Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 PM

30 posts, read 10,247 times

Advertisements

Oakland Teen Has A 5.0 GPA & Scores 2100 On SAT & Accepted Into Every Ivy League School! Apr 8, 2014 youtube so it's relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq359F_ayHs

oakland inner-city public school kid with 5.0 GPA (was told it was possible with A's in AP classes).

I thought this was impossible for an inner-city kid but decided to challenge my concepts & went searching on youtube and found it. I wanted to post this just in case there's people like me reading. I did believe in sterortypes so shoot me. At least i'm willing to change or challenge them. I just got sick and tired of being lied to so decided to check for myself for a change. He's the exception but shouldn't be since this is america. this should be the standard for all kids in america.

I found this in the comment section (which is pretty racist, the comment section).

2100/2400 is in the top 4% of SAT takers, 5.0 has got to be top 1% of AP classes.

SAT ® Percentile Ranks for Males, Females, and Total Group

https://secure-media.collegeboard.or...iting-2014.pdf

America's braindrain must be horrible when you look at where gifted kids can be found across these economuc/social barriers. Maybe some people are/were like me so here's this video. If anyone has or know where there are youtubes about kids like this, beating the odds & going to college, can you post the sites? I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the teacher's section asking them. If this is the wrong section can you move it over to the right one? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
That GPA is impressive.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Schools in cities like Oakland are largely filled with thugs that have about 2 cents worth of intelligence so it's nice to see a bright spot. I'm sure this young man will move on to do great things.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
2100 SAT wouldn't do jack for a suburban white kid.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
He would hate Yale. Huge culture shock. Everyone wants him for their "diversity" count. He'd feel more comfortable at Columbia. I wonder what kind of an aid/scholarship package UC Berkeley offered him. There's nothing wrong with UC Berkeley. At least he wouldn't freeze his rear off in winter. UC B has a great law program.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:41 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
That's affirmative action for you.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
2100 SAT wouldn't do jack for a suburban white kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
That's affirmative action for you.

I was just thinking that this was strange, because everyone I know that got into ivy league or equivalent tier schools had an SAT score over 2300. Then I saw the picture and was like "aaaaah". So much for equal opportunity.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I was just thinking that this was strange, because everyone I know that got into ivy league or equivalent tier schools had an SAT score over 2300. Then I saw the picture and was like "aaaaah". So much for equal opportunity.
SAT doesn't play that big of a role compared to the 5.0 GPA, 3 instruments and a sport. 2100 falls within the largest distribution (about 1/4th of the student body) of Ivy league students (albeit in the lower end). So it's not an unusual score at all. Looking at Brown, specifically, about 35% of students have below a 2100.

Equal opportunity means that everyone who meets a certain level of merit has equal opportunity for admission. If you look at the admissions of Ivy league universities, this student's SAT score is right smack in the middle or within 2 deviations. So he didn't need any other help than his merit.

Let's be honest, he's a bright kid. It's a shame he wants to go to Yale or Brown.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM

30 posts, read 10,247 times
LOL. yall too intelligent for youselves. see here, its simple.

Take a poor WHITE boy same 2100 SAT plus talented. The boy can PLAY some ball. Same stats! Now you want to convince me that colleges all over this nation ain't gonna try to sign that boy up promising him the world? you measuring the wrong white boy! rofl and you a lie if you don't think he would have talent scouts crawling all over those hollars for that kid.

diversity ain't just about race, its about class. now, all things equal show me (go find him) that white boy from the hollars with a 2100 SAT and can play some ball that didn't knock out some suburban white boy too! lol sounds just about equal to me.

that's what affirmative action (not only for blacks but for disables, poor folk, women etc.) will get you in 2015.

And NJBest, you're right. Thanks for the information and breaking it down.

(I guess we don't have any sites around. well, thank you kindly anyway.)

Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
SAT doesn't play that big of a role compared to the 5.0 GPA, 3 instruments and a sport. 2100 falls within the largest distribution (about 1/4th of the student body) of Ivy league students (albeit in the lower end). So it's not an unusual score at all. Looking at Brown, specifically, about 35% of students have below a 2100.

Equal opportunity means that everyone who meets a certain level of merit has equal opportunity for admission. If you look at the admissions of Ivy league universities, this student's SAT score is right smack in the middle or within 2 deviations. So he didn't need any other help than his merit.

Let's be honest, he's a bright kid. It's a shame he wants to go to Yale or Brown.
A 2100 would put him in the bottom 22% of the Harvard admissions and a 5.0 GPA means little without a school or class ranking to go with it. And you do realize that colleges admit to using race as a factor in their admissions, right?

But let's just say, for the sake of argument (and simplicity), that the bottom 35% of students admitted to the Ivy league schools were admitted with an SAT score of 2100-. If he had a 35% chance of getting admitted to each school, that would give him an overall probability of about 0.02% of being admitted to all eight Ivy league schools. You still want to claim that race wasn't a factor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities