Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times

Advertisements

I have two kids in college and neither have had kids with disciplinary problems in their class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:53 PM

195 posts, read 231,490 times
My kids say that in their college classrooms the students bully the teachers by:

Spending most of the time on their SmartPhone during the lecture and discussion

Talking among them themselves when the Instructor is speaking

Walk in and out of the class for no real reason

Arrive late, leave early

When called upon they go mute or start to giggle trying to unnerve the instructor

Laugh at the students who appear to be trying and show enthusiasm for the class and materials

Give a terrible review of the instructor if they make it hard to get anything but an "A"

Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Unlike in high school, college attendance isn't usually mandatory (though professors may require it in their classes, no one's going to call your parents if you don't turn up).

This means only students who take college seriously to some degree will be in the room. Students who would've been unmanageable had they been forced to be in class, are simply not there.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
I took some classes in mid 2000s from a branch of West Virginia University. Apparently they had had some problems with their students. The school literally had a security camera in each classroom. At the time, some or all of those feeds were open to the public via Internet. The instructors told everyone about the cameras, and said "If you have a problem with it, you may want to consider another school."

Old 06-08-2015, 11:08 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Our son had a prof that went ballistic in class....and was fired and replaced with a much better prof but the kids have all been fine.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I don't think so. Being in College is a CHOICE. No one is forcing the students to be there, they can just get up and leave class if they want.

In High School, students are being forced to go and will get thrown in JAIL if they don't.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 AM

195 posts, read 231,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't think so. Being in College is a CHOICE. No one is forcing the students to be there, they can just get up and leave class if they want.

In High School, students are being forced to go and will get thrown in JAIL if they don't.
I know lots of people who sent their kid to college because they thought that was the only option. The 18 year old kids were tired of school and are bored to death in college and act out because they don't want to be there. But they don't want to work a minimum wage job either.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:18 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Unlike in high school, college attendance isn't usually mandatory (though professors may require it in their classes, no one's going to call your parents if you don't turn up).

This means only students who take college seriously to some degree will be in the room. Students who would've been unmanageable had they been forced to be in class, are simply not there.
Yeah, I get the whole "I don't wanna be here" from my students, especially because I teach history and have a 1st period class and an 8th period class full of lower-performing Juniors who are mostly over the whole education thing. I teach HS. I often wonder how much easier it would be to teach college.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Are there problems with discipline in the College classrooms, especially in Community Colleges or schools of higher education that let pretty much anyone in? Really many college students are no more mature than many High School students.

Tell us what is happening in college classrooms today. Is it just like High School where teachers have a hard time getting the kids to behave?
I can't imagine there would be since students are not required to be there. Any disruptions they'd just ask you to leave. I never saw any incidents in CC. CC's are good places to learn, and there are many older students in class as well. CC got me into an excellent transfer school for occupational therapy and saved me thousands to boot. All students there are adults who choose to be there.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I know lots of people who sent their kid to college...
- act out...they don't want to work a minimum wage job either.
1) students that are paying their own way are not gonna waste their time or money on classes with discipline issues.
2) College students that are 'acting-out' will likely be working minimum wage jobs (degree or not)
3) Colleges do not need to put up with wayward students (and can get rid of them)
4) I have attended and taught in CC and U's have not had disciple issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities