U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,170 times

Advertisements

I'm considering an MBA program (not online) that is not AACSB accredited. While most of the stuff I've read says it's not worth going to an unaccredited B-school, I have worked solely in non-profits and would like to continue this work (hence, not paying $100,000 for school when I won't be able to pay it off with a high paying job afterwards). Therefore, does it matter where my MBA is from if I want to continue working in non-profits? I would assume that hiring managers who are not in the corporate world don't see an MBA and think "but is it accredited?", but I may be wrong. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:18 PM

7,003 posts, read 11,044,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmusic View Post
I'm considering an MBA program (not online) that is not AACSB accredited. While most of the stuff I've read says it's not worth going to an unaccredited B-school, I have worked solely in non-profits and would like to continue this work (hence, not paying $100,000 for school when I won't be able to pay it off with a high paying job afterwards). Therefore, does it matter where my MBA is from if I want to continue working in non-profits? I would assume that hiring managers who are not in the corporate world don't see an MBA and think "but is it accredited?", but I may be wrong. Thoughts?
There are cheap AACSB-accredited schools. There are also schools that have ACBSP and IACBE accreditation, but those aren't as desirable as AACSB. There are only a few instances where AACSB accreditation matters. IBM refuses to reimburse tuition for employees who are in non-AACSB accredited business programs. This was mostly to stop them from attending schools like University of Phoenix. Some accountancy boards have made it so that you automatically meet the requirements if you attended a school with AACSB or ACBSP accreditation, but those who didn't can still qualify by making sure they meet the individually listed requirements. Many AACSB-accredited schools require AACSB-accredited or equivalent (AMBA and EQUIS) degrees of their faculty.

AACSB in and of itself is not that important. Some employers care about prestige. The most prestigious business schools just happen to have AACSB accreditation except for maybe one. If you're attending an unranked or lowly-ranked school with AACSB accreditation, you're probably not going to be any better off than someone with an MBA from a school without it. If prestige and working in academia are not your concerns, then any regionally accredited school should do. Well, I would advise avoiding for-profits with bad reputations.

This website is for online programs, but most of these schools have campus programs as well.
AACSB Online MBA | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com
MBA Online Programs | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com

Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,522,153 times
There is one huge advantage to going to a top tier or the very best and well-known local MBA school even if you want to a non-profit career. Networking and Fundraising. Those alumni networks, events and the close ties to your professors and classmates who will go on to be executives will be hugely beneficial to a non-profit career. Not just in fund raising, but also recruiting quality trustees and board members and using those connections to help the aims of the non-profit, or even get free stuff or pro bono work. It is hard to go from the bottom to the top in the nonprofit world without cultivating that type of network and a quality MBA program is a great source for those types of contacts that go beyond seeking business related skills training.

If you do have strong ties to the nonprofit world, you should seek whether there are any scholarships or fellowships connected to the school or within your nonprofit world. I know that one of my local MBA schools has a full ride scholarship for government employees that is funded by alumni that work in the government sector. There maybe something like that, or the school maybe will to give you more aid if you are seeking a nonprofit career.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,576,113 times
I have an MBA that's not AACSB and not high ranked, but the college is respected and regionally accredited.

The ONLY reason you want to go to a Ranked MBA is because you are looking to work in positions that require it. These will include mainly your large corporate finance jobs, Wallstreet, etc. When you go to one of these programs you want to have already been recruited into the company you are going to work for, and have THEM send you to the institution to obtain the MBA as well as pay for it in exchange for 5 - 10 years of service to their company.

If you aren't going to do that, then going Non-Ranked is the best option because for one you probably won't get into the Ranked MBA due to the competition and the politics involved, and two, if you were to get it do you really want to spend $150,000 for an MBA?

An MBA in and of itself from an educational standpoint, builds no applicable marketplace skills, the MBA is nothing but a Networking Tool and "Checking Off The Box" Tool.

The Ranked MBA is for Networking which again, you want to try to have already been recruited into the company and get them to pay for it, but if not, you have a Network there so once you get the MBA you would be able to apply for those positions that politically only look at Ranked MBAs.

The Non Ranked MBA is for Leverage in "checking off a box" tool. This is used for positions you already have or industries you already work in, and you are seeking to be promoted or apply to Management positions which usually require a master's degree of some sort. So you would grab a non-ranked MBA so you can easily pay for it out of pocket, so you can move up into that particular position.

With all this being said, another poster touched on this before, but AACSB doesn't make that much of a difference to Employers. Either you have Ranked or Non-Ranked. So if you go to a Non-Ranked MBA that's AACSB that costs $45,000 for the entire program, you might as well just go to the Non Ranked MBA that's not AACSB that costs maybe $25,000 as long as the college is respected, regionally accredited and has a good overall standing in the marketplace (not a for profit college).

Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,952,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I have an MBA that's not AACSB and not high ranked, but the college is respected and regionally accredited.

The ONLY reason you want to go to a Ranked MBA is because you are looking to work in positions that require it. These will include mainly your large corporate finance jobs, Wallstreet, etc. When you go to one of these programs you want to have already been recruited into the company you are going to work for, and have THEM send you to the institution to obtain the MBA as well as pay for it in exchange for 5 - 10 years of service to their company.

If you aren't going to do that, then going Non-Ranked is the best option because for one you probably won't get into the Ranked MBA due to the competition and the politics involved, and two, if you were to get it do you really want to spend $150,000 for an MBA?

An MBA in and of itself from an educational standpoint, builds no applicable marketplace skills, the MBA is nothing but a Networking Tool and "Checking Off The Box" Tool.

The Ranked MBA is for Networking which again, you want to try to have already been recruited into the company and get them to pay for it, but if not, you have a Network there so once you get the MBA you would be able to apply for those positions that politically only look at Ranked MBAs.

The Non Ranked MBA is for Leverage in "checking off a box" tool. This is used for positions you already have or industries you already work in, and you are seeking to be promoted or apply to Management positions which usually require a master's degree of some sort. So you would grab a non-ranked MBA so you can easily pay for it out of pocket, so you can move up into that particular position.

With all this being said, another poster touched on this before, but AACSB doesn't make that much of a difference to Employers. Either you have Ranked or Non-Ranked. So if you go to a Non-Ranked MBA that's AACSB that costs $45,000 for the entire program, you might as well just go to the Non Ranked MBA that's not AACSB that costs maybe $25,000 as long as the college is respected, regionally accredited and has a good overall standing in the marketplace (not a for profit college).
I concur with this. I am about to graduate from a non-AACSB, regionally accredited MBA program with no debt, and am very happy I didn't take the top-25 route. With the debt you accrue in a top-25 program, you HAVE to go the Wall Street/consulting route for it to pay off.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,170 times
Thanks so much! Very solid advice from everyone.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 PM

2,854 posts, read 3,056,167 times
AACSB REALLY only matters if you plan on teaching. Can't teach without an AACSB degree.
I went to a meh AACSB MBA program. But I'm a Architect . Today the total tuition cost is about $15k, but Michigan doesn't fund their universities very well!

On the other hand, Harvard DBA program isn't AACSB accredited! Their MBA program obviously is, but not their Doctor's program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities