U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM

159 posts, read 141,861 times
I'm in school now for my MOT... so far it's been challenging but nothing you cannot tackle..... OT is definitely a field of the future and as there are not many out there, the demand is high as it is for PTs.... I'm glad I chose this field b/c it was either this or finance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,835,501 times
I was looking at OT programs but you need a lot of science as pre reqs. I know you needed a lab bio and some anatomy classes. I took astro and geography for science and did not want to go back and take those classes. Look online at some schools that might interest you and check to see what the prereqs are to get an idea...

OT is easier to get into compared to PT programs b/c there is a small supply of students. OT jobs are also easier to come by then PT jobs (but PT is in demand as well)...really the demand for OT is quite large and a really great field to get into. I would not look into physical education because in this recession, I know some schools are cutting back for have hired laid off teachers to fill openings in phys ed.

If you did not want to go for OT, you could look into becoming an OT or PT aide. This would get your feet wet and if you wanted to get your masters, you would have a lot of familiarity within the field.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
i am in 12th-science without maths now and yet i hav not decided my career.....i thought about biotechengineering but i hav very free knowledge about it.......would anybody suggest some medical or any other fields as per my stream which does not require more than 4 to 5 years.?? pls mention the salary aswell....

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,972,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masooma View Post
i am in 12th-science without maths now and yet i hav not decided my career.....i thought about biotechengineering but i hav very free knowledge about it.......would anybody suggest some medical or any other fields as per my stream which does not require more than 4 to 5 years.?? pls mention the salary aswell....
I would at first recommend that you take a writing course. Your post screams of someone who is a texting "expert", but struggles at writing a short paragraph to ask a very serious question.

If you want a serious response from everyone in helping you with your future employment decisions, you have to put your questions in a more adult format. Employers will scrutinize your writing as well as colleges when they read your application to their master's programs.

In answer to your "stream" (whatever that means), your best bet for getting into the medical field without getting a bachelors degree IMHO (put that in so you know I'm with it) would be as a PTA (physical therapy assistant) OTA (occupational therapy assistant) dental hygienist, getting licensed practical nursing diploma or possibly getting an associates degree in nursing. There are other positions such as medical assisting, medical transcriptionist, and medical records, but they are basically minimum wage positions. There are other specialized positions such as surgical tech, x-ray tech as well as certain bioengineering diplomas where you work on the equipment. Pay for these fields will be more in line with the PTA and OTA positions.

The best paying, but hardest to achieve would be the AA in nursing. You would graduate with the opportunity to take the test to become a registered nurse. As an RN with an associates degree you will be paid the same money as someone who has their bachelors degree while working on the floor. You will not, however, be considered for any advancement positions as most of those have the requirement of a bachelors degree. It is an intelligent stepping stone to getting your bachelors.

There are a lot of other diploma jobs in the medical field available at technical schools for 2 or less years schooling that are quite specialized. The key to these type of careers is whether or not there is a good demand for these specialized fields. Be carefull in pursuing a more "off the wall" field. It may be so specialized that every hospital only employs 1 or 2 employees.

Last edited by jmgg; 03-28-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 957 times
i am an international graduated OT . I am wondering about taking the NBCOT exam but i need to be eligable first. my question is if there is any internationally graduated OT that made the eligibility through OTED , is the research project mandatory ? and if yes how i can do it now?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWAg View Post
In Texas, you may be a registered occupational or physical therapist with either a Master's or Doctoral degree.
i am currently pursuing my bachelors in ot..i would like to knw whether doing a masters in ot is a prerequisite for jobs in TX..wat are d oppurtunities for someone with just a bachelors in TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities