Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,629 times

Advertisements

I suggest a review of 'life-experience-degrees-suck.webs.com or life-experience-degree-scams-and-teaching.webs.com. Good stuff if you are considering an alternative degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 AM

143 posts, read 378,008 times
There was an article on abcnews about diploma mills which noted that anytime a university offers degrees on the cheap with your 'life skills', it's probably a scam. No reputable university will give degrees for an essay on your job, and none will have a $500 sticker price.

They interviewed one lady that was scammed with a fake M.D. She received life credit from her many years spent as a medical assistant towards her medical degree. After that, it was an essay and she received an M.D in a matter of weeks after paying something north of $1000. She was ready to hang a shingle....not sure how she was caught though...hopefully not because she killed a patient.

Anyways, degree scams are common in this day of degree obsession. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. You can't substitute years of work for an essay, no matter how successful. Even Bill Gates receives only honorary degrees.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,606 times
I suggest that those who are considering life experience degrees Google 'life experience degrees suck'. Some good info to protect the innocent and gullible.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: new posters cannot post links

Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Thank you for the info Accounts. I just came across another helpful site: . Remeber, knowledge is power, but only if it's correct knowledge.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-28-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: sorry, new posters cannot post links

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I really hate it when colleges give degrees to people based on "life experience." I don't understand why they do this or why people even accept those sort of degrees.
Because may people are too "advanced from life" to take a bunch of Intro classes. To get them into school you need a way for them to get classes that will "advance" them further and those are graduate classes. So, they need to get a 4 year degree quick so they can sign up for graduate classes.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Because may people are too "advanced from life" to take a bunch of Intro classes. To get them into school you need a way for them to get classes that will "advance" them further and those are graduate classes. So, they need to get a 4 year degree quick so they can sign up for graduate classes.
Indeed. They need to get that 4 year degree quick. So, to avoid the years aspect and the study aspect perhaps they can hop a ride with Dr. Who.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, to avoid the years aspect and the study aspect perhaps they can hop a ride with Dr. Who.
If Dr. Who is the professor at school who approves life credits, then yes you are correct.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
If Dr. Who is the professor at school who approves life credits, then yes you are correct.
I suspect he is. I imagine he is also has a life experience degree. Is that allowed?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Default Watch out for Life Experience Degrees!

My wife came across a book on diploma mills written in 1960, so it's nothing new. Maybe there were fake apostle clay tablets issued at the time of Christ by some kind of grain mill turned diploma mill. Back to my rant, how can people buy a diploma from a site the has a 24 hour help desk, instant approval, huge discounts, and one week delivery. Come on folks, do you think an employer won't see this when he/she looks it up? I'm not saying it's wrong, just a very stupid way to do it. There are folks out there that just missed the boat on getting a degree. I know that some of them are very knowledgeable in their field and have used L.E.D.s. I'm not passing a value judgment on doing it, that is completely your responsibility, not mine, but don't be stupid if you do decide to take an alternative degree route. Just make sure that your school is/was real and has a .edu site. Anything with a .com, .org, or .net site is not a school and never was, it's a business, period. 'Life experience degrees suck' gives a good explanation of it. Try a Google, and also the vids. If you're going to do it, get all the information you can and do it right. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck in your career.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Simple advice.

If its not ACCREDITED!! walk away..
Even if it is I don't need a degree to validate my life.

What a hideous waste of money and effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities