Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times

Advertisements

The day your GPA matters most is during school and the day of graduation when you get some recognition for it. You get some ropes to wear with your gown, your name is on the Dean's list, you get a star by your name on the graduation ceremony program for academic honors.

I had a couple scholarships associated with maintaining a high GPA which did come in handy.

After you take your graduation gown off it no longer matters.

After that day, no one has ever asked or taken note of what my gpa in college was when I applied for any job - not when I applied for jobs after undergrad and neither after I went to grad school. Ever. And get this - now I am a professor. People just assume my gpa was high.

Well, it was dammit, but no one ever asks, so they don't really know. Buried somewhere in my personnel file are my transcripts. I suppose some HR person sometime looked at it. I tell my students this when they come freaking out that a B will ruin their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM

1,149 posts, read 933,810 times
I agree. My professor always said A students work at companies ran by B students and C students own it. Maybe because B/C students can apply real world experience and work while going to school instead of studying all the time for A's.

GPA is good for scholarships and getting into graduate/post graduate schools. Most companies do not ask for it unless for an internship or if it is a specific job such as an educator where it matters.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Cs get degrees (actually that's not strictly true - Cs in my core classes wouldn't have gotten me a degree and a bunch of Cs in graduate school wouldn't gotten me tossed out), but they don't get to work at any of the companies I've been at.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup. Heard that. And also 2.0 and go.

You'll get a degree.

Then you'll whine on CDF that you can't get a job and have too many college loans and the world is a crock and the baby boomers ruined everything.
Spot on! Thank you for making my Friday.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:55 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
This is how a C-student becomes successful.

Spend college partying and making friends. Network, Network, network right? Graduate with 2.0 GPA and get your degree. Don't be a bum. Keep in touch with old friends as everyone starts their careers. When a friend has an opening at their company, you jump to the head of the line and get in for an interview and land the job just based off who you know, vs what you know. After 3 years or so of working hard, your GPA will no longer be a factor and you can interview and network and move up the ladder based on experience.

Seems far fetched, but I've seen this happen plenty of times. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I agree. My professor always said A students work at companies ran by B students and C students own it. Maybe because B/C students can apply real world experience and work while going to school instead of studying all the time for A's.

GPA is good for scholarships and getting into graduate/post graduate schools. Most companies do not ask for it unless for an internship or if it is a specific job such as an educator where it matters.
I've always thought the idea that smart people lacked common sense was pretty hilarious. Like those who can, do; those who can't, teach. Just a way to give those with lower GPA's the warm-fuzzies. I guys I know who shot for C's in undergrad I wouldn't trust to park my car.

Beyond that grades absolutely matter if you want to get more than the new high school diploma. As mentioned earlier name recognition is a good thing, so getting into a good grad school matters, and grad schools use GPA as a factor.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
IMaybe because B/C students can apply real world experience and work while going to school instead of studying all the time for A's.

Meh... I know plenty of people who got As, AND real world experience, and worked through school. It is possible if you apply yourself.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... I know plenty of people who got As, AND real world experience, and worked through school. It is possible if you apply yourself.
Yep and it says something about your work ethic as well.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Isn't a C average?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This is how a C-student becomes successful.

Spend college partying and making friends. Network, Network, network right? Graduate with 2.0 GPA and get your degree. Don't be a bum. Keep in touch with old friends as everyone starts their careers. When a friend has an opening at their company, you jump to the head of the line and get in for an interview and land the job just based off who you know, vs what you know. After 3 years or so of working hard, your GPA will no longer be a factor and you can interview and network and move up the ladder based on experience.

Seems far fetched, but I've seen this happen plenty of times. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.
There is another view too:
People who get As are perfectionists. In the real world too. Which can lead to missed deadlines, bad attitude, etc. Sometimes you win awards for your work. Sometime you fail miserably (but rarely, just more than in school).
People who get Cs do just enough to pass. Always meeting deadline and never failing is a good thing. Sure, you might never hit a home run, i.e. award winning projects, but you are always profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities