Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am referring to the idea that a person who gets a music degree is not using their degree unless they are performing music. When I write about "all or nothing" thinking I am writing about the idea that unless a person with a music degree is a performing musician their degree is useless. A music degree is much broader than a license to be a hairdresser. There are other jobs a person can get with a degree in music. That person can still be successful even if they have a job that does not involve music.

I have a good friend with an undergraduate degree in theater. She works at a bank making 6 figures and she is under 30 years old. Do you really see her degree as totally useless simply because she is not working in the theater industry?
To some extent in many industrie and companies you can't get hired or can't get promoted unless you at a minimum have a bachelors degree so in that sense even though that degree is just a piece of paper its a piece of paper that can open some doors. My former manager was a theatre major, he was also a terrible manager as well so not sure if thats more a result of him or his degree lol but overall though there are people with degrees in English, History and Leisure studies making good money with good jobs I don't necessarily think its the best way to go. Most hiring managers if they have someone with a marketing or business background vs a theatre, music, history degree they are going to go with teh marketing guy. I do agree though that just having a bachelors regardless of what its in does have the ability to open many doors if you can sell yourself and why your a god fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
To some extent in many industrie and companies you can't get hired or can't get promoted unless you at a minimum have a bachelors degree so in that sense even though that degree is just a piece of paper its a piece of paper that can open some doors. My former manager was a theatre major, he was also a terrible manager as well so not sure if thats more a result of him or his degree lol but overall though there are people with degrees in English, History and Leisure studies making good money with good jobs I don't necessarily think its the best way to go. Most hiring managers if they have someone with a marketing or business background vs a theatre, music, history degree they are going to go with teh marketing guy. I do agree though that just having a bachelors regardless of what its in does have the ability to open many doors if you can sell yourself and why your a god fit.
I agree that it can be easier to get started with a more specific degree. I think once you establish a track record it doesn't matter all that much.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:41 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I know the topic of people going for general liberal arts degrees and non specific degrees has been talked to death but this topic is a bit different.

Being from Chicago I can't tell you how many people I have known who went to Columbia in Chicago the arts school for graphic design, music producing, video games, etc.

Columbia is a VERY expensive school and on top of just the expense of school Chicago and being in the loop is an expensive place to live as well everything from food to gas to snacks is going to be super expensive. I have had many friends come out of school with close to if not over 100k in debt.

In my mind going to Columbia is going after a dream. I think that's cool but at the same time its almost like saying I want to be a professional athlete, only a very small percent can make it. Though maybe one kid who goes to Columbia for music producing will be the next big thing in music and make millions but the vast majority will wind up working for schools and churches or doing many small contract type jobs to supplement themselves.

As for graphic design and other fields, again graphic designers are a dime a dozen, I see many doing gigs on fiverr or craigslist for peanuts because there's so much competition.

I personally would probably advise many of these people to get an internship or get a job working in a studio and learn on the job instead of paying 30 or 50k a year to go to school for it. Not only will you make money and make contacts wile working but your also not getting yourself 100k in debt.

Just curious what others thoughts are on this. Would you encourage someone to follow their dreams and go to Columbia or similar schools for some of these degrees or would you encourage them to get a more practical degree and take a class at a community college in this, or rent studio time or get an internship?
If you have a passion, follow it! What makes you happy is a good clue as to why you were put on this earth.

My son is an second year art student at a well renegaded North East Liberal arts college. Through this prestigious college, he has established links to a paid internship in his field.

He intends to obtain two masters degrees - an MFA in Studio Art and and MA in Archaeology.He is already thinking about a PhD. in archaeology

My daughter intends to major in Politics with a minor or double major in Journalism.

As I have told my children "Follow your bliss"" ( Joseph Campbell.

That is what will bring you prosperity and happiness.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
A pretty arrogant attitude that anyone who has a skill and isn't some academic is a little person or unimportant. In my experience hte people with all this knowledge are oftentimes the ones who know stuff in theory but not in practice. Some of the wealthiest people out there have skills they were able to parlay into a business. I can't imagine running a business and expecting employees to listen to me when I don't have any skills.
You don't have to be able to put your theories into practice if you can motivate other people to do that for you.

You can't imagine yourself doing that. Ok. Other people can.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
You don't have to be able to put your theories into practice if you can motivate other people to do that for you.

You can't imagine yourself doing that. Ok. Other people can.
People see through bs and the best leaders and managers are the ones who can work side by side with their employees or followers. It doesn't mean you have to be in the trenches all the time but people can see through someone who can't or won't do that and won't resepect or follow them.

I was just watching an episode of the Prophet the other day and this family bbq restaurant in South Carolina had a brother in law who wanted to join the business but he basically only had certain things he knew how to do or was willing to do which was basically sit back do nothing and consult. He got tossed out of the business pretty quick as everyone realized he knew nothing and brought no value.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
People see through bs and the best leaders and managers are the ones who can work side by side with their employees or followers. It doesn't mean you have to be in the trenches all the time but people can see through someone who can't or won't do that and won't resepect or follow them.

I was just watching an episode of the Prophet the other day and this family bbq restaurant in South Carolina had a brother in law who wanted to join the business but he basically only had certain things he knew how to do or was willing to do which was basically sit back do nothing and consult. He got tossed out of the business pretty quick as everyone realized he knew nothing and brought no value.
You are right. What is your point, though?

Personally I think the best leaders are the people who genuinely want to see other people succeed. I don't think having a skill is as important to leadership as being able to identify and communicate with people who do have skills.

"Little people" is not the phrase I would use. (I was quoting another poster)

Old 12-02-2014, 12:40 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
As for Bill Gates and those guys being outliers yes in terms of the heights of success they reached but not really for their industry. Most computer builders, programers, etc are self taught. Its something you either get or you don't get.

I know a few guys like this and they were writing code at like 12 or 14 years old without ever being taught anything. Its just something thats in you or its not. Not taht you can't learn but its like playing an instrament, some people just have like a natural ability.

As far as if its possile to learn in the field. Absoltely. You can try to get a job at a music studio basically being an intern or even just a guy taking down and setting up studios, running for coffee, whatever even if your the lowest guy you develpe some relationships, maybe someone takes you under their wing, maybe they let you sit in on some sessions but stuff like that is definately pheosible.

Also, typically if your enrolled at a college evne a single class at a community college you can typically get lab time for free. You don't have to go to some 50k a year school, most community colleges have pretty good computers, music studios, etc. For the low cost of a couple hundred bucks for a class you get to learn and get free lab time to use their equipment if its smething which would be cost prohibitive to buy yourself.
I was not self taught computer programming. I was taught BASIC at age 11 or 12 in a private school. At 14 I took Pascal and 16 I took C++.

It's much easier these days to self teach computer programming because of the internet. Not so 20 years ago.

One thing to note, when it comes to Computer/Software Engineering, all software engineers are computer programmers. However, not all computer programmers are Computer or Software engineers.

Fundamentally though, most employers want that piece of paper.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
You are right. What is your point, though?

Personally I think the best leaders are the people who genuinely want to see other people succeed. I don't think having a skill is as important to leadership as being able to identify and communicate with people who do have skills.

"Little people" is not the phrase I would use. (I was quoting another poster)
What's my point, that true leaders and people who are actually effective respect the people working under them and don't think of them as little people. They realize that the big important moves they make wouldn't be possible without the "little people". Also again I think employees smell through BS and won't follow someone who has this attitude or who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
What's my point, that true leaders and people who are actually effective respect the people working under them and don't think of them as little people. They realize that the big important moves they make wouldn't be possible without the "little people". Also again I think employees smell through BS and won't follow someone who has this attitude or who doesn't know what they are talking about.
Well in that case I will have to agree with you.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
You should follow your dreams as long as they're realistic because it motivates you. If you aspire to become an F-22 pilot, you'll struggle for a long time. That means your goal is to fly, so you have to start with something from the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities