Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,645,336 times

Advertisements

There is a for-profit community college here in NYC (I won't name it!) Tuition is a bit over $12,000. And that is tuition, alone. CUNY CC's are 1/3 of that in tuition.

There was a note in the article about sales techniques. Well, this for-protit has a football program. Not only were there subway ads about the school's athletics, but even "Nick Saban recruited" there, according to the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,696,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not familiar with business administration at the undergraduate level. But there's no way you can get an MBA completely online. I've observed MBA programs at Wharton, Harvard (ugh), Rutgers (also ugh) and Columbia. MBAs require you to be constantly dealing with real world problems presented by real companies. You have to go from company to company, assess their problems and provide assessments. You also study case studies which require you to interview economists, financial researchers, professors and CEOs to understand. I can assure you that you can't do that online or on a phone. I also assure you that the CEO of Johnson & Johnson is not going to speak to an online class about the Tylenol case. Something that they will do to a class at a real b&m university.

In regards to hospitality, it's all tacit knowledge. My cousin went through the hospitality program at Cornell. The program is part textbook theory and part practical study. One of the things he had to do (with his class) was find a location and design a successful hotel for Hilton brand hotels. Matt Hart himself came in and spent several sessions with the class and eventually was responsible for grading the student's efforts. You think that students at an online school can get that kind of experience and learning?
My wife just finished her MBA on-line from a major B&M, yes it can be done. Some of her classes did have guest lectures who conducted Q&As on-line in real time. I work at a large tech company. We have offices all over the world, with R&D teams scattered all over the world. Our teams manage to develop multimillion dollar products with the majority of the team members never meeting face-to-face. All business conducted on-line, on the phone, and via video conferencing. The world is changing, and based on your attitude you'll be the one left behind.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,645,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
There is a for-profit community college here in NYC (I won't name it!) Tuition is a bit over $12,000. And that is tuition, alone. CUNY CC's are 1/3 of that in tuition.

There was a note in the article about sales techniques. Well, this for-protit has a football program. Not only were there subway ads about the school's athletics, but even "Nick Saban recruited" there, according to the website.
The ad is correct. OT Leon Brown, 6-6, 315, signed with Bama!

Now that I've said that, the school is Asa! They actually went 9-1. And how is a for-profit juco school in NYC getting 6-6, 315 pound football players?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,336,737 times
Declining? LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,696,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
My wife just finished her MBA on-line from a major B&M, yes it can be done. Some of her classes did have guest lectures who conducted Q&As on-line in real time. I work at a large tech company. We have offices all over the world, with R&D teams scattered all over the world. Our teams manage to develop multimillion dollar products with the majority of the team members never meeting face-to-face. All business conducted on-line, on the phone, and via video conferencing. The world is changing, and based on your attitude you'll be the one left behind.
I will follow up with one thing. If you're getting an MBA or similar Masters there is one big advantage of a traditional on campus degree. Networking. Two of my co-workers finished their MBA's in the past year, and they said this was the biggest plus of the program. You meet a lot of people in industry and often form bounds with them through your classes. While you also network with people in on-line courses, odds are they're not in the same city as you. Good if you're looking to move, but not great for local connections.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,654,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The world of higher education will be a better place when the University of Phoenix and similar for profit diploma mills are flushed from existence.
Staple this on the forehead of everyone who has any connection with University of Phoenix.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,970,182 times
Irony: Regionally Accredited online Master's degree in every other subject besides history? A billion or so.
Regionally Accredited online Master's in History? 2 or 3.

Why?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. For-profit schools pretty much only offer degrees that are in high demand by their customers. Some of them attract a certain set of clientele, so they will offer degree programs in subjects like history. The American Public University System is one of them. There are a lot more than just 2 or 3 online master's programs in history with most of them probably being offered by non-profit schools.
27 Online History Disciplines Masters Programs & Graduate Schools Page No: 1 - GradSchools.com
Online Degree Search Results: 1358 Accredited Online Masters Degree Programs | GetEducated.com
Online Masters Degrees in History - Online Masters Degree Programs in History

Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,970,182 times
Thanks for trying--but did you look carefully at these links? I have before, but I looked again.

Some are overseas schools (degrees no good in US), many are for (yawn) military history, or are theologically based and pushing a religion, or Masters of Education with History emphasis--not the same. The second link doesn't even list History in the subject list.

Yes, there were 2 or 3 for a straight Masters in History...which is what I originally stated. But, thanks again.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times
I don't know what happened to the second link, but I counted 4 degree programs in the 1st and 3rd. The University of Louisiana - Monroe offers an online master's in history, so that's 5. According to the Southern Association website, Western Kentucky University offers an online master's in history. That makes 6. I think I have a list of more at home, but I don't have access to that document now.

Just to be clear:
Norwich University
Union Institute & University (I didn't count this since it's in History and Culture)
American Public and American Military University
Sam Houston State University
Wayland Baptist University (this school has a religious affiliation like many private schools (Baylor), but it is mainstream)
Emporia State University
Western Kentucky University
University of Louisiana - Monroe
With a quick Google search, I found this:
Online Masters in History Degree | University of Nebraska Online Worldwide

There are more than just 2 or 3 straight online master's in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities