Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:02 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
That SAT score, while really good, is nowhere close to the average among those accepted into the likes of Harvard.

So what? It's far more impressive than someone with a couple of hundred points higher that grew up in a upper middle class suburb where almost everyone had parents that went to college and 99% of the graduating class go on to 4 year schools. I went to one of those high schools and the resources we had, and the push we had, and the lack of distractions we had was nothing like an inner school system.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So what?
So nothing. You're not the person I responded to. The person I responded to insisted that that SAT score is a great score, and I pointed out that in the context of Harvard admission, it is not.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM

30 posts, read 10,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Being west coast is a huge factor too. I was an all-state athlete with stellar GPA and decent SAT. But I was also west coast, and my Harvard recruiter directly told me that was a huge factor along with Harvard actively recruiting in my sport. Yale very much seemed like they wanted me because Harvard wanted me. Cornell, Princeton, and Penn also took a big interest because of the sport I played. Dartmouth, Brown and Columbia had zero interest in me. Dartmouth did not carry my sport. Columbia did not recruit in my sport. Brown seemed to place no premium on my location.
(I ended up at University of Chicago, and transferred to Iowa to finish my degree... in case you are wondering what my sport was.)
i'm kinda shaking here with my heart beating fast cause i might be talking to a hot-shot player. for real, breaking out in a sweat kinda scared imma say the wrong thing and all to a big-timer with street cred. an all-state athlete from the west coast? wait til i tell the boys! lol what i wanted to say got my hands tremvbling. I wanted to say i know you're right about looking for somebody from a state to come to your school cause a rich lady (my relative cleaned house for) boy got into carnegie mellow since carnegie was looking for somebody from our state (i'm from a poor state when it comes to learning) and he was the only 1 i guess that applied to them. Smart boy too. so he got in for computer science i think it was. apparently he studied under a big name professor making some kinda break-throughs in software programs and the like and microsoft scoot him and the other boys up lickeyty split with only that first degree offering big pay right off the bat. All of them joined microsoft. guess i'm saying being from a state that school is needing to recruit from (don't know why they needed somebody from a state but it was so) got that boy outta those hills.

so i'm seeing that being from the right state is a plus, and being an all-stater is the biggest plus of all. if it's not to noisy did you know the coach from Iowa Dan Gable? Big-time Olimpian? But you being all-state is famous enough forever i guess. lol I be dog. Well, Thank you for being here talking/listenin, giving a word or two in this forum.

Recruiting - 101.com

Do postseason honors (ie: All State/All State) mean in the chase for an athletic scholarship offer? | Recruiting 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
There was a student last year that was also accepted into all the Ivy's. He, however is not from a poor family, but also was a URM. He had a 2250 SAT and is a freshman at Yale.

Kwasi Enin, 8 for 8 in Ivy League admissions, selects Yale - CNN.com
Sure appreciate this Qwerty. Just seeing this is making my knowing stuff bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why can't we just be happy for these kids, and congratulate them for their achievements? The Ivy League has enough wealthy white kids who get in based on family ties and legacies. Here is another recent story:

https://gma.yahoo.com/long-island-hi...opstories.html
Definitely true there Mattie. I wanna Thank you for taking the time to help me learn more about life that I didn't know. Thank you.

And Thank you everybody all yall in this forum talking and real life meaning of those AP grades, what they are, how hard they are, and just what life is like for yall kids, for youselfs and stuff. I guess I'll be heading on back. Rig time. Thank you.

Thank you NJBest, Timeberline123, moderator, K-luv, BubbyBobble, Ruth4Truth , rarog and just everybody else I can't see from being on this page. (Feel like i'm on the oscars lol). everybody is educating everybody else. So thank you kindly one and all.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I would argue that there is a direct correlation between the price of the prep vs. how much the prep course teaches how to take the SAT and and how much the prep course simply brushes up on the basic skills (math, vocab, essay writing).

Out of over ~1.6 million test takers, a combined score of 1500 is the National average.

The student mentioned in the OP has scores that place him at ~ the 95th percentile, meaning that he scored better than 95% of test takers.

Not sure why many are detracting from the fact that the student mentioned in the OP has a great SAT score, period. Must be because of his facial hair
The argument is that his SAT is NOT all that good for the schools to which he applied. The bottom 25% of Ivy acceptances was 2199 on average so he's not even average for Ivy's....and that is the point.

As for prep--2100 for no prep for a 5.0 student is not a very good score no matter what you say. He simply does not have a great score to get into every Ivy....without being able to check the URM. I'd really like to see the same app go to the same schools without that box checked and see what the success rate is. Again, great, he got in, wonderful, but don't make it seem like he is this outstanding, stellar student because I know a LOT of kids with WAY better stats and accomplishments that didn't get into any Ivy's.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:59 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
you can hate on this guy, but what about this one? Is it still affirmative action?

High schooler Harold Ekeh accepted by all eight Ivy League colleges | Daily Mail Online

2270 SAT, salutatorian, 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semi finalist, trilingual, founded a few clubs. probably wrote a good essay about being an immigrant.

yes, he's a black male. Even if he was white, I'd bet he would get in.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
you can hate on this guy, but what about this one? Is it still affirmative action?

High schooler Harold Ekeh accepted by all eight Ivy League colleges | Daily Mail Online

2270 SAT, salutatorian, 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semi finalist, trilingual, founded a few clubs. probably wrote a good essay about being an immigrant.

yes, he's a black male. Even if he was white, I'd bet he would get in.
You are completely off-topic, or maybe you just do not understand logic.

People are saying: Kid A has less than Harvard average credentials, so he probably wouldn't have gotten in without something else.

You are saying: Kid B has more than Harvard average credentials, so he probably would've gotten in without something else.

These two statements are not related to each other in any logical manner.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Is there a breakdown of the SAT score by verbal/math/writing? Would it even make a difference?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:47 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindrain45 View Post
i'm kinda shaking here with my heart beating fast cause i might be talking to a hot-shot player. for real, breaking out in a sweat kinda scared imma say the wrong thing and all to a big-timer with street cred. an all-state athlete from the west coast? wait til i tell the boys!so i'm seeing that being from the right state is a plus, and being an all-stater is the biggest plus of all. if it's not to noisy did you know the coach from Iowa Dan Gable?
Sheesh, I was just trying to outline in a way that was comparable to the student mentioned originally without getting heavy into all the details of my sport.
And yes, I know some of the Iowa coaches (Gable not so much, but Zalesky pretty well). I started every year at Chicago (it is div III), but was not close to good enough for Iowa. I did win a single match at Midlands . I was a mediocre college athlete.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
He's in the top 4% of SAT test takers. Let's not act like he is some remedial barely literate charity case. He's obviously an intelligent person. More so than most of us posting in this thread. LOL

Just because Harvard usually takes people that hover in the top 2% of grades/tests (done because they can) doesn't mean that people a tiny bit below that are "unworthy". Does anyone really think he's not capable of thriving wherever he ends up?

At a certain point this just gets petty. A very smart, accomplished, hard-working kid hit the jackpot. Yay for him.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
He's in the top 4% of SAT test takers. Let's not act like he is some remedial barely literate charity case. He's obviously an intelligent person. More so than most of us posting in this thread. LOL

Just because Harvard usually takes people that hover in the top 2% of grades/tests (done because they can) doesn't mean that people a tiny bit below that are "unworthy". Does anyone really think he's not capable of thriving wherever he ends up?

At a certain point this just gets petty. A very smart, accomplished, hard-working kid hit the jackpot. Yay for him.
This is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Intelligence or qualification must be in the context of Harvard admission. The fact remains that an SAT score of 2150 is way below Harvard average, and a student with this score needs to win over the admission committee with other factors.

Not to mention that your statement that this particular kid is more intelligent than most posters in this thread is not only completely baseless but also, again, completely irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities