Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 AM

31 posts, read 37,172 times

Advertisements

Hello cd,

I have been construction most of my adult life as well as some dead end security,grocery, and factory jobs. None of those jobs interest me.

I've posted in here before about pursuing either a sport management or hospitality management degree. After a few months of talking with people with both degrees, they agreed the hospitality degree was better but not necessarily needed. They said experience is huge in that field.

So up to date I've been taking aptitude tests and other career tests and most of them have pt as a career option. I have some college credits under my belt but no degree.

I know pt school would be a long road for me since I don't have a bachelor's let alone an associates, and um interested in becoming a pta. So I was thinking of going back and taking prerequisites at a community college in las vegas (CSN) and once I have that out of the way apply for the pta program

I am 26 with no ties and no debt so I'm asking is the best route for me to do the prerequisites at a cc then apply to a pta program or go for a bachelor's and try for the dpt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I don't think phys therapy is a 4-year degree program. I think it's a 2-year vocational program, if you can find a CC that offers it. It's a lot of Anatomy and Physiology coursework, which includes some chemistry. It's a good choice, though; anything in the health care field is going to provide steady work into the future.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM

27 posts, read 25,163 times
I know a lot of PTAs that do very well and enjoy their work.

If you can afford to and are willing to spend the time the DPT is an even better option. You'll need a bachelors degree AND the pre-requisites for the DPT program (2 years).

My university has a DPT program and undergraduate degrees to go with it (Pre-Physical Therapy Biology, Chemistry, Psychology).

Here were the courses required to apply for the DPT at my university:
Human Anatomy
2 Biology courses of the 2000 level (200 level at other universities/college)
2 Chemistry courses of the 2000 level
2 Physics courses of the 1500 level
1 Psychology course
1 course in statistics comparable to what would be required in a psychology majors curriculum

Old 02-02-2015, 11:39 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahall05 View Post
I know a lot of PTAs that do very well and enjoy their work.

If you can afford to and are willing to spend the time the DPT is an even better option. You'll need a bachelors degree AND the pre-requisites for the DPT program (2 years).
In general PTA degrees will be offered by community colleges, so you may as well do the pre-req coursework there as well. Though that assumes there's a CC with a PTA program proximate to where you are.

At the OP's age pursuing the DPT is still very viable, but I'd say it's worth at least getting the PTA first, and getting some direct experience in the field.

For two reasons:

1) DPT can be an expensive proposition esp. if you don't have an in-state public as a viable option (which varies by state - WI or CA have a variety of public options, OR has none), so not a bad idea to make the relatively marginal investment of a PTA first to determine if it's actually a field you have a passion and a talent for,

2) DPT programs are incredibly competitive. Not MD competitive, but still very competitive, especially if you want to pick and choose where you attend rather than being forced to attend halfway across the country because it's the only place you got in. Having a year or three working directly in the field as a PTA will almost certainly make you more competitive if you decide on pursuing a DPT later.

Not to mention it should give you some insight into what area of PT you'd like to be in for the long run. Roughly speaking those are: http://www.aaphysicaltherapy.com/fiv...l-therapy.html

Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
In general PTA degrees will be offered by community colleges, so you may as well do the pre-req coursework there as well. Though that assumes there's a CC with a PTA program proximate to where you are.

At the OP's age pursuing the DPT is still very viable, but I'd say it's worth at least getting the PTA first, and getting some direct experience in the field.

For two reasons:

1) DPT can be an expensive proposition esp. if you don't have an in-state public as a viable option (which varies by state - WI or CA have a variety of public options, OR has none), so not a bad idea to make the relatively marginal investment of a PTA first to determine if it's actually a field you have a passion and a talent for,

2) DPT programs are incredibly competitive. Not MD competitive, but still very competitive, especially if you want to pick and choose where you attend rather than being forced to attend halfway across the country because it's the only place you got in. Having a year or three working directly in the field as a PTA will almost certainly make you more competitive if you decide on pursuing a DPT later.

Not to mention it should give you some insight into what area of PT you'd like to be in for the long run. Roughly speaking those are: Five Types of Physical Therapy - Rehabilitation, Physical Therapy, Ankle, Wrist, Knee - Cody Johnson
Yes. This is totally correct. DPT programs in general are extremely competitive...my school's DPT was more competitive than MD programs in the area simply because so many people want them. I talked to a girl who was applying for the DPT after she got her Bachelors and she had a 3.9GPA and was still worried she might not get in because a lot of the applicants have GPAs similar and higher than even that.

Don't let this discourage you though if you want to do the DPT, you have a good chance based on other selection criteria. Your age would actually probably benefit you...you will be viewed as more mature and more ready to settle down on the degree you are pursuing. Younger kids change majors a lot (I know I did). Also, if you become a PTA and have experience, that will make it even easier to get into a DPT program if you choose to do so later on.

The world is yours for the picking. :roll eyes:

PS: I noticed I accidentally repeated a lot of what the above poster stated in their post. Oops.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM

31 posts, read 37,172 times
Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I have setup a meeting next week to talk to a local pt and see if I can pick their brain a bit about the field and possibly setup some volunteer work to get a feel for their daily routines.

Once again thanks for the responses thus far and I hope to receive more info on this field and hear from others.

-Shane

Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Good luck Shane! Let us know what you end up doing

Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think phys therapy is a 4-year degree program. I think it's a 2-year vocational program, if you can find a CC that offers it. It's a lot of Anatomy and Physiology coursework, which includes some chemistry. It's a good choice, though; anything in the health care field is going to provide steady work into the future.
Are you talking about becoming an RPT (Registered Physical Therapist) or a PTA. RPT is a doctoral program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahall05 View Post
Yes. This is totally correct. DPT programs in general are extremely competitive...my school's DPT was more competitive than MD programs in the area simply because so many people want them. I talked to a girl who was applying for the DPT after she got her Bachelors and she had a 3.9GPA and was still worried she might not get in because a lot of the applicants have GPAs similar and higher than even that.

Don't let this discourage you though if you want to do the DPT, you have a good chance based on other selection criteria. Your age would actually probably benefit you...you will be viewed as more mature and more ready to settle down on the degree you are pursuing. Younger kids change majors a lot (I know I did). Also, if you become a PTA and have experience, that will make it even easier to get into a DPT program if you choose to do so later on.

The world is yours for the picking. :roll eyes:

PS: I noticed I accidentally repeated a lot of what the above poster stated in their post. Oops.
As far as age, it can work both ways. Schools won't tell you they have a bias against older students, but it's no secret that some med schools anyway feel that the student shouldn't be *too* old b/c it takes a lot of time to do the program and a younger person will work more years afterward. I've heard this is true in some PhD programs as well. The OP is only 26 though, so it might work for him/her.

If the OP is really intereseted in the DPT, s/he should pursue that route. Most of the credits from the PTA program will not transfer to the DPT, and probably not even to a bachelor's degree. At age 26, s/he is looking at being out by about age 33, not too bad.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I don't think anyone really looks to transfer credits to a DPT program. Don't you need a bachelor's degree or 90 credits first? There are bachelor's programs in health science where many of the PTA credits might transfer.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think phys therapy is a 4-year degree program.
Right... it is longer than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities