Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 PM

40 posts, read 44,200 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Seems like in today's society, the honor of earning a Bachelors Degree has seemed to lost it's value. I state this because I have noticed that more and more with time the Bachelors Degree is now almost equivalent to a certain amount of experience needed for a job. I am someone who tends to look for jobs quite often, and I see that quite a few jobs will take either or. Not to mention, now more than ever the Bachelors Degree is the most common degree. Not to say that earning a college degree is meaningless, but is it worth all the loans, stress and time? I'm currently a college student so I understand the struggle. but when I see that someone can work at a company for nearly 10 years and make around 50- 65 thousand a year, it makes you questions things. This observation is not just an opinions, but I have done some reading and this is what I found. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

CHECK IT OUT, TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK:

College Degree Loses Value

https://hbr.org/2014/01/the-degree-is-doomed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
I think degrees are losing "value" because so many people have them. At one time it was a prestigious status symbol, and to some extent it still is. I still think a BA MBA Masters Doctorate still open a ton of doors that otherwise would be closed.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,123,662 times
Most of them are. Especially liberal arts degrees (aka 4-year party degrees) because so many over-grown children are getting them. Computer science and electrical engineering degrees actually seem to be increasing in value, though.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,343,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Most of them are. Especially liberal arts degrees (aka 4-year party degrees) because so many over-grown children are getting them. Computer science and electrical engineering degrees actually seem to be increasing in value, though.
It's absurd to think that liberal arts degrees are 4-year party degrees. I have multiple degrees in liberal arts fields (computer science and physics). If you think that computer science and physics are party majors, it's quite evident that you lack experience with college education. Both liberal arts programs are in demand in both the private and academic sector.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's absurd to think that liberal arts degrees are 4-year party degrees. I have multiple degrees in liberal arts fields (computer science and physics). If you think that computer science and physics are party majors, it's quite evident that you lack experience with college education. Both liberal arts programs are in demand in both the private and academic sector.
That individual has constantly bashed liberal arts programs like computer science, physics, and math. It seems to make her feel good.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That individual has constantly bashed liberal arts programs like computer science, physics, and math. It seems to make her feel good.
Why don't you provide us with a link to where I bashed computer science, physics, or math?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,343,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why don't you provide us with a link to where I bashed computer science, physics, or math?
Well, you already did in this thread with your statement about how these liberal arts programs are party degrees.

But a quick look around confirms that you also bashed these kinds of programs here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-subjects.html

The reality is that liberal arts programs like computer science, physics, and math should not be bashed as they are great programs (just like other liberal arts programs) to get an education in.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Well, you already did in this thread with your statement about how these liberal arts programs are party degrees.

But a quick look around confirms that you also bashed these kinds of programs here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-subjects.html

The reality is that liberal arts programs like computer science, physics, and math should not be bashed as they are great programs (just like other liberal arts programs) to get an education in.
Point made. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,808,637 times
How can a bachelors degree lose its value when you NEED it in order to obtain a masters degree?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM

653 posts, read 811,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissie2010 View Post
Hello all,

Seems like in today's society, the honor of earning a Bachelors Degree has seemed to lost it's value. I state this because I have noticed that more and more with time the Bachelors Degree is now almost equivalent to a certain amount of experience needed for a job. I am someone who tends to look for jobs quite often, and I see that quite a few jobs will take either or. Not to mention, now more than ever the Bachelors Degree is the most common degree. Not to say that earning a college degree is meaningless, but is it worth all the loans, stress and time? I'm currently a college student so I understand the struggle. but when I see that someone can work at a company for nearly 10 years and make around 50- 65 thousand a year, it makes you questions things. This observation is not just an opinions, but I have done some reading and this is what I found. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

CHECK IT OUT, TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK:

College Degree Loses Value

https://hbr.org/2014/01/the-degree-is-doomed/
losing? I think it has lost its value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities