Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,422,959 times

Advertisements

This article is a few months old, but I thought it would be interesting to see this ranking since it's recent and trends in college majors change throughout time.

1. Business Administration and Management
2. Psychology
3. Nursing
4. General Biology
5. Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Levels and Methods
6. Criminal Justice and Corrections
7. Accounting
8. Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities
9. English Language and Literature
10. History

The Top 10 Most Popular College Majors in the U.S. | USA TODAY College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,309,994 times
Seems pretty standard. I wonder how much these trends have shifted over, say, the last 30 years or so. Those all appear to be courses of study that have been pretty universally popular for quite some time, though they may go up and down within those ten rankings.

My own degree program was a hybrid of three in the current top ten list, and I graduated fifteen years ago.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM

I would guess that nursing and criminal justice weren't that high 20 years ago. Business administration, psychology, English, and history are pretty standard.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:29 AM

29,443 posts, read 22,366,566 times
Only two are related to sciences, but no hard engineering degrees, not much STEM degrees, the usual degrees that are always on those monthly lists about best degrees for being employed and having good salaries.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 AM

293 posts, read 315,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Only two are related to sciences, but no hard engineering degrees, not much STEM degrees, the usual degrees that are always on those monthly lists about best degrees for being employed and having good salaries.
Perhaps because not everyone has the desire to go into STEM. Are you in STEM? Are you an engineer?

Enough with the STEM propaganda. We know it can be a well paying field but not everyone is interested in the field. It is rigorous for many. To others it is not interesting.

Besides, your flawed logic is as similar to other numskulls on CD, in that you attribute a degree will automatically place you in a field you desire.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-04-2015 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: removed rude sentence

Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,524,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post

Enough with the STEM propaganda. We know it can be a well paying field but not everyone is interested in the field. It is rigorous for many. To others it is not interesting.
Agreed. And this bolded part should be repeated every time someone complains about lack of diversity in STEM. Interest and ability matter.

It's not because white male and Asian and Indian nerds are sexist and racist.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:19 AM

Ironically, the one STEM major that made this list leads to mediocre pay and mediocre job opportunities, on average. Several non-STEM majors outperform biology.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM

12,635 posts, read 8,853,974 times
I wouldn't have expected to see the primary STEM majors in a popularity contest, which this list is. Let's be honest. STEM is hard. It takes an desire and aptitude and long hours studying, in the lab, and doing MATH. All the non fun stuff. Of all the people who start college, probably 30% should not be there anyway. Then of the remainder, half of them have no desire for STEM.

Supply and demand. Supply of good STEM grads is lower than demand, so the pay is better.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 AM

13,249 posts, read 33,382,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Perhaps because not everyone has the desire to go into STEM. Are you in STEM? Are you an engineer?

Besides, your flawed logic is as similar to other numskulls on CD, in that you attribute a degree will automatically place you in a field you desire.
I'm not really sure why you are so ticked off at Suburban Guy. He didn't say anything negative about any of the majors on the list. He just rightly pointed out that,
Quote:
Only two are related to sciences, but no hard engineering degrees, not much STEM degrees
I found this article from September 2014 that talks about popular majors thirty years ago and compares them to majors now. 10 Hot College Majors: Then and Now - US News A good point is that some fields that are hot now, like bio-medical engineering, were not even around then.

Imbedded in the above article is a link to another US News and World Report article about what majors are good for in-demand jobs. http://www.usnews.com/education/best...llege-majors/1 Most of them are STEM related. I don't think that's an opinion. I would like it if there were more non-STEM careers that had high salaries.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-04-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 07:19 AM

338 posts, read 552,926 times
I wasn't expecting History to be in the top 10. I remember my senior year of HS it was me and a couple other kids out of the entire class who actually enjoyed History and Political Science. Seemed like most kids wanted to pursue Business/Management or some sort of science or healthcare related degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities