Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,210 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a question for anyone who is familiar with or is in the field of Accounting. I have a BS in Management (not a smart decision I know) and am trying to decide whether to get a Masters in Accounting or an MBA with a focus in Accounting. Which would be the best option if I am trying to start a career in Accounting? Or if this is not the best way to go about getting into Accounting, how should I start?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
Accounting Theory and Practice

by Roy Bernard Kester

https://archive.org/details/accountingtheor00kestgoog

Double-entry accounting is 700 years old, how complicated is it really?

We just need to keep most people from learning it. LOL

psik

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
If you want to become a CPA, the rules vary by state. My daughter took some required courses above her bachelor's degree and received her CPA. other states have different rules.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
If you want to become a CPA, the rules vary by state. My daughter took some required courses above her bachelor's degree and received her CPA. other states have different rules.
Thank you for your reply! I looked at Illinois guidelines and it says that you need to have work experience in accounting along with their other requirements to sit in on the CPA. How many credit hours did she take of accounting classes, and did she have a job in accounting before she took her CPA?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
After graduating from college with a degree in Economics, I went to night school to obtain the accounting credits I needed to meet the requirements to take the CPA test. I then went to grad school and obtained an M.S. degree in Taxation. From there I got a job as an IRS revenue agent.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmywrd8 View Post
Thank you for your reply! I looked at Illinois guidelines and it says that you need to have work experience in accounting along with their other requirements to sit in on the CPA. How many credit hours did she take of accounting classes, and did she have a job in accounting before she took her CPA?
Did you look at how many accounting credits are required by your state? That can give you an idea of whether or not the MBA with an accounting concentration will give you enough accounting credits.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Here's the deal. First of all, if you can get into an elite MBA program (i.e. top 10-15), I'd probably do that because they are feeder programs top employers. The problem is that they are very difficult to get in and most won't be able to.

If not, then you really need to decide whether you want to be an accountant or if you just see accounting as a path to other jobs in the business world. This makes a big difference. A lot of entry level accounting positions don't like hiring MBAs that don't have an undergraduate accounting degree or accounting experience. The reason is that they think you'll stick around for a couple of years and then quit.

If you are sure that you want to be an accountant, I think a Master's in Accounting or Tax is probably the way to go. The reason is that you should be able to complete it in a year or a year and a summer if you have already taken your introductory accounting and statistics classes that most business major do. The recruiting at those programs will be much more accounting focused and your professors will have ties in the local business community in accounting. You'll be around a lot of accountants (some who are already working as accountants and could put a good world in for you if they are hiring).

If you don't really think Accounting as a long term career, a MBA is probably a better route. It is more flexible, though you'll have to stack your electives with accounting classes to be eligible to sit for the CPA exam.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
After graduating from college with a degree in Economics, I went to night school to obtain the accounting credits I needed to meet the requirements to take the CPA test. I then went to grad school and obtained an M.S. degree in Taxation. From there I got a job as an IRS revenue agent.
Thank you for replying! I was thinking a waiting a few years though to get my CPA and wanted to just start out as an Accountant. In Illinois you have to have at least 1 year experience in Accounting as part of the requirement. So do you think that a M.S. in Taxation, Accounting, or an MBA in Accounting would be the best avenue to do so?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Did you look at how many accounting credits are required by your state? That can give you an idea of whether or not the MBA with an accounting concentration will give you enough accounting credits.
Yes, in Illinois you need at least 30 credit hours of Accounting courses. My predicament though is that I need at least one year of supervised experience to get my CPA license (and since I do not have the necessary Accounting education to obtain an Accounting job, I need to find out what certification or Masters Degree I should pursue to be able to be hired as an Accountant). I was hoping to be able to get a job with an MBA in Accounting, but I have heard mixed things about that.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmywrd8 View Post
Thank you for replying! I was thinking a waiting a few years though to get my CPA and wanted to just start out as an Accountant. In Illinois you have to have at least 1 year experience in Accounting as part of the requirement. So do you think that a M.S. in Taxation, Accounting, or an MBA in Accounting would be the best avenue to do so?
It depends on what you want to do. I took a liking to tax accounting; so I got a graduate degree in that field. In a prior work life, I worked as a budget analyst and hated it. I have friends that work as internal auditors. I also know a comptroller and have worked with former comptrollers. You can pursue a career as a financial analyst. There are a lot of options. You should find your niche within the field of accounting before pursuing a graduate degree. Otherwise your may end up wasting your time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities