Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Back then did your application also include a DVD/CD of your recital, or student made film for some organization? Not trying to be snarky. Just curious if in the mid-90s, the application just involved sending forms, transcripts, test scores, etc. Now, in addition, one needs to include supplementary materials and each school sets their own rules for type of media and how many of these items can be included with the application.
Huh?

It's Berkeley, not Juilliard or Cal Arts.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Huh?

It's Berkeley, not Juilliard or Cal Arts.
Have you looked at the applications for Duke, Yale, MIT, U of Michigan, etc. within the past 10 years? They all have instructions for submitting DVD/CDs of student performances, filmwork, theater performances, artwork, etc. even if the prospective student intends to major in an academic area. Even my homestate public colleges provide instructions on how to submit them with applications. They are optional, not required. They are used for evaluation purposes for admittance and potential scholarships, and honors programs. At the most select universities, it is almost a given that some media entry will be part of the student's application to help them show their unique talents and skills. The application process is extremely competitive and trying to standout in this elite pack means demonstrating everything that you've got. Good grades, good letters of recommendations, and good SAT/ACT scores do not cut it any more. Too many kids have that already and unless the student is from some exceptional circumstances, having perfect scores on the basic criteria, number 1 or 2 class rank etc. is just the baseline for the student's application not to automatically be placed in the reject pile. Do you know what it means when colleges make statements about this year's "yield?"

Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's harder today because of SHEER NUMBERS. When you apply and all things being equal there is a 1 in 100 chance you'll get in and you do you may feel like it's not that hard. When the same thing happens but the odd are now 1 in 1000 it's a different ballgame.

I had friends who went to Stanford and Berkeley in the late 70's. I probably could have swung Berkeley if I'd applied and trust me, I'm not that special. They weren't superstars, just smart kids from local public schools who would never have a shot today. The business model for college has changed.
Very True

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM

195 posts, read 231,458 times
Have good grades and be African American!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Have you looked at the applications for Duke, Yale, MIT, U of Michigan, etc. within the past 10 years? They all have instructions for submitting DVD/CDs of student performances, filmwork, theater performances, artwork, etc. even if the prospective student intends to major in an academic area. Even my homestate public colleges provide instructions on how to submit them with applications. They are optional, not required. They are used for evaluation purposes for admittance and potential scholarships, and honors programs. At the most select universities, it is almost a given that some media entry will be part of the student's application to help them show their unique talents and skills. The application process is extremely competitive and trying to standout in this elite pack means demonstrating everything that you've got. Good grades, good letters of recommendations, and good SAT/ACT scores do not cut it any more. Too many kids have that already and unless the student is from some exceptional circumstances, having perfect scores on the basic criteria, number 1 or 2 class rank etc. is just the baseline for the student's application not to automatically be placed in the reject pile. Do you know what it means when colleges make statements about this year's "yield?"
Some schools require an art portfolio to be submitted, even if the applicant won't be studying art. They're demanding more well-rounded applicants, now. They want their students to have some experience with music or stage performance (drama), 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional art in the portfolio are required. So the schools have had to step up and offer art classes in a variety of media, and HS students have to make time in their schedules for this.

It's radically different than when I went to school. My HS didn't even have art classes, and there was no teaching methodology for art back then. In grade school and middle school we were just given projects, but no instruction, so students were graded purely on innate talent or the lack of it. It totally sucked. Universities are forcing the US to catch up to Europe in the quality of art instruction.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Have good grades and be African American!
Because we know that Berkeley doesn't accept White students, and takes all AA students with good grades.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some schools require an art portfolio to be submitted, even if the applicant won't be studying art. They're demanding more well-rounded applicants, now. They want their students to have some experience with music or stage performance (drama), 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional art in the portfolio are required. So the schools have had to step up and offer art classes in a variety of media, and HS students have to make time in their schedules for this.

It's radically different than when I went to school. My HS didn't even have art classes, and there was no teaching methodology for art back then. In grade school and middle school we were just given projects, but no instruction, so students were graded purely on innate talent or the lack of it. It totally sucked. Universities are forcing the US to catch up to Europe in the quality of art instruction.
Which schools require portfolios from non-art/architecture/design students?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
You know a lot more about this than I do, but let me play devil's advocate.

First, as you said, they are optional. And I understand why students would do anything they could to stand out, considering what appears to be both grade and test score inflation (through test coaching).

But I wonder: do those DVDs really get looked at if the student plans to major, say, in math or business?

Admissions officers already have a lot to deal with, sorting through so many applicants.

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-10-2015 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 AM

Students need to realize that the world beyond college is not going to judge them "as a whole person," but strictly in terms of the marketplace and its current needs.

Having a seal of approval from a particular prestigious school is not going to get your first novel accepted, your business proposal accepted, etc.

There comes a time in life when the world stops revolving around you -- however brilliant you are -- and you have to deal with it on its own terms.

This is especially true because of the disconnect between college and the job market. If you go to Harvard Business School and do well -- and you're reasonably presentable -- then you probably have it made in terms of a successful career on Wall Street. But most paths from college to career are far less clear than that.

Students accepted to Juilliard or Curtis already qualify as professional musicians, because they are musical prodigies who are simply going in for a little fine tuning. That is not the case with most music majors around the country.

My own goal in going to college was self-enrichment, not a career. That is perfectly legitimate as long as you accept the fact that a degree does not mean you will automatically get a good job.

But even if you are focused on a career in a high demand field, you have to understand that life after college will be even more competitive than getting into a prestigious school. Why? Because society only needs so many "chiefs" (lawyers, dentists, CPAs, college professors, business executives.)

I think we would be better off if we matched the number of college students to the number of likely career opportunities and tracked students at an early age as they do in Europe, with most going into apprenticeships and only a few attending a university.

If you look at the legal profession over the last thirty years, it is downright pathetic that there are so many law school graduates who can't find good jobs as lawyers.

Law school is expensive, stressful, and should only be experienced by those with a good chance of becoming lawyers.

It is a crime that the number of accredited law schools far exceeds the number needed to meet the nation's need for lawyers.

I just cite that as an example of how irresponsible our colleges are when it comes to looking out for the interests of their students.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Which schools require portfolios from non-art/architecture/design students?
I keep hearing that arts programs are the first to be chopped when public schools face budget cuts.

So I doubt that college applicants who are not applying to arts programs are required to submit portfolios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities