Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM

265 posts, read 534,800 times

Advertisements

I graduated in August of 2014 and have been unsuccessful in finding work in my field that pays more than $10 an hour. I have worked a few temp jobs and seasonal but they we're very low paying and, temporary. I realized my BA in psych was pretty much worthless and would like to return to school to major in something more practical. My masters would be in TESOL and my goal is to be a university instructor overseas. I am in the process of applying for deferment of my loans or forbearance as I am unemployed and can not start paying in March. If I do find another job it would most likely be VERY low paying.

If I prove that I am unemployed/unable to find a career that pays enough to start making loan payments on top of my other bills (car, phone, housing) would I be able to get loans in the fall for graduate school? This would hopefully lead to a more lucrative job. What advice would you give me? Would I be able to get loans for masters if I prove I am unemployed/experiencing financial hardship (car is about to be repossessed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 03:17 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
As long as you are not in default you should be ok...as well as not having committed any crimes, academic dishonesty, and other pre-reqs of getting the loans. People go right from undergrad to grad school all the time and defer student loans.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
You basically just graduated. As the second poster said, people go directly from undergrad to grad school all the time and defer the loans. So don't worry about not having employment in the field.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
As Qwerty said, if your existing loans are not in default, you would be eligible for add'l loans if you entered a new degree program (you don't have to "prove hardship"). However, your post was a bit vague - your title says "graduate school" but your post talks about "another major."

You want to be careful there - just because you have a bachelor's in hand doesn't make any new program you join "graduate school" - grad school would be a Master's/PhD/first professional degree (MD/JD/etc.). That wouldn't be a "new major" partly as a matter of verbiage, and partly for the fact that typically graduate work is an extension of your undergrad work. I.e. while not impossible, it's not very common to go from a BA in Psych straight to an MS in Physics or Public Policy, since grad programs will typically assume you already have a foundation in that field, esp. ones likely to be worth the investment. You want a long term plan, and not just to end up back where you are now with one more degree and more debt in hand.

You could, as you say, opt for a "new major" but that would be as a 2nd bachelor's (or "post-bac") student, or even go back and get an Associate's degree. Just be aware that, if that's your plan, your eligibility for loans could be fairly limited on a variety of fronts (annual and lifetime borrowing cap, might still be "dependent", etc.) and what you're able to borrow as an undergrad might not cover your tuition, much less living expenses depending on where you enroll.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:48 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,814 times
You can get loans for anything so yes. however if you cannot pay your current bills I would not, I'd work on improving my credit score/ pay may bills down or off first. But yes some vulture out there will still give you a loan to go to school as long as you have nothing too offensive in your credit report.

We still live in a world where free access to credit is given away like candy and its up to you to use it in a way that will help you.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
As Qwerty said, if your existing loans are not in default, you would be eligible for add'l loans if you entered a new degree program (you don't have to "prove hardship"). However, your post was a bit vague - your title says "graduate school" but your post talks about "another major."

You want to be careful there - just because you have a bachelor's in hand doesn't make any new program you join "graduate school" - grad school would be a Master's/PhD/first professional degree (MD/JD/etc.). That wouldn't be a "new major" partly as a matter of verbiage, and partly for the fact that typically graduate work is an extension of your undergrad work. I.e. while not impossible, it's not very common to go from a BA in Psych straight to an MS in Physics or Public Policy, since grad programs will typically assume you already have a foundation in that field, esp. ones likely to be worth the investment. You want a long term plan, and not just to end up back where you are now with one more degree and more debt in hand.

You could, as you say, opt for a "new major" but that would be as a 2nd bachelor's (or "post-bac") student, or even go back and get an Associate's degree. Just be aware that, if that's your plan, your eligibility for loans could be fairly limited on a variety of fronts (annual and lifetime borrowing cap, might still be "dependent", etc.) and what you're able to borrow as an undergrad might not cover your tuition, much less living expenses depending on where you enroll.
The OP is going out for a MA in TESOL (teaching English as a Second Language). No particular background beyond having a bachelors degree is required. It's definitely graduate work, so no issue with the loans there.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The OP is going out for a MA in TESOL (teaching English as a Second Language). No particular background beyond having a bachelors degree is required. It's definitely graduate work, so no issue with the loans there.
Ah, you're right, I skimmed over that.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 PM

265 posts, read 534,800 times
Yes, it is an MA program. I am still applying for jobs in the meantime to attempt to pay my current loans. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities