Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM

15 posts, read 31,621 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody!
I have the following situation. Because of my husband's job, we had to move to another state. Before moving, I got an associate degree in Business Administration:Accounting. Now I would like to get my bachelor's in Bus Admin: Accounting. The college, which I am going to attend, did not accept some of my classes from my previous college. I went to my business advisor and gave her all syllabi for the classes they did not want to accept.
As a result, it finally accepted three classes but for some reason rejected my Principle of Management class. I asked my advisor to send me their syllabus for their Principle of Management class but she answered that they did not give students their syllabi. So basically my class has been rejected and I do not know the reason and can't look at their syllabus to compare with mine. I also asked her what person from management department I should contact in order to discuss it and did not get any answer. If I ask her any question besides this issue she emails me back quickly but If I ask her to give me any information regarding management class she ignores it and does not answer. I do not know what to do. I am sure that my class does not differ a lot from their management class and i feel like I can prove it but i am not given syllabus and even the name of the person I should talk about it. I checked the textbook they use and found out that the authors of the their textbook are the same authors of the textbook I used when I took this class.

Did anybody have the situation when the college/university did not accept some of your classes and you had to prove that your class was equivalent to their class?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM

404 posts, read 904,233 times
good luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
You can figure some of this out yourself, though it may not help anyway. Get the course catalog, and look up their Mgmt class, and the professor/s who teach/es it. (Should be available online, or you can get a catalog from the Admissions office, or the general advising office.) Then you can go see one of those profs, and take your syllabus. You can also ask him for his course syllabus. The course catalog will give a brief outline of the course, which you can also use for your comparison. However, the prof can't do anything for you other than explain what he covers in the class. He can't go to bat for you. He can only shed light on your question.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Short answer, no, I haven't had that happen. Long answer, it is equivalent only if they say it is equivalent and, barring a written course/degree transfer articulation agreement with another institution, they don't have to explain to you why they don't consider that one class to be equivalent; all they are required to do is evaluate and consider whether they feel it is an equivalent course or not.

Don't expect any management prof to be your champion--they will defer to the Evaluations Office (who may report to the Admissions Office). Your recourse is to go higher up the Admissions food chain.

You have done very well if they have accepted everything except one class. Take the class and get an "A" in order to help boost your GPA.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post

You have done very well if they have accepted everything except one class. Take the class and get an "A" in order to help boost your GPA.
Great point!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
It depends on the school. I was able to get some transfer courses added to my transcript by appealing to the chair of the relevant department. At another college, the head of evaluations actually sent descriptions of some non-traditional courses to the appropriate professors for pre-approval.

If your school accepts it, the CLEP for Principles of Management is easy. It should definitely be easy for someone who already took the course.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
Quote:
I went to my business adviser
Yes, get the materials from your old class (syllabus and any papers you did).
Give your business adviser one more try - be polite - but insist that you don't want to pay for that class.

Make an appointment with the department chair, next. If you still don't get satisfaction, see if you have recourse with the college registrar (you may or may not, depending on the system).

As mentioned, unless there is an agreement, they don't have to accept any of your classes. They may also be limited in the number they can accept, and you could also be at that limit, but they should be willing to tell you that.

But, yes, BE POLITE, but keep trying. It's your money. It's your right to know whether it's really necessary for you to pay for a class.

Also note that some advisers don't know everything and it is occasionally necessary to go to the Chair. Be sure to get any such agreements IN WRITING as the Chair could retire and things could go awry.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Short answer, no, I haven't had that happen. Long answer, it is equivalent only if they say it is equivalent and, barring a written course/degree transfer articulation agreement with another institution, they don't have to explain to you why they don't consider that one class to be equivalent; all they are required to do is evaluate and consider whether they feel it is an equivalent course or not.

Don't expect any management prof to be your champion--they will defer to the Evaluations Office (who may report to the Admissions Office). Your recourse is to go higher up the Admissions food chain.

Actually, they do not want to accept 3 classes, but I am fighting only for one of them because I am sure these are the same classes. After I wrote to senior adviser, I got the syllabus from my adviser the same evening. I also looked at the textbook they use and it turned out that their textbook and mine are written by the same authors. Then I checked the content of both textbooks and it is the same, the same chapters, just some of them are in a different order. That's why I do not see a reason to reject my class. I do not understand how they can say these classes are not equivalent even if the textbooks are equivalent.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 AM

Thank you guys for all your answers. I try to be polite but sometimes it is very hard last evening I got their syllabus and also found the textbook they use in order to compare with mine. I wanted to compare because sometimes a reason for rejection is that they provide different information. But this is not a reason for my class rejection as their textbook and mine are written by the same authors and of course the content of both textbooks is the same.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 AM

By the way, does anybody know what a student's comittee is? My adviser told me that they would send my request for the class substitution to the student's comittee for possible re-approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities