U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM

355 posts, read 1,820,366 times

Advertisements

I have a nephew who is interested in being an occupational therapist. I have heard that recently, they have changed the requirement to become an occupational therapist from a bachelors degree level to a masters degree level. My question is; how long would it now take a fresh high school graduate to become an occupational therapist? Is anyone an occupational therapist? If so, what is the average starting salary for an occupational therapist? Tell me a little bit more about occupational therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM

3,815 posts, read 5,666,552 times
I can't give you the details on OT as a career, but I can tell you as a special needs educator, I think occupational therapy is going to play an increasingly major role in education and somebody embarking on that career path now will likely have great opportunities.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM

617 posts, read 2,201,861 times
Although I can't give you specific answers, my wife is an OT and I can tell you it is in very high demand. She gets 1-3 solicitations/week for employment opportuinities in OT. I'm sure location would have a say in that as well, but it does seem to be in demand all over the country as seen in OT magazines and their help wanted sections.

Just a rough guess... I think starting salaries are roughly $30-$40/hour. Again, depending on location and specialty. I agree that school based/children's therapy is looking like the way to go for a secure future in the field. This is based solely on the positions offered through the OT publications etc...

I would say you need to be a people person to be a good OT, or at least to like the job you're doing. If your nephew is considering OT, then he has already made the choice to help people, and that's a good start. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM

8 posts, read 130,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I have a nephew who is interested in being an occupational therapist. I have heard that recently, they have changed the requirement to become an occupational therapist from a bachelors degree level to a masters degree level. My question is; how long would it now take a fresh high school graduate to become an occupational therapist? Is anyone an occupational therapist? If so, what is the average starting salary for an occupational therapist? Tell me a little bit more about occupational therapy.

Yes, you now have to have a Master's to be an OT. I'm an OT and I got my masters before that requirement was passed, just because I wanted to. It sounds hard, but it's not that bad. The way the school I went to did it was like this: if you're a high school student wanting to go into OT you first get your undergraduate degree in Occupational Science, which is a 4 year program. Then, it takes one additional year to get your Masters degree. As far as salary goes it varies greatly from setting to setting and from location to location. Also, some OTs work full time or choose to work part time or PRN so it's hard to say what to expect salary wise. I'd advise you to look at the occupational outlook handbook at: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition for some basic info and The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. for more info about OT as a profession. Tell your nephew to feel free to contact me with more specific questions about his area of interest. I work in a nursing home setting now but I've had experience from working with children to mental health hospitals to vocational rehabilitation and lots of other places.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 AM

5 posts, read 89,656 times
I'm in grad school currently for music therapy (a cousin to OT). My school - Texas Woman's University - is one of the top schools for putting out highly qualified therapy professionals. Here's the page on the grad program in OT: [url=http://www.twu.edu/ot/entry_mot.htm]School of Occupational Therapy, Texas Woman's University[/url].

Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 75,786 times
Do you happen to have any idea what it would take to bridge from a RN to OT with or without specialization in school based or special needs children therapy?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 70,580 times
Default Question about Texas Woman's University Program

I see your posting from some time ago that you were in music therapy program at TWU. I will be applying for OT program there this fall and I live in Woodlands which is about an hour drive. I was wondering if the program is difficult - yours at least. Is it time consuming - how many hours a day do I have to spend in classroom and how many days a week? Is it every day program. Is it 2-3 hours a day or it is like full time work from 9 to 5? I tries few times to reach someone at the OT program office but my messages were not returned so I was wondering if you can tell me a little what your experience was. I appriciate it. Lana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcrazyhorn View Post
I'm in grad school currently for music therapy (a cousin to OT). My school - Texas Woman's University - is one of the top schools for putting out highly qualified therapy professionals. Here's the page on the grad program in OT: School of Occupational Therapy, Texas Woman's University.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 69,251 times
I am currently a high school student and am going to college to achieve my Masters in OT. First of all before you can get into the program you have to have your prerequistes out of the way and have worked for at least 20 hours with an OT or OTA.

Starting out they make about 32 in Arkansas.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 AM

917 posts, read 1,756,895 times
My best friend's little sister is starting her MA in OT this fall. She had 4 years of undergrad and the programs she looked at were 2-3 years depending on how she did the internships (some allowed them to do them over the summer, some make them do it during a semester so the program takes longer). Bare minimum of 6 years to finish the schooling part.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,146,239 times
I beleive in TX OT or PT is now a Doctoral level certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities