Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM

9 posts, read 13,335 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find any reliable information on this.
I'm hoping to get into graduate school. If I withdraw now, I will receive a grade of "WF", as I am currently failing, but I'm quite certain I can manage a "D" in the class if I stay it out.

I'm not sure which is preferable for a graduate school application. If there's no difference, I'd prefer to just stay in the class, as I can no longer get a tuition refund for the credits. Programs I had considered applying to are: Master's in Social Work, Master's of Education in Counseling, Master's of Psychology in Counseling, and Master's of Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.

I'd greatly appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
I had a wf and had no problem getting into grad school. It wasn't factored into my gpa. A D would be factored in. If it's the same in your school, I'd take the wf. But first I'd talk to the professor and see if there is any way to at least get that up to a C if not a B.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I had a wf and had no problem getting into grad school. It wasn't factored into my gpa. A D would be factored in. If it's the same in your school, I'd take the wf. But first I'd talk to the professor and see if there is any way to at least get that up to a C if not a B.
Thanks! May I ask what type of graduate school you applied to?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspeciallyInMichigan View Post
Thanks! May I ask what type of graduate school you applied to?
A useless subject in the humanities, but I was accepted to many good schools (not Harvard or anything, but top State unis).

Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM

Thank you!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
That would be the crucial factor, OP. But you may have 1 more option. You might be able to take an Incomplete, and use the time that buys to do extra work to bring your grade up to a "C". Still, you may not want a "C" on your record, either, so weigh that carefully. In order to get an Incomplete, you'd have to talk to the professor. Also, the Incomplete would delay your graduation and your application process to grad school.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Do you have time and money to retake the class if you get a WF? If you take the D is your GPA high enough for whatever school you're applying for?

I would not want a D on my transcript so I'd do everything I could to get an acceptable grade in that class especially if it was a class in the subject I would be going to grad school for. My grad school would have scrutinized a D on my undergrad transcript and I would have had to do some explaining.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Curious. . . What would you expect a professor to do to change a near failing grade into a C or a B?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would be the crucial factor, OP. But you may have 1 more option. You might be able to take an Incomplete, and use the time that buys to do extra work to bring your grade up to a "C". Still, you may not want a "C" on your record, either, so weigh that carefully. In order to get an Incomplete, you'd have to talk to the professor. Also, the Incomplete would delay your graduation and your application process to grad school.
I know of NO school that will allow an Incomplete due to a low grade. YMMV.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:21 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
I would meet with the academic advising person at your school and see how your school handles your transcript and grades in a situation like that. Some schools will allow you to retake classes where you earned lower than a C and replace that grade on your transcript. Some schools will allow you to retake the class but it is just added to your transcript and the original grade stands. How it's computed into your GPA will also matter. It's just not an answer anyone here can really give you without knowing exactly how your school deals with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities