Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:24 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,621,357 times

Advertisements

^^^ That was for an accelerated program. It averages due to the cost going up about $5,000 to $5,500 per semester over four year's so about $40,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:45 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,099,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
^^^ That was for an accelerated program. It averages due to the cost going up about $5,000 to $5,500 per semester over four year's so about $40,000.
Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking it was 40K/year.

As much as I hate debt, it would be well worth it to take out federal student loans to cover your living expenses and not try to work and do the accelerated program. You should also qualify for financial aid if you haven't exhausted your federal aid in your previous schooling. The starting salary for an RN should be more than enough to cover the loan payments. If you have exhausted your undergrad loan eligibility, you will qualify for PLUS loans. Don't take any private loans though.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,867,502 times
I did LPN school in Jersey at the Vocational school F/T in 1981. I went from Sept. to Oct. straight thru. Graduated and took the boards. I was told by my instructors that I should have went on for my BSN because of my grades, but I fell in love, got married and started having kids. I started out making 9.00 an hour and by the time I had to leave nursing in 2000, I was making 27.00 an hour. I would do the LPN to RN which takes 16 months after your LPN is complete, then worry about the BS. JMO. I worked as a charge nurse even as an LPN in nursing homes and was very happy at my job. It's a great profession, but watch your back, knees and shoulders. Best of luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM

I took out a $5,000 loan while in college. First year paid it off to $2,500. Paid off the rest after finishing my bachelor's. I took financial aid out, think $10,000, first year of college. After that paid out of pocket for school. So hopefully didn't exhaust financial aid my fiancé did.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,099,727 times
Quote:
I took out a $5,000 loan while in college. First year paid it off to $2,500. Paid off the rest after finishing my bachelor's. I took financial aid out, think $10,000, first year of college. After that paid out of pocket for school. So hopefully didn't exhaust financial aid my fiancé did.
Doesn't sound like it so that is good. Also, do some searching for scholarships for non-traditional students, career changers, etc. For a while there were a lot out there for women specifically but I haven't looked in a few years.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking it was 40K/year.

As much as I hate debt, it would be well worth it to take out federal student loans to cover your living expenses and not try to work and do the accelerated program. You should also qualify for financial aid if you haven't exhausted your federal aid in your previous schooling. The starting salary for an RN should be more than enough to cover the loan payments. If you have exhausted your undergrad loan eligibility, you will qualify for PLUS loans. Don't take any private loans though.
I agree.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 AM

Well I talked with my fiancé, I am leaning towards the LPN program. We both can obtain job's in the area we are looking at to move to. One of us will probably go back first to school for their RN. Area looking to move we saw five part time evening weekend program's. So one of us can work full time and the other part time. Probably my fiancé will go first since most of her sciences are complete and only needs to complete a 6 credit online nursing skills class.

The part time programs has an extra semester so not that bad. We both be RNs by 2020. Then we both go on to our RN to BSN a lot more flexibility then a LPN to BSN program.

I was thinking of OTA, but think more options to grow with nursing.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:35 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,867,502 times
Quote:
Well I talked with my fiancé, I am leaning towards the LPN program. We both can obtain job's in the area we are looking at to move to. One of us will probably go back first to school for their RN. Area looking to move we saw five part time evening weekend program's. So one of us can work full time and the other part time. Probably my fiancé will go first since most of her sciences are complete and only needs to complete a 6 credit online nursing skills class.

The part time programs has an extra semester so not that bad. We both be RNs by 2020. Then we both go on to our RN to BSN a lot more flexibility then a LPN to BSN program.

Best of luck to you both! It's a great career.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,398,027 times
Quote:

Good luck to you! No matter when you get the BSN, you'll be glad you did it.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:29 PM

50,377 posts, read 36,005,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Perhaps our market (Sun City AZ) commands a higher level for LPNs then the rest of the country?

LPNs at the top of the wage scale can easily clear $70k with overtime.
I work in nursing homes, and here in NJ LPNs get much more than $12 an hour, CNAs more than $9. My niece is an LPN and started at much much more than $12 an hour. She works in a hospital system btw. She started out as a floor nurse, now she teaches the computer doc system to new doctors and nurses. She is going back for her BSN though. Maybe the poster is from Mississippi or some other state down south like that pays lower wages than most. I do agree with the poster that most LPN jobs are in nursing homes, but nursing homes don't necessarily pay less than hospitals. I'm an OT, and in my field as well as PT, nursing homes pay much higher wages than hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities