Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,138,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I totally agree.
yea it seems a lot of people confuse don't and can't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 10:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,729,762 times
Having done it there is clearly a dividing line. Had a couple of class mates on it. They made it but it was a close thing. Certain courses were very close to doing them in. In my view neither would have survived in a large school. The support system, including a little cheating, carried them. They each got a couple of hours of tutoring every day. The cheating came from the fraternity files.

I felt it as well. I do very well in school but I was challenged to the point of being just above a C student in chemistry. I understand how things and numbers relate...but I memorize poorly. I passed things like Chemistry by taking advantage of short term memory. I would basically memorize the book in the 48 hours before a final. For three days I could almost write the text book then it would fade to some residual.

Even some very bright students have trouble. We piloted one of the original course in semiconductor digital design. A couple of our 4.0 students found it impossible though I thought it perhaps one of the easier subjects I had ever taken. They just could not get their head around pushing ones and zeroes.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 PM

5,842 posts, read 6,118,637 times
I definitely think that some very intelligent people who excel at other aspects of academics often struggle with math related classes (and vice versa). I know I did. I have never understood math. It had nothing to do with laziness. I have a Master's degree from a top University and it was in a field that required a fair amount of quantitative classes. I just managed to have good grades in the "non math" classes to help bolster my overall GPA.

I have a clear memory of being in 3rd grade and attempting to do math homework, only to get so frustrated that I threw my math book across the room into the wall. From then on, I spent my entire academic career figuring out "what if" scenarios on what grades I would need to do well in each and every semester in spite of math classes. When I started working, I spent a lot of time on spreadsheets and discovered that I tended to occasionally transpose numbers. I am sure that factored somewhere in my inability to understand math.

Now, OTOH, I think my initial bad experiences in math led to a self defeating attitude about it. I spent most of my academic life assuming the worst possible grades in math, making no real attempt to seek out help. Perhaps if I had put more work into it, I might have done better. But, at the end of the day, I didn't really care. I knew I would just go into a field that did not require me to use math routinely.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:57 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,138,513 times
i cant remember symbols so i get frustrated with higher level math easily. i can usually figure out the logic behind the problems but i dont have the patience for using formulas or ill do a formula backwards or miss a section of a formula or something.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
rather harsh better to say that engineering is not for everybody. but far better to be a skilled blue collar success early than find out you are a failure 6 years later and 100k after.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:25 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,090,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Many people claim that they are not capable of getting through an engineering program because their "brains aren't wired that way" or they "can't do math" or something like that. I personally think that these people simply aren't willing to put in the extra effort it takes to get through a rigorous program like engineering. What do you think?

And just to be clear, this thread is not here to debate the employment prospects of engineers or what peoples' "passions" are. It is a discussion regarding "intellectual capability" vs laziness and excuse making.
I've met some people who are truly terrible when it comes to math. I don't think more effort is the answer.(this person was getting 1/20 questions right in the math section of the GRE).

Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,596,138 times
I agree that for some there are subject areas that no matter how much tutoring, studying, teaching that one cannot simply grasp it. Now the difficulty is often finding the line between "lack of effort" and "I truly do not get it" for it can be hard to differentiae laziness and not getting it, but the line does exist.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

For some reason there's a double standard in this. No one would tell a person good at math but bad at writing that they could be a fantastic writer if only they weren't too lazy; nor would you say that anyone could become a talented artist, musician, or athlete if only they put their mind to itt.
I would.

Not that they would be talented. Talent is irrelevant. Only that they could accomplish these things. In other words, barring the truly mentally disabled, I think an average person could be competent in any of these things if they put their mind to it.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:09 PM

102,062 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Many people claim that they are not capable of getting through an engineering program because their "brains aren't wired that way" or they "can't do math" or something like that. I personally think that these people simply aren't willing to put in the extra effort it takes to get through a rigorous program like engineering. What do you think?

And just to be clear, this thread is not here to debate the employment prospects of engineers or what peoples' "passions" are. It is a discussion regarding "intellectual capability" vs laziness and excuse making.
How many languages can you speak fluently, with native pronunciation? And your friends? Do some of you have trouble learning foreign languages? Oh, you don't have an ear for language? Is that being lazy and making excuses, or does that relate to god-given talent and the way the brain is wired? How about tone deaf people? Are they "lazy" in their music studies?

Get off your high horse and down to reality. Just because something comes easily to you doesn't mean everyone can do it if they'd just apply themselves. They might be able to struggle through to a certain point, but they wouldn't get the same results as you.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 PM

102,062 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would.

Not that they would be talented. Talent is irrelevant. Only that they could accomplish these things. In other words, barring the truly mentally disabled, I think an average person could be competent in any of these things if they put their mind to it.
I've seen "average people" spend years learning to play a musical instrument, and not get as far as someone who only studied it for 3 months. Those people could spend 10 years practicing diligently and still not have much to say for it. Why spend 10 years getting merely competent, when the next person can get to "brilliant" in 1/10 the time? That's fine if they get satisfaction out of their plodding little steps, but let's not harbor any illusions about their capacity to learn and what they can be expected to achieve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities