Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm a mom who works part time and I'm thinking about going back to college for a degree that will give me some more employable skills. Maybe radiology, IT, bookkeeping/accounting, or something like that.

I'm concerned that it may not be worth it, or that it'll be hard to find a job after I graduate. Plus, I'm already busy with my job and family. But I know it will be good for me.

Who else is thinking about it going back to school, or has done so recently? What things are you worried about? What keeps you motivated? Was it easy to get over the hurdles of placement tests, registration, etc? Did you have to take remedial math? How has going back to school affected your family life?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
It depends on if you want to go further and get a bachelor's. If you want to get a bachelor's something like accounting may be fine. If not, I would go for a medical program that leads to some certification required for that role in the job market.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, you said the two words that struck fear in my heart: "remedial math". *shudder* You might not have to take math, if your goal is to learn a skill that only requires a 2-year degree. Something like, a medical technician, where you learn how to use technology like the CAT-scan machine, x-ray machines, etc.

On the other hand, for accounting and IT, it's pretty obvious you'll need math, right? So figure out what areas your strengths are in, what kinds of things you enjoy doing, (do you want to be a CPA, and do people's tax statements? Really??, or are you more of a "people person", and might do well as a med tech, or even a nurse (4-yr program)? What about getting training as a medical transcriptionist? Those jobs used to pay well, I don't know if that's changed.

Do you already have a college degree? If so, in what field?

If you go into the medical field in some capacity, you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a job. Same with IT. And I suppose accounting is always useful too, if that's what you're into. But the question is, would you be able to do the work required to get the degree?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Thank you both. I think a 2 year program would be more realistic than a bachelors degree, especially since I'll probably have to go part time, turning the 2 years back into 3 or 4! The medical fields all seem to be in high demand, so I'll start my digging there.

Any good advice for managing work, school, and family at the same time?

Thank you again!

Old 02-05-2015, 04:38 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn0mite View Post
Thank you both. I think a 2 year program would be more realistic than a bachelors degree, especially since I'll probably have to go part time, turning the 2 years back into 3 or 4! The medical fields all seem to be in high demand, so I'll start my digging there.

Any good advice for managing work, school, and family at the same time?

Thank you again!
Good choice, to go into medical.

Going to school part-time, you should be OK, not overloading yourself. Do you work full time? How old are your kids? You're probably planning to go to evening school, when your hubs will be home to watch the kids?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn0mite View Post
Hello all!

I'm a mom who works part time and I'm thinking about going back to college for a degree that will give me some more employable skills. Maybe radiology, IT, bookkeeping/accounting, or something like that.

I'm concerned that it may not be worth it, or that it'll be hard to find a job after I graduate. Plus, I'm already busy with my job and family. But I know it will be good for me.

Who else is thinking about it going back to school, or has done so recently? What things are you worried about? What keeps you motivated? Was it easy to get over the hurdles of placement tests, registration, etc? Did you have to take remedial math? How has going back to school affected your family life?

Thanks!
Been there, done that. It was 30 plus years ago, and it was the best move I ever made, career-wise.

I already had a bachelor's degree -- in history -- but I went back to school for computer programming. At that time, all I needed was 12 credits to get a certificate. Today, you probably need to have at least an associates or better yet, a bachelors. I've been employed as a computer programmer/analyst for 30 years with never a lay-off ... or even a threat of same despite lots of downturns.

I will retire from a local community college next year after 18 years here, so I also have some insight into colleges and returning to school.

Here are my suggestions:
Schools
  • Try your local community college first. CCs are geared toward students, not research. They are familiar with part-time students and with adult learners. There are a lot of them. They also have lots of vocational programs, from automotive technology to nursing to office technology to welding. These are 2 year programs, and some might be 1 year certificate programs. They also offer lots of business courses, including accounting. Usually their entrance requirements are much less stringent, and they have remedial programs to help you catch up if you need to improve your math skills. The CC will likely have the lowest cost for tuition and fees, and almost everybody commutes, so you won't feel "odd" with your situation.
  • Your second choice is a near-by public four year college. Some four year schools are selective and some are not. Some, especially in urban areas, tend to be "commuter schools" where 40-70% or more of their students live in the community. There are likely fewer part time and adult students, and these may be concentrated in night classes. Public four-year-schools are the second lowest cost choice.
  • Private two and four year colleges that are nearby may be your choice if one of them offers a program that you can only get there. Check the school out. Some may expect all students to be full timers, and/or have very few non traditional (ie, adult) students.
  • Absolutely put the high-priced proprietary (ie, for profit) schools at the bottom of your list. Do NOT even consider those that use high pressure to try to get you to sign up or that make promises of a degree in a few months or "guaranteed job place" or other slick stuff. There are some decent schools out there but they will cost you a lot more than the other options. Be sure to comparison shop.
Financial aid: students taking at least a half time course load are eligible for federal financial aid like Pell grants if they qualify on income and their college is an accredited institution. If the only FA that a school offers is student loans (not just to you but to any student), then walk away because this school is likely not accredited. Some schools will offer their own scholarships specifically for part timers, for night school students or for adult learners.

On-line courses: You can take a few on-line classes, but start out with face-to-face ones first, especially in your major. Interaction with instructors and other students are important. Some courses lend themselves to on-line work than others.

Programs: Pick a major/subject/program that fits you. The first time I ran a computer program -- a little 3 line job on punch cards! -- I knew this was what I wanted to do. It fit my temperament and the way my mind worked perfectly. Other people just couldn't figure out what to do, and they were as lost at the end of the class as they'd been on the first day. OTOH, I never had an interest in being a nurse, and while I understand accounting, I find it infinitely BORING! You'll do much better in something that you can be passionate about. It does NOT matter if there's a shortage of nurses if you don't like the idea of being one. It does NOT matter if IT jobs pay well if you don't like dealing with machines or networks or software.

Is it worth it is only a question you can answer. If you find a career you like, then it is. I certainly would not return to school to take a major in fine arts, but I would return to school to learn to be a welder if working with metal was something I liked or thought I'd like.

PS: do NOT limit yourself to "traditional" women's careers!

Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:13 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Wife has gone back to 4-year college to finish her teaching degree. She is actually enjoying it, albeit it's tough. Small campus is easy to get around and class sizes are small as well. Tuition is half as much as the other more well known college in town BUT in the end she will take the same praxis tests, get the same credentials. Some of the classes are challenging. We are empty nesters so no children affected. As her husband I am totally cool and supportive of it.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
For anybody considering going back to college, check out this link on the perils of attending a for-profit school: Linky (It's a thread on this forum BTW). Stick to the non-profits.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Thank you Ruth, Linda, and Dan!

Going to head over to the local CC today to start asking about their programs, admissions requirements, etc. My husband is supportive and I'd like to start with a few evening classes I think.

You all are awesome.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not going now but I did many years ago as an adult. It was scary at first but really great for me. If you're worried about schedules start slow, take 1 class, just to get a feel for it. Lot's of my friends went after I did with my encouragement. I even went up with one woman just to register because she was worried about being an older woman on campus but realized there were plenty of people older than her walking around.

It was good for family life because it was good for me and I felt happier and smarter too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities