Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Those who don't need handholding, don't need higher education. But for the rest of the folks who aren't Einstein... your typical non-genius individual, a college education is a nice asset. The entire purpose of college is to handhold you through the learning of tacit knowledge from knowledge experts (professors). It's not about reading a textbook and answering questions. You can do that outside of college if that's all you want. If you're Albert Einstein-like and can teach yourself new ways to think in 15 weeks, go for online education.
For employment and/or licensure purposes, they do need a degree in many cases. You don't need to be a genius to not need hand holding. Anyway, I'm getting my masters online at a school that does have full-time professors. I can always email them or call them and they engage in discussions with students just about every week. I'm not a science major, so I don't need anyone standing next to me in a lab. Have you ever taken an online course? You don't seem to know how one works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
You can (and should) conduct and complete research offline even if you are enrolled in an online class.
That assumes that you can learn to conduct and complete research yourself. That's like saying that you can learn to fly a plane by yourself. Sure you can read manuals, but without an instructor in the plane with you, you will crash several times before you master the skill.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The research is done offline as another poster noted.
Like I said to the other poster, that assumes that you can learn to conduct and complete research yourself. That's like saying that you can learn to fly a plane by yourself. Sure you can read manuals, but without an instructor in the plane with you, you will crash several times before you master the skill.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Like I said to the other poster, that assumes that you can learn to conduct and complete research yourself. That's like saying that you can learn to fly a plane by yourself. Sure you can read manuals, but without an instructor in the plane with you, you will crash several times before you master the skill.
I'm not sure I would compare research with flying a plane, but people have different learning styles. I know that when I was training for my commercial driver's license, I drove better when an instructor wasn't in my ear. However, flying a plane and driving a commercial vehicle are physical tasks much like having to deal with chemicals or organisms in a lab. Doing research for a political science thesis is not.

I got better grades in high school when I stopped listening to my teachers and started teaching myself from the textbooks. It worked out well because I graduated with an A average. I'm just not an auditory learner. I'm not a visual or tactile learner either. I'm a visual-verbal learner who learns best by seeing written instruction.

Last edited by L210; 12-14-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
You seem to be have an extreme bias towards on-line learning purely based on your own degree choice. Trust me, there are plenty of degrees that require neither research or much interaction. That is why these on-line programs are booming in the first place. While I don't foresee on-line chemistry degrees in the near future, I see no reason for someone to step foot in a classroom for something like "hotel management" or even business administration.
I'm not familiar with business administration at the undergraduate level. But there's no way you can get an MBA completely online. I've observed MBA programs at Wharton, Harvard (ugh), Rutgers (also ugh) and Columbia. MBAs require you to be constantly dealing with real world problems presented by real companies. You have to go from company to company, assess their problems and provide assessments. You also study case studies which require you to interview economists, financial researchers, professors and CEOs to understand. I can assure you that you can't do that online or on a phone. I also assure you that the CEO of Johnson & Johnson is not going to speak to an online class about the Tylenol case. Something that they will do to a class at a real b&m university.

In regards to hospitality, it's all tacit knowledge. My cousin went through the hospitality program at Cornell. The program is part textbook theory and part practical study. One of the things he had to do (with his class) was find a location and design a successful hotel for Hilton brand hotels. Matt Hart himself came in and spent several sessions with the class and eventually was responsible for grading the student's efforts. You think that students at an online school can get that kind of experience and learning?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Sorry...U of P Nursing is NOT accrediated by NLNAC-so if you attend U of P for Nursing no other college will accept the credits.... NLNAC is the gold standared for nursing (ADN and BSN)...

CCNE Accredited Nursing Degree Programs

Well I guess you should let all these national level Uni's across the US know they don't have the gold standard. I knew Yale and John Hopkins University were crap schools :P

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-15-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 PM

107 posts, read 249,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
In my experience that is an overgeneralization that is not accurate. I've sat in traditional classrooms where the students sit like a bump on a log. The most challenging classes I have taken have been on-line.
Same here. It requires much more discipline than just showing up everyday which is what many of my courses in the classroom have required. I have found I study harder and have learned more from my online courses. Also with the bulletin boards you have usually have to participate on, I find that I also interact more online with other students and know them on a deeper level than the ones I have been in class with face to face.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 PM

107 posts, read 249,626 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with business administration at the undergraduate level. But there's no way you can get an MBA completely online. I've observed MBA programs at Wharton, Harvard (ugh), Rutgers (also ugh) and Columbia. MBAs require you to be constantly dealing with real world problems presented by real companies. You have to go from company to company, assess their problems and provide assessments. You also study case studies which require you to interview economists, financial researchers, professors and CEOs to understand. I can assure you that you can't do that online or on a phone. I also assure you that the CEO of Johnson & Johnson is not going to speak to an online class about the Tylenol case. Something that they will do to a class at a real b&m university.
I'm sure it works like a lot of the online medical programs do. You have a local preceptor in your area and they help oversee your work and act like a mentor and also arrange your clinical hours for you at local hospitals, community health organizations, nursing homes, etc. They are experiencing the same type of situations but it is just arranged differently.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
For employment and/or licensure purposes, they do need a degree in many cases. You don't need to be a genius to not need hand holding. Anyway, I'm getting my masters online at a school that does have full-time professors. I can always email them or call them and they engage in discussions with students just about every week. I'm not a science major, so I don't need anyone standing next to me in a lab. Have you ever taken an online course? You don't seem to know how one works.
I took an online course before. I took Steve Blank's Lean Startup course at Stanford University online. It required 3 visits to the University for 1-week each time (3 weeks total) and the rest was online. The online portion required submissions through an online system throughout each week and one video conference every Tuesday where we would each have to present our learnings and get feedback. It was a good overall experience.

I have nothing against online classes. Online classes can work. But entire degrees that are online is where the problem lies. Because online degrees tend to focus on online classes and not the rest of what college offers. Classes are only a small part of college.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
I took an online course before. I took Steve Blank's Lean Startup course at Stanford University online. It required 3 visits to the University for 1-week each time (3 weeks total) and the rest was online. The online portion required submissions through an online system throughout each week and one video conference every Tuesday where we would each have to present our learnings and get feedback. It was a good overall experience.

I have nothing against online classes. Online classes can work. But entire degrees that are online is where the problem lies. Because online degrees tend to focus on online classes and not the rest of what college offers. Classes are only a small part of college.
Before I became a patent attorney, I earned my MS in Comp Sci at an online school. It was an incredible experience, one that was far more challenging than I expected. I interacted with my fellow classmates on a weekly basis, sometimes by email and texting. Other times by phone. My professors were extremely qualified and very inspiring. They were always available and very responsive. The textbooks we studied from were the same ones used in the Computer Science program at Stanford. I know because I worked at the bookstore on campus. Like any program, you get out of it what you put into it. The experience was empowering and elevated my technical knowledge in the field. So be careful about making sweeping generalizations.

Not everyone can get into a brick-and-mortar graduate program and many times this is due to their personal circumstances. People have jobs, kids, other obligations. They don't have time to study for the GRE or attend classes in the traditional format. I don't think they should be penalized for accepting an alternative path.

I went to a fine private college in the Midwest for my undergraduate work, and I agree, that the experience was incredible. Doing undergraduate in the online format would not have been as dynamic or interactive. But then again, some people prefer the online format, and as long as they get out of it what they desire, I don't see any reason to condemn it.

Thumbs up on online schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities