Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't rent to college students that I didn't know unless that was my full time occupation. I owned a 14 x 70 trailer for about 8 years in a college town and was constantly fixing something. Half the time it was things broken by my renters or their friends. Incidentally, the renters were MY OWN KIDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Please don't make any $$$ bets on that fact...esp with 'your parents money'! Exactly why people have those rules. NO guarantees your parents will pay, either.
no. my parents pay my rent here. They have already fully paid for my rent this semester. they would have paid for that apartment. The house is empty with a "For rent sign". If they want to exclude college students, fine. This is a college town, there's plenty of people who want to rent to college students (for a cheaper price too!).

Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We once lived in a high-rise (near a major university in a big city) that targeted grad students, medical residents and fellows, but absolutely would not accept undergrads. It was probably one of the most enjoyable places I've ever lived.
Had the same experience as a grad student in New Orleans. Rented a 4 plex Uptown and my roommate and I had to visit the owners in their huge Garden District house to have tea and chat with them. They wanted to ensure we were Grad students (and also that we were white, but that's a different story).

Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
My rental properties are in a college city - I only rent to students and I don't care if they are undergrad/grad. Every once in a while I'll get med students due to the fact there are two teaching hospitals within blocks of each other in this city.

The other choice (in this city) is to rent to section 8s or illegals. After seeing (while viewing properties to buy in the same city) how they tend to live and leave their rental units as well as hearing the horror stories from fellow LLs who went off the grid and rented to non-students?

I'll take my students renters any day over that.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I've known visiting university faculty who couldn't find an apartment. In the university district, all the landlords had signs on the windows that said, "No kids, no pets". These visiting researchers and instructors who came from other countries on grants and brought their families with them thought that was really weird. One guy had to resort to hiding his kids from the landlord.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
College students are not a protected class, so landlords are free to discriminate against them. Besides the noise affecting other tenants, they may have been burned in the past with roommates flaking out on the rent when one or more dropped out and let the others unable to pay the full rent.

They are in some college towns, esp liberal towns that once had a high level of student activism. Even so, this protection can be largely negated by oppressive zoning rules, such as restricting unrelated occupancy to two individuals. In that case, students might be a protected class, but can't live off campus when they can't afford the rent on a 4BR house when they have only two rent payers.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've known visiting university faculty who couldn't find an apartment. In the university district, all the landlords had signs on the windows that said, "No kids, no pets". These visiting researchers and instructors who came from other countries on grants and brought their families with them thought that was really weird. One guy had to resort to hiding his kids from the landlord.

Some landlords hide the kids from prospective tenants. I once moved into the upstairs (walkup around back) of a SFR that had been divided into two units.

When I viewed it, there was nobody downstairs and no car. Desperate for a place I could afford after living in my employer's offsite storage for four months, I took it on the spot. (I was the first person to call and thus the first to see it - others were minutes behind me.)

Once I moved in, the downstairs family of five (later to be six) left the house exactly ONCE a year, for the entire 10 years we were all there, on Christmas Day for about five hours.

So clearly, the reason nobody was home when it was shown is that the landlord hid them from prospective tenants.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
My rental properties are in a college city - I only rent to students and I don't care if they are undergrad/grad. Every once in a while I'll get med students due to the fact there are two teaching hospitals within blocks of each other in this city.

The other choice (in this city) is to rent to section 8s or illegals. After seeing (while viewing properties to buy in the same city) how they tend to live and leave their rental units as well as hearing the horror stories from fellow LLs who went off the grid and rented to non-students?

I'll take my students renters any day over that.

I have a friend who went to law school at Wayne State in Detroit. He said landlords were thrilled to rent to students as they were much better tenants than the locals.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
A friend of mine was turned down from two apartment complexes because he is a full-time student (even though he has a part time job and is looking with roommates who also have jobs). Has anyone experienced this before? It's new to me. And pretty terrible.
Depends on the city, I suppose.

The town I live in, an apartment complex would go broke if they did that because there is nothing here but students. In fact, now that I'm looking for a new home, I've stopped looking at apartments and at houses instead because it seems like all the apartments are made only for students. Ie, two or 4 bedrooms/bathrooms with a common room and kitchen where one's lease is about one of those bedrooms.

That's not the kind of place for an older ex-hit errrrrrr Spook! and now crazy cat lady like me.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Some landlords hide the kids from prospective tenants. I once moved into the upstairs (walkup around back) of a SFR that had been divided into two units.

When I viewed it, there was nobody downstairs and no car. Desperate for a place I could afford after living in my employer's offsite storage for four months, I took it on the spot. (I was the first person to call and thus the first to see it - others were minutes behind me.)

Once I moved in, the downstairs family of five (later to be six) left the house exactly ONCE a year, for the entire 10 years we were all there, on Christmas Day for about five hours.

So clearly, the reason nobody was home when it was shown is that the landlord hid them from prospective tenants.
CLEARLY. Because there's no way they might have been gone for a million legit reasons, in the tiny amount of time you were there. Yup, definitely a conspiracy.

But obviously not that bad of a situation, since you stayed for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities