Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,567 times

Advertisements

I'm a mathematics major undergrad at a research university and have a predicament that I find worrying. I'm beginning my last 60 credits and just got a 'B-' in Advanced Calculus I (a very important class, more so for theoretical students). The reason behind this poor grade was time management: I had recently gotten a $2000 stipend research scholarship in Biology w/ a deadline, but put too much time toward this commitment. The project will likely result in a first authored publication within a decent journal (someplace people actively read).

I got a 4.0 in my other classes that semester (non-major). As a result, my overall GPA is now 3.79 and my major GPA 3.72. I want to obtain a PhD in Applied Mathematics specialized toward gene regulation and system's biology; however, how will this B- impact me?

To try and correct this mistake, I'm going to crack down HARD during Advanced Calculus II next semester to reach my best possible grade and I'm going to take Modern Analysis I (MA-I) next Fall. MA-I is essentially an accelerated review of AC-I integrated with more advanced topics, so it should be equivalent to retaking the course at a higher level. Is there anything else you, the community, can recommend?

Finally, since I completed an A.A in high school, all of my electives are science based. I'm completing a Computer Science Minor (Currently a 4.0) and my remaining electives are all in math or graduate courses centered around Bioinformatics/Genetics (again, currently a 4.0). For example, this Spring I'm also taking a 6000 level Transcriptomics/Genomics class with 3 exams, 4 semester projects and an Article Presentation. Hence, I would like to think that I'm still competitive.

Regardless, thank you for your comments! I guess I'm just afraid of doing bad in Advanced Calculus II as well. My institutional interests lie in attending a graduate program associated with a NIH funded center for Systems Biology (such as UC Berkeley, MIT and Stanford).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:29 PM

12,679 posts, read 8,906,187 times
Ok, a B- is simply NOT a bad grade. It may feel like it to you since it seems you've gotten 4.0s easily in the past. Heck, if you come out of undergrad with that as your worst grade, you're doing just fine. I know it may feel like a disaster to you but it's really not. Seems like you're pretty much loading yourself down with everything you can trying to compete with some unknown others. But overloading yourself and worrying too hard over a single grade could cause you to make other mistakes.

Here's the secret -- you are competitive. So, my advice is do the best you can, but don't try to overload yourself in hopes of outcompeting an undefined someone else. Because in the end, an acceptance to a specific program won't be based on the last sig fig of GPA, or having more first authors than the guy across the hall, but on whatever random factor the decision maker AT THAT TIME decides is most important to him/her.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:10 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,908,033 times
Lease a Corvette

Old 12-25-2014, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,567 times
Thank you for the response tnff! Though, to be honest, I'm more completing these classes because they're fun and in line with my career goals. Though, I cannot deny that I'm competitive. I don't feel particularly overloaded because I've almost never gone above full time enrollment.

Nevertheless, this is reassuring to an extent. I wouldn't normally mind a B-, but I was worried because this was a grade within my major and near the end too. I should be just fine if I keep my grades high, although I will probably still take MA-I because it's a very useful course going into advanced probability theory and its axiomatic derivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities