Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times

Advertisements

I went to a prestigious Midwestern private school in an urban setting, and I thought it was an exceptional experience. I've always been a people person, so I found the variety of people to be supremely stimulating. This along with the rigorous academic requirements, made me what I am today. Being in an urban setting, more close to nature has its place, but I found that during my college years, it was the furthest thing from my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I went to Texas A&M in College Station. Bryan-College Station has around 200,000 people, a little larger than Athens, GA (UGA). I'm from the suburbs of Atlanta but really enjoyed the size of College Station. It was definitely a college town, so much revolved around A&M. The bar district next to campus was all college. Cheap drinks, all college aged. Free rides home through a university group. Easy to learn your way around town compared to a larger city. Low cost of living especially for rent. University still large enough to support bus routes for people without cars which wouldn't normally be possible in a city of that size. Having visited Starkville, MS, it was great having the amenities of the suburbs without all the traffic. I love college towns in general, well educated population. Stable economies with a university as the anchor for the economy. Internship opportunities may be limited compared to big cities but most just interned for a semester or summer instead of taking classes. Generally a small but busy downtown area. College Station didn't really have one but Bryan did and was pretty nice.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
I went to a decently-sized state school in a small town where the number of students was roughly equal to the number of permanent residents. I loved my experience, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The whole town really catered towards the university.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
The most important criterion is: can you get pizza delivered to your room at 0100?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,153 times
big state school in small town (athens, ga - UGA). ahh. will not repeat.

there is nothing to do if you aren't a drinker.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Small private college in small, idyllic community surrounded by rural, forested area. It was exactly what I wanted, academically and setting-wise. Town was about 6,000, college student pop. was 2,500.

The town was very much a college town, with the businesses catering to the college community, and the college being pretty integral to the town's identity.

Probably about 70% of the students were from a large, urban metro about 60 miles away (not I; I was from out of state) and there was definitely a subgroup of those students who did not adjust well, and ended up going home every weekend, or transferring. The college did a great job with student life, and the atmosphere was great, but ultimately, there were always gonna be people who needed a more urban experience to be comfortable. Urban life wasn't a big draw for me at that point of life, though, and I loved where I was.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The most important criterion is: can you get pizza delivered to your room at 0100?
I got it at 3 am once. No problem!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I had the traditional College Town experience. Biggest place I'd ever lived and it was fun.

I'd primarily pick the school based on academics/scholarship/program quality over location.

All things being equal, I'd probably pick the traditional college town.

Be sure to check out Northwestern. It's in a suburb (Evanston), but it a short ride away from downtown Chicago.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be somewhere small and isolated like Dartmouth, especially if it snowed a lot during the winters.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I did both, preferred the city. Went to a cornfield Univ. first. Felt very isolated. Did not help that I just did not like the classes I took and many of the professors that I had to take the gen eds with. Although back then, the store was a single AG supply store. and a very expensive women's clothing shop. So not many places to work except restaurants. Now at least there is a w*lmart there. Did have lots of friends though and social life was very fun. (football/basketball games and all that)

Transferred to the city Univ. Lived at home (saving $$). So did not have to deal with the dorms. Which I liked, but did not like the loudness and the fact that I was sick all the time. The school was a private school which I liked a lot better in that I got more personalized educational experience due to small classes. Public transportation ended up saving me lots of $$. Because I was around a big city it was easier to find a job during college.

In retrospect though, Did not have to do with where the college was so much, but which school was a better fit for my major. Because my first 2 years were gen-eds I had lots of profs with attitudes. Not exactly sure why. Was very discouraging for me to be around the negativity.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

I also think even though a college town can be boring thats kind of part of the allure is finding stupi things to do with friends to keep yourself entratained. I also like that in a college town oftentimes kids outnumber regular residents so you get a bit more slack on things like having parties, being loud, underage drinking, etc.

I also liked that being in a rural setting we had a lot of state parks and things like that to go hangout at, swim, have bonfires, etc.
You got it; small college towns are boring. There's nothing to do, except spend weekends getting away to the nearest city to do stuff. You can only go to state parks and go camping if someone in your group has a car. Big towns and cities are better. Lots of restaurants, museums, and other attractions. Lots of opportunity to pick up a part-time job, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities