Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 PM

77 posts, read 109,643 times

Advertisements

I don't have a particular interest in anything specific, but I always just figured a college degree in engineering or being a doctor.

I guess my issue is engineering or doctor and which engineering and what doc specialty?

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-12-2015 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: fixed typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Only you can determine that....

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Just to flesh out your question, looks like you're a HS senior and have been accepted at a couple of SUNY's. HELP ....Is Stony Brook /Parts of LI really in" decline" middle of nowhere? , Thinking about attending SUNY Buffalo University... Need Info!!!

Were you accepted as an undeclared student? Do any of these schools have an ABET accredited engineering program?

It looks like you asked about engineering fields: Mechanical vs Civil Engineering ?!?!?!

Without looking at all your threads and the responses, I'm guessing that you didn't really do some good research before applying. I would suggest attending a few of the accepted students programs at your top couple of choices in April.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just to flesh out your question, looks like you're a HS senior and have been accepted at a couple of SUNY's. HELP ....Is Stony Brook /Parts of LI really in" decline" middle of nowhere? , Thinking about attending SUNY Buffalo University... Need Info!!!

Were you accepted as an undeclared student? Do any of these schools have an ABET accredited engineering program?

It looks like you asked about engineering fields: Mechanical vs Civil Engineering ?!?!?!

Without looking at all your threads and the responses, I'm guessing that you didn't really do some good research before applying. I would suggest attending a few of the accepted students programs at your top couple of choices in April.
ty for your response...but I still dont know what to major in ....believe me ive done alot of research....

I guesss you need real experience to know, but theres no way one can have that as a HSer....

I guess im just looking for other ppl who went through the same thing...kinda at a crossroads here.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,547,505 times
The MD path is pretty well defined. If you have the ability and the discipline, your career will be relatively straightforward.

An engineering degree can prepare you for a greater variety of opportunities. However, since it's less well defined, you will have to be much more proactive about identifying opportunities and managing your career.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:15 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
I would suggest you go find some doctors or engineers you know and ask them what their working lives are like.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I guess a student could want to be both a doctor and an engineer, but I haven't met anyone that doesn't have a strong feeling one way or the other. I've known people that thought they wanted to be a doctor but changed their mind or were weeded out first semester with some hard science classes and quite a few people that went into engineering and realized after the first year that they couldn't hack the math. I do think it's easier if you have a general direction when you start so you aren't taking classes that won't apply.

Do you find your math classes as interesting as your science ones? Do you equally well in both subjects?

Do you like to know how things work and enjoy working with your hands? I don't know any engineers that wouldn't say yes to that...

This bulletin board may help you decide which campus is a better fit: SUNY - General - College Confidential

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
hmm that is tough to say because the fields are so inherently different. It would be a bit easier if you said , do I want to be a nurse or a doctor and yes before everyone gets up in arms I understand that there is a difference in the duties of doctor vs nurse but at the very least you could argue that both fields are health care related. In comparison Doctor and Engineer are so far apart. I would first go with- can you hack the weed out classes not just bio 101 and chem 101, I mean the bio chem, the physics, the calc 4 etc...? If you can then I would try to get some insight on both fields , ask around, read message boards that specialize in MD grads and Engineering grads etc...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
In comparison Doctor and Engineer are so far apart. I would first go with- can you hack the weed out classes not just bio 101 and chem 101, I mean the bio chem, the physics, the calc 4 etc...? If you can then I would try to get some insight on both fields , ask around, read message boards that specialize in MD grads and Engineering grads etc...

Is it possible to be undecided for the first yr or yr and a half in college whilst taking courses that fulfill both a pre med track AND a engineering track?

Well im currently taking Calc 1&2 in Hs and I am doing fine...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
IF you settle on engineering, you will either have to go extra (not finish in four years) or bust your butt.

My daughter decided on engineering after her freshman year, and she took four years of engineering courses in three years.
Engineering, in most place, is a four year program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities