The student can then take out the stafford loans up to the limit determined.

Quote:
boxus

What makes it even more ridiculous is there are many kids who have absolutely horrible parents, have nothing to do with them, yet are still held to this dependent status.

This "independent/dependent" status thing needs to be dropped completely; idiotic concept to begin with, even more idiotic in the fact a kid has no influence or authority to make the parents pay, nor hardly any avenue to declare themselves "independent" (except for great decisions like getting pregnant, married, or military service). If they do not want to get rid of this status thing, they need to greatly lower the bar on being able to declare independent status' some parents are just plain a**holes.
Now, I agree with the independent/dependent thing needing to be dropped because technically, it makes no sense. The reason they have it there is to limit the amount of Pell Grants that would be issued out, as most students would be starting out at 18 with very little income and assets, thus almost everyone would qualify for a Pell Grant. They should implement a better measuring tool.

If the parent doesn't communicate with the student at all and the student is unable to get their tax returns to complete the FAFSA, there some ways to get an aid package despite the situation.

Quote:
boxus

Out of spite? Maybe the grandparents know what jerk offs the parents are, so they assisted in doing this. Many parents are hardly angels or anything, they can be quite down right mean. Maybe the grandparents knew this, maybe this was their way to assist in getting back at them.
I understand, but I don't see how this is relevant. The "kid" is a young adult at this point, it's not the parents' legal responsibility to pay for ANYTHING in relation to them anymore. Yes, the government is expecting they would chimp in if they have the funds, but if they don't want to...they don't have to.

Quote:
boxus

I do not disagree, but, the parents are raising the kids, it is up to them to actually raise them instead of letting everyone else do so. Sure, many kids end up doing what they want no matter how well the parents did (we all have met those types), but many would probably be just fine if it were not for their parents.
I understand, but sometimes all you can do is.....ALL you can do lol. Bad children are bad children, just like this college student who sued her parents, she's a problem child and always has been. Parents get a lot of bad press for their "bad children" when most of the time they did the best they could do, the child is just a BAD child.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Oh man, I got majorly screwed over with this one! I moved out on my own at 18 to get away from an abusive father (mother left a decade before that, and I hadn't heard from her since). When I applied for financial aid for college, I was considered a dependent student, even though I was completely self-supporting and had no contact with my parents. The financial aid office contacted my father and he told them that he was paying all of bills. I certainly didn't expect him to contribute a dime, but there was no call to make it so I couldn't even do it on my own. To top it off, that first year I filed my tax returns, I got into a jam with the IRS because he was still claiming me as a dependent, even though I moved out the year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Since there is a restriction a kid's ability to obtain student loans due to the parents, the kid needs to have recourse. What makes it even more ridiculous is there are many kids who have absolutely horrible parents, have nothing to do with them, yet are still held to this dependent status.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Note this is long-standing law in NJ; doesn't apply anywhere else. The Newburgh Precedent in the article is "Newburgh v. Arrigo case, 88 N.J. 529 (1982)"

I'm kinda sympathetic to the daughter here; who ever heard of an out-of-control rebellious child leaving home to go to Temple University?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM

n
Quote:
ybbler

I'm kinda sympathetic to the daughter here; who ever heard of an out-of-control rebellious child leaving home to go to Temple University?
Awww, the poor little brat had to attend a college not named Harvard...awwww.

It's just insane how society works today. Back in the day once you turned 18, you were literally kicked out of the house without a dime to start your life. You were forced to be an adult and take care of your own crap.

I started out in adult life with nothing, no trust fund, no college fund, hell not even "words of advice". I guess my parents owe me $16,000 as well. And while they are at it, they owe me a new car, a house, if I have kids I can't afford they owe it to me to chimp in and pay for them, if I want to obtain a PhD to "progress my career" they should help pay for that as well.

When does the entitled crap stop? Your parents responsibility was 0-18, after 18 they have no more legal responsibility towards you. If they want to be "nice" and pay for your education, your wedding, watch your 4 kids from 4 different deadbeats while you go to work, etc., they CAN....but they don't HAVE TO. They don't owe you any thing, you owe it to yourself to start functioning as an adult.

What a spoiled, rotten, entitled society my generation is (Gen Y). It's why men like me go MGTOW and opt out of all this far-left nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities