Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I don't understand your response. #1, 1989 was 20 years ago, and yes, business schools have changed that much because you have a lot more schools offering MBAs (for example, in Pittsburgh alone, 4 institutions that were mainly 4 year colleges now started graduate programs that include an MBA degree; none of them are AACSB accredited). #2, if you doubled your salary after earning your MBA, I don't see what your gripe is. Am I missing something here?
No gripe...I'm just trying to understand how things have changed...that's all--no hidden agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
No gripe...I'm just trying to understand how things have changed...that's all--no hidden agenda.
Oh ok, I apologize for my misunderstanding there.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
i am 45 and thinking of going back to school and have looked at university of phoenix. i would like to look into the psycology, does anyone know anything about those courses.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,124 times
Talking University of Phoenix Adult Learning

Good Day folks. I have read thru alot of the post here. I will tell you from experience that alot of companies are good with University of Phoenix education. In most case a company is looking for experience and certs for AA & BS level education. Alot of gov't contractor companies will have hire you based on your base of education and experience. The rates are high... But they lowered them for active duty service members 1 July 09 to $250 credit hour. So now TA and GI Bill will cover the cost with funds to spare.

As for the online education experience. It took me a while, but I do what is asked of me online now. I do learn some thing new during every class. So I think there is goodness in the course material. I am on my 15 class with them. 5 classes away from recieving my degree... I have been working at college for 20 years... This college will allowed me finish the degree.

My thoughts from my foxhole about U of P

Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy of upland View Post
i am 45 and thinking of going back to school and have looked at university of phoenix. i would like to look into the psycology, does anyone know anything about those courses.

First, I would do a lot of research on getting a psychology degree from anywhere. I know lots of psych majors and none of them have jobs in psychology.

I would love to work in psychology but after a lot of research, I found that you really have to get your PhD to get anywhere in that field. You may be able to get a job with a Masters and you likely wont find anything more than social work with a bachelors.

With that said, if you are really set on a psych degree then I would look elsewhere. I dont like U of P for anything but I especially wouldnt go for anything other than business with them. I seriously doubt anyone would take someone with a psych major from U of P seriously. It is hard enough getting a job from a reputable college with that degree. I wouldnt take a 4 year, $60K risk with U of P.

I would check out Park University. They have a Social Psychology program available through online only classes. The school is a true university that is only a fraction of the cost of U of P. Park University - Online, Undergraduate, and Graduate Degrees

Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
University of Phoenix is one big hidden agenda. They are a monster corporation disguising themselves as a university that cares about providing education to people. U of P cares about one thing and one thing only - profit. Lots and lots of profit. They could care less about the education they give or the success of their students.

I just saw a TV commercial for UofP yesterday. What universities besides UofP and ITT Tech...both for profit... advertise? WOW, a TV Commercial!!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I just saw a TV commercial for UofP yesterday. What universities besides UofP and ITT Tech...both for profit... advertise? WOW, a TV Commercial!!

A lot of universities advertise by TV commercials. I see ads for the University of Missouri, Kansas University, and Kansas State all the time here in KC.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
counselors are really salesmen. only thing i know with greater depreciation than a student loan is a new car.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times

YouTube - University of Phoenix 1

Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
I don't see the relevance now of UofP; unless, it is really to just educate those who could by no means get accepted into a different school.

A few years ago when UofP was one of the few doing distance education or nontraditional evening programs, I could see the value. However, I think they are sleazy and take advantage of people who just do not realize what else is out there.

Nowadays you can get fully online, regionally accredited (and even AACSB, etc) online and via nontraditional evening programs at well known universities who have excellent reputations.

I finished my degree (far cheaper than UofP) through a small private college in NC. The school is not heavily ranked, but many of my professors at my satellite campus were professors at Duke, NCSU, and UNC CH. The coursework was challenging and engaging. The classes met for 3 hours once a week and a few classes were offered online.

I took classes from NCSU and even Wake Tech via online methods for in-state tuition. Heck, the university system of NC has a special webpage just for online programs offered within the UNC system. Before the UNC system caught onto the nontraditional path of education, I took courses at UMUC (Univ of Maryland Univ College) as an out of state student. The costs were high, not as high as UofP at the time, but at least they came from a public, state sponsored institution. As with my school locally, several of my professors at UMUC also were professors at College Park.

Heck, this summer I took a Harvard Summer School course in Finance (VERY FUN and tough) via distance education. In fact Harvard has an extension school open to distance education students and evening courses in Cambridge. Many of the courses are the exact same courses offered to the Harvard College and GSAS students -- although some are not. The next class I am taking is an Econ course taped from earlier in the day to GSAS Econ students. Not to mention the courses are cheaper than many online or nontraditional schools.

So long story short of it, why go for UofP when there are now so many other and better alternatives?

I have a concern with strictly for profit institutions. There is a conflict of interest. I have heard from instructors that it is very difficult to fail a student because a failing student (or poorly graded student) may not want to come back to take another course. If a student complains that they did not perform as well as what they think they deserved, the instructor may never be asked back.

I have known three people who have graduated or about to graduate from UofP. Both are completely nice people, but are rather horrific poster children for UofP. One completed her Bachelors in Business. She ended up with a just over 3.0 GPA. This was after performing so miserably on several of her classes that she never failed. The girl was hopeless with Algebra and accounting. She was even shocked when her professors gave her higher grades.

The other person I know will soon graduate with a Masters degree. Her papers are so horribly written (she has very poor grammar and communication skills think prose written like: I feels that the article is tellings me that it don't make sense to has communicated the problem to the employee) and she never makes less than a B in each course. It is as if NO ONE will point out the pink elephant in the room that this person is not capable of graduate work and in fact needs remedial English work at best. Both students with the 5 week courses do not retain ANY knowledge from the classes. The one girl just finished a business law class and can't remember what tort means (we just had a conversation about torts at work the other day and she asked everyone what was a tort?).

The third person had to take three courses at UofP in order to complete all of his admissions into the executive MBA program at Duke. He is a software engineering manager and needed to take financial accounting, finance, and statistics. He made perfect scores in all classes at UofP and said the courses were ridiculously easy (he finds his graduate courses at Duke very challenging).

I don't deny that there have been probably some very bright people who have entered UofP and graduated; however, by allowing students such as the above graduate it completely diminishes the school and education. I know I would not take an MBA from UofP seriously after the experience I have had with these other two students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities