Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When choosing a university does it matter to you if it is a "Land Grant" institution?
No, I don't know what the term "Land Grant" means. 8 15.38%
No, I know what the term means but it DOESN'T matter to me in choosing a university. 38 73.08%
Yes, I know what the term means and it DOES matter to me in choosing a university. 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,893,391 times

Advertisements

University of Alaska Fairbanks, a land grant school. There is no agriculture here other then a small field the university uses to research wheat and such in arctic conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,233,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Land grant trivia: Rutgers is the only Land Grant university that isn't named after its state.
Not even close...

List of land-grant universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
List of Land Grant Institutions:

And no, I never cared or thought about it. Still don't.

A Listing of Land Grant Institutions

Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I suspect that because in the way past, Land Grant, for right or wrong, was typically associated with agricultural pursuits and with being the door for more average (IE farmers and workers) kids to go to college. So perhaps the term still has a similar emotional appeal in more agricultural areas.

Also, add Clemson as another Land Grant not named after their state.
Eh. I grew up in a region synonymous with agriculture and not much else. But very, very, very few of my peers opted to continue in agriculture. "Land Grant" was not a key phrase for me when researching schools. "Private liberal arts" was.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:54 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,791,829 times
Cornell is not land grant exactly, some of its colleges are but they are not part of the SUNY system. They are fully controlled by Cornell, it's like the state just cut them a deal to run those for them or something. The whole university is private.

But yeah, I agree no one cares these days.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:37 PM

13,609 posts, read 9,644,958 times
Land grant universities traditionally focused on the agricultural and mechanical arts, the latter growing into engineering. By original dictum, there was emphasis on military education, and today some land-grant universities still maintain a corps of cadets (example: Virginia Tech). Land grant universities tend to be in rural locations, though in many cases a sizable college-town has grown around the flagship campuses.

The main blight against land-grant colleges is their typical lack of aristocratic pedigree and prestige. Occasionally if a state has a "University of..." which is not land-grant, and a "... State University" which is land-grant, the latter excels in engineering, while the former emphasizes the pure sciences, the humanities, law and medicine. So the tension between land-grant and not-land-grant mirrors the tension between the professions of engineering and law/medicine.

I majored in engineering, starting my undergrad studies at a land-grant school, and subsequently transferring to a non-land-grant public state flagship school. But the cultural atmosphere in the non-land-grant school was substantially more to my liking.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Cornell yes, because it is a hybrid and part of it is part of the SUNY system. Dartmouth College is not, it's a private institution. Perhaps you are thinking of UMass Dartmouth?
Hmm, well, I'm reading a book about Dartmouth and its history educating Native Americans, and it says the founder got some land granted to the project. But I'm only at the beginning, so it's not entirely clear, yet.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why do you think they wouldn't know it?
I'm from Berkeley, and no one in my HS knew, none of my friends who went there knew that. The school doesn't advertise it. No one talks about it. It's not relevant to anything.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:40 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The University of California at Berkeley is a land grant university. I doubt anyone attending there knows that, though.
Or cares. If they got in, they're generally grateful to be there.

Add Purdue to the land grants not with a state name in its title. Also, in Arizona, the University of is the land grant school and Arizona State is not. Yet people who attend the U of A seem to think they are in the most prestigious of the state's three major universities (Northern Arizona University is the third).

Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Many people know and don't care, because it really does not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities