Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times

Advertisements

So I am currently enrolled in a BA of education program and in my state I have to have a post-grad degree within 5 years of graduating/ being certified.

I am not really interested in getting a masters in education and am having a bit of a hard time seeing what other masters I could get after having an ed degree. I've done some research but I am not really sure where to start- I was interested in psych, maybe social work, maybe speech lol I do think that further down the line I want to get a PhD in child psych as well so any type of guidance is really appreciated.

Also If you think of any schools that I could maybe look at for more info that would be great.

For schools- nothing within 1-2 hours of manhattan (I'm an hour up from NYC) as I would like to go in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Sounds like you should get a masters in counseling. That kind of hits the general idea of where you want yo go.

I wouldn't worry about your undergrad degree. Masters are sort of seen as a career changers degree (among other things) so there is no expectation you majored in something similar in undergrad for most disciplines.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Sounds like you should get a masters in counseling. That kind of hits the general idea of where you want yo go.

I wouldn't worry about your undergrad degree. Masters are sort of seen as a career changers degree (among other things) so there is no expectation you majored in something similar in undergrad for most disciplines.
That's not the case with someone that wants to be a teacher!
Jazzii - My daughters master is in International Education and Policy Management. She can still teach but for now works for a non-profit promoting critical language teachers. Global education is a pretty hot topic at most progressive schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I have an English/Sec. Ed. degree and am working on a M.S. in counseling psychology, adolescent emphasis. Working with emotional and behavioral disturbance programs, an increasing amount of my time was spent doing more counseling type work, so I figured, why not just go ahead and get the degree?

It wasn't a problem to enter a psych master's program without a psych undergrad degree, but I did have to take an advanced general psych course that people with bachelor's degrees in psych don't have to take.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That's not the case with someone that wants to be a teacher!
Jazzii - My daughters master is in International Education and Policy Management. She can still teach but for now works for a non-profit promoting critical language teachers. Global education is a pretty hot topic at most progressive schools.
From the way she worded the question I didn't think she wanted to teach anymore! Sorry.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
If you're interested in any of the humanities or languages you could get a masters in that.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:01 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
You shouldn't have a problem with your undergrad degree, for a MS or PhD in psych or getting a master's in social work or speech. Worst case, you might need a semester of stats, but maybe not, depends on the school. Did you take your GRE? If you go for the PhD, you might be able to get full or near-full funding.

Are you looking for schools wtihin an hour or two north of Manhattan? I am a little confused. Marist? Pace? Iona?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
So I am currently enrolled in a BA of education program and in my state I have to have a post-grad degree within 5 years of graduating/ being certified.

I am not really interested in getting a masters in education and am having a bit of a hard time seeing what other masters I could get after having an ed degree. I've done some research but I am not really sure where to start- I was interested in psych, maybe social work, maybe speech lol I do think that further down the line I want to get a PhD in child psych as well so any type of guidance is really appreciated.

Also If you think of any schools that I could maybe look at for more info that would be great.

For schools- nothing within 1-2 hours of manhattan (I'm an hour up from NYC) as I would like to go in person.

I would seriously consider a masters in speech if you think you would like to be a speech therapist. I know a few speech therapists and their jobs are in high demand. As I'm sure you know, speech therapists work with all ages of kids on a one-to-one or small group basis and it's extremely rewarding as the kids make progress.

I'm also confused about where you would like the college located. Any chance your college has an add-on masters program for a discounted rate? If you are looking in the same geographic area as your current college, why not just look over the #2 and #3 colleges that were on your list before?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You shouldn't have a problem with your undergrad degree, for a MS or PhD in psych or getting a master's in social work or speech. Worst case, you might need a semester of stats, but maybe not, depends on the school. Did you take your GRE? If you go for the PhD, you might be able to get full or near-full funding.

Are you looking for schools wtihin an hour or two north of Manhattan? I am a little confused. Marist? Pace? Iona?

People tend to not where I live sorry for the confusion! I currently go to Pace in Westchester, and around 45 minutes from there in newburgh so about an hour in each direction is what I'm looking for since I assume I will be working during this time period, hopefully in a career.

I was under the impression that for speech I would need a BA in speech or linguistics, it seems like a lot of the programs I saw require a lot of language and speech credits

Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
It will depend on the program. My colleagues who have become SLPs are a mixed bag, concerning their undergrad majors.

Someone also mentioned that for psych, entering a grad psych program without an undergrad degree in psych would necessitate stats coursework. Again, this will be program dependent. In my program, EVERYONE is required to take two levels of research design and analysis, which are largely stats classes, regardless of undergrad major. You can't get out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities