Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that your degree really doesn't matter as long as you have one. So I'm wondering, what was your college major and what is your job now? Do you suspect that you could have still been employed in your current field with any bachelor's or master's degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Does the College Major Matter?

Critically

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I keep hearing that your degree really doesn't matter as long as you have one.
You have been talking to the wrong people....

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
It matters...I have a BSCE and I am a licensed professional engineer. While I could probably have been employed in this field without the degree, my advancement would be severely limited.

I think some folks stress too much about this stuff.

Confucius said "choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life" And yes, that's good advice however there is a caveat. What if what you love won't pay the bills? IMO choose a career path that will provide you with a decent living and that you can TOLERATE! Because even what you love will be just another job to you if you HAVE to do it every day for the next 40 or 50 years. If you can find something that at least keeps your interest and makes a decent salary, you will have your personal/free time to continue to pursue the things you LOVE.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
When it comes to potential lifetime earnings, your choice of college major matters more than anything else about your education.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:03 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Critically.

For some graduate programs like Med-School, Dental School, Law School, etc one can choose from a pool of different but relevant majors.

Ex: For Law School: (History, Political Science, etc)

Other than that, it's pretty damn important.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Come on now, does this really need to be asked again on this forum?

Everyone and their cousins know if it ain't STEM, it ain't worth.....

Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Everything matters.

We can't tell you which major is best for you, however. Only you can decide that.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Critically.

For some graduate programs like Med-School, Dental School, Law School, etc one can choose from a pool of different but relevant majors.

Ex: For Law School: (History, Political Science, etc)

Other than that, it's pretty damn important.
You don't need relevant majors. There is no best major for law school unless you go by LSAT scores. In that case, philosophy, economics, and physical science majors would be the best; but, this has more to do with the intelligence of the people who are drawn to these majors. All in all, law schools don't care what you majored in. It also doesn't matter what you major in when planning on attending medical and dental school. You just need the prerequisites.

To the OP, your major is critical in licensed fields. I couldn't get the chemical dependency counselor license I'm working toward by studying mathematics. An aspiring engineering couldn't become licensed by studying computer science. In other fields, there is a strong preference for certain types of degrees depending on the position. Insurance is one of the few industries that has many positions that just require a degree without regard to major.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I keep hearing that your degree really doesn't matter as long as you have one. So I'm wondering, what was your college major and what is your job now? Do you suspect that you could have still been employed in your current field with any bachelor's or master's degree?
If you're asking about whether your major restricts you to certain fields, then yes it is obvious that it does. No, you cannot really work in my field as an English major. And I cannot get a job as a social worker. Some degrees are more flexible than others, but meh.

If you are asking whether it makes a difference in terms of salary (which is what 99% of these arguments are about), then not nearly as much as people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities