Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM

791 posts, read 2,948,260 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into ways to attend college in the evening and online seems to be the best option at this point. Has anyone been to UOP? I have heard good things and bad things, please if you or anyone you know have attended I would love to know your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,690,063 times
Many traditional universities offer online degrees now, I would discourage someone from going to UofP.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM

157 posts, read 622,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I have been looking into ways to attend college in the evening and online seems to be the best option at this point. Has anyone been to UOP? I have heard good things and bad things, please if you or anyone you know have attended I would love to know your opinion.
I posted a question a couple of months ago here looking into UOP. I was ready to enroll. I had many replies to my post not to enroll with UOP including one from a person that worked with them. I think trunckingbronco's advice is wise. Check out the traditional universities online programs. Many of them offer that option for busy people who work days or can't attend on campus for one reason or another. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM

791 posts, read 2,948,260 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
trust me UofP is a huge mistake. Have you considered a community college or a regular local university i'm sure there are night/online programs in your local area.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Many traditional universities offer online degrees now, I would discourage someone from going to UofP.
I would agree with checking out night/online courses from traditional, accrediated, well-respected universities. That can make a huge difference when it comes to future job options. You don't want to spend your money and nights doing something that isn't going to open a lot of doors for you!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 AM

232 posts, read 1,718,073 times
Default University of Phoenix - Merged Threads

Has anyone had any dealings with the negative perception that seems to surround the University of Phoenix. I went to a ground campus (not online) in Atlanta and feel that I did learn a lot. It isn't a "traditional" style college, yet I do believe that it provides a decent education. Unfortunately, I have found that there is not a good view by many employers of the college. How have you overcome this when looking at new jobs? Any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM

87 posts, read 125,478 times
Default Univ of Phoenix accredited?

Intel Corporation refused to reimburse employees for courses taken at Univ of Phoenix unless and until the school gained accreditation by AACSB. I don't know if that has yet happened.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 5,064,887 times
I attended UofP briefly back in 2004. I left because it is over-priced, it took up every bit of my GI Bill while community college left me with some cash each month. My credits did transfer, so I assume they are accredited. I really didn't like the format. Everything is done in groups - to cater to working adults, getting four or five of them to coordinate schedules is asking a lot. And it seemed to move too fast for me. One short class after another with no reprieve was not what I wanted.

I don't doubt it's a commendable education to have for those who can do it, but it's not any easier for working adults like they say they are. It's too expensive, and talking to my initial enrollment advisor fealt like I was buying a car.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 PM

232 posts, read 1,718,073 times
It is accredited. I agree wholeheartedly that it is too pricey, but the scheduling worked out well for me at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities