Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they stopped student loans altogether college would be cheaper. The colleges would have to lower their tuition to get students.
And if they stopped government funding, a bunch of crappy diploma mills would disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And if they stopped government funding, a bunch of crappy diploma mills would disappear.
Hmmm, I'm inclined to think this is the lesser of 2 evils.

It's a shame government can't put a cap on student tuitions. That's where the issue's at.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Default The Ivory Tower

Anyone else see the Ivory Tower by CNN very interesting stuff about the debt vs the graduation rate

Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,714 times
It definitely is a complicated issue -- and I found both truth and exaggerations/untruths in the documentary. I must admit that costs and loan debt have gotten far out of control, and that students need to educate themselves on what is viable (and schools need to be proactive in advising students). Though I believe that education is highly valuable in general, going to college isn't for everyone (students are being led to believe there's an automatic payoff at the end); it really depends on what you what to do. Many very successful people never went or dropped out. I am highly educated, but my plumber, who is an awesome guy but educated differently, makes more than I do and works hard for it and knows his field well -- which I fully respect. Higher education in the US, as a system, is quite broken, and I've been on the "inside" for about 8 years now and have been disappointed in many ways (the politics, the egos, the bureaucracy); yet I also know I have helped many students, and learned so much myself, and that makes the questionable days worthwhile.

My advice to anyone considering going is to do their research . . .

Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
"Imagine a large corporate machine mobilized to get you to buy something you don't need at a tremendously inflated cost, complete with advertising, marketing, and branding that says you're not hip if you don't have one, but when you get one you discover it's of poor quality and obsolete in ten months. That's a BA"

Old 11-26-2014, 04:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they stopped student loans altogether college would be cheaper. The colleges would have to lower their tuition to get students.

Why on earth should student loans be stopped? The interest rate should be lowered, if anything.

Is your last name "Koch"?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:

Example - University of Phoenix, big contributors to the Republican party.

Only 15% of students who enter graduate. Now that's a racket that should lose regional accreditation and be shut down.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
I saw this. Interesting indeed. Sad really. And the fact that the Cooper Union president stayed in power making ~700k per year for presiding over only 1,000 students. More money than the president of Harvard, disgusting.

He needs to be voted out and take 600k of that salary to make tuition free again.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. It's propaganda. There's some truth here and there, but most of it is twisted nonsense.

College isn't for everyone. Most of these problems are related to everyone trying to go to college but failing (either in college, or after college).
I agree. This show actually did a good job of showing that side too.

OP, i believe it was actually 86% who dont graduate in 4 years!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Because they seem more focused on themselves instead of the greater good of the school. In this day and age they have been blessed with no tuition and things changed because the school over extended itself. What's done is done and finger pointing on what could of been is pointless just like sitting in the presidents office for days. The whole thing seemed like a waste of time and did nothing to fix Cooper's money issues. And it muddled the documentary.

I disagree. I found the Cooper stuff very interesting. The students actually had zero interest in themselves because they were automatically grandfathered in under the new policy as they tell you when it is announced. They were trying to protect the legacy of their school to remain free.

The fact that the Cooper Union president stayed in power making ~750k per year for presiding over only 1,000 students, more money than the president of Harvard, disgusting.

Sounds like he made some poor choices with the college's money. The whole point of Cooper is that is, or was, a free education. It is, or was, part of their mission statement. The board probably voted him in and backed his plans and now they feel powerless to do anything because that would be admitting that they were wrong in the first place.

He needs to be voted out and take 600k of that salary to make tuition free again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities