Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

One of the things you should have learned how to do in law school is research. No one here knows what your interests are, but start there, and then explore the possibilities in those fields. Even if not specifically legal work, you are qualified to do research, analysis, summarizing information, being an advocate of a person or position. Check with the career placement office of your school, they may have helpful resources as well as listings of specific job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 6,192 times
meh law degrees are underrated
pour moi cant get enough of that lovey dovey fjeeling

Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
I work with several ex-lawyers who now do contract administration.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
One of the things you should have learned how to do in law school is research. No one here knows what your interests are, but start there, and then explore the possibilities in those fields. Even if not specifically legal work, you are qualified to do research, analysis, summarizing information, being an advocate of a person or position. Check with the career placement office of your school, they may have helpful resources as well as listings of specific job opportunities.
I'm doing the research but I thought that maybe someone would mention an industry I didn't think of looking into. Sometimes, getting opinions is better than abstract online research.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I'm doing the research but I thought that maybe someone would mention an industry I didn't think of looking into. Sometimes, getting opinions is better than abstract online research.
Again, OP, if you can get an internship somewhere, anywhere, your networking options will open up, and you'll get a source of recommendations, as well as some experience. And the suggestion to go to your university placement office, and law schools usually have their own, was fundamental. I'm guessing you didn't get top grades in law school, because the law school job placement offices always make an effort to place their top grads.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Do some more. Almost EVERY industry needs attorneys.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
It helps if we know your pre-law school education and experience.

The folks that didn't go into law in my graduating class usually did something connected to their former experience: foreign service officer with the state department, intelligence officer with the military, law enforcement, asylum officer with the DHS, journalist, sales for Westlaw, tax consulting, adjuster for an insurer, insurance agent, securities broker, benefits consultant, staffer for politicians, professor, high school teacher, technical writer, PR, speech writer, inspectors, etc.

For a temporary job, most did grunt work like do document review for large law firms or contracting firms, do paralegal type work at corporations, firms or the government, or did things like title searches for title insurers or agents.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
OP has a Law Degree but failed to mention passing the Bar Exam....big difference.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
OP has a Law Degree but failed to mention passing the Bar Exam....big difference.
I studied in Europe. The system is different over there. Right after high school, one gets enrolls in an LL.B program (Bachelor of Laws) which once completed opens doors to either sit the Bar exam or pursue graduate studies. This is what "Law degree" meant in this context.

This issue has been settled. Thank you all for your help!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Maybe look into working for the federal government. Every agency has its own legal department with its own attorneys. Or, you legal education would qualify you for other positions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities