Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times

Advertisements

People should understand that UTD has had a program in place for the past several years, in partnership with Southwestern Medical School, that gives joint acceptance to BA and MD training programs at the respective institutions. If you hadn't already figured it out, admission into the program is extremely competitive.

I only bring this up because some of the comments on a recently closed thread make it seem like both UTD supporters and detractors are not aware this program exists. If this is already common knowledge on this forum, then my apologies. Here is a link if anyone wants to know more:

UT-PACT BA/MD Program - Health Professions Advising Center (HPAC) - The University of Texas at Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Interesting...I wasn't aware of this. Just asked my husband (recent UTSW grad) and he was vaguely aware of some classmates who he thinks came in via this program.

Man, the course plan looks like a drag, though. And your only option is Biology. I guess it is a way to fast track through, but you could really do that on your own anyway if you wanted and had the credits--anyone who is admitted probably does.

They biggest benefit I see is provisional admission to UTSW, which is a big deal.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM

68 posts, read 91,514 times
I read the title and immediately thought, chess team!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:58 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
1. It's odd that the course requirements don't include Ochem II. Ochem II is a big player on the MCAT test.

1a. That 19hr. first semester sophomore year does not look like any fun.

2. I can't find the requirements but I'll bet a nickel that as part of the deal UTSW requires really strong grades and a solid MCAT score.

3. I bet every one of the 20 admitted has way better than the 3.5 GPA posted minimum requirement and stellar SAT scores.

4. I wonder how many of the 20 wash out or change their minds over the 3 yrs. of college?

I'll ask my kid if he knows any PACT students at UTSW and if so what they think about the program.

5. It seems odd to me that UTD tries so hard to hide UTSW's minimum acceptable MCAT score for this program.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. It's odd that the course requirements don't include Ochem II. Ochem II is a big player on the MCAT test.

1a. That 19hr. first semester sophomore year does not look like any fun.

2. I can't find the requirements but I'll bet a nickel that as part of the deal UTSW requires really strong grades and a solid MCAT score.

3. I bet every one of the 20 admitted has way better than the 3.5 GPA posted minimum requirement and stellar SAT scores.

4. I wonder how many of the 20 wash out or change their minds over the 3 yrs. of college?

I'll ask my kid if he knows any PACT students at UTSW and if so what they think about the program.

5. It seems odd to me that UTD tries so hard to hide UTSW's minimum acceptable MCAT score for this program.
This.

To answer the OP's question, the only reason one would consider UTD given the situation would be due to cost.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
This.

To answer the OP's question, the only reason one would consider UTD given the situation would be due to cost.
Man, a lot of shade bring thrown at this program.

I dunno, to me it seems that gaining (provisional) admission to med school at age 18, rather than chancing it after undergrad, would be a pretty good reason.

For that matter, UTD is a perfectly fine school for lots of fields of study. I don't know that I'd major in English there, but a B-school, engineering or hard science degree from UTD is well-respected.

To think that all or most of the students at UTD have "settled" for it due to cost is a gross misconception.

---

FWIW, the salutatorian at Plano Senior this year declined offers from Berkeley, Rice, Cornell, and Caltech (!) to enroll in the UTD/UTSW program.

I don't have access to her checkbook, but I'd guess the MD certainty and accelerated nature of the program had more to do with her decision than dollars and cents. And even if $$$ were an issue, getting effectively ALL of undergrad PLUS first year of med school paid for shows excellent financial judgment.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:46 AM

84 posts, read 94,606 times
If I have to pick one in DFW then I would pick UTD over UNT, Austin College,UT Arlington and community colleges. Only SMU ranks better than UTD but you have to be loaded or a merit scholar to be able to afford it.

Rice, UT Austin, Baylor and A & M rank higher than all DFW schools, provide better college experience and grand alumni networks. UTD is very much a commuter school so that's a drawback.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
This.

With respect, that's your thinking not mine. My points about the PACT program were minor quibbles not broad indictments, sorry if it seemed otherwise. Within the PACT program and otherwise UTD pumps a good number of grads into UTSW and other top medical schools every year. UTD's bio program in particular is really strong in this context.

The fact of the matter is getting into any allopathic medical school is a Herculean accomplishment that most people cannot really comprehend. Getting into UTSW - no matter how - is even better.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I've known and am friends with several people who went to UTSW. Not a one of them went through UTD to do so, and if asked, that would not be their recommendation for a "superstar" student.

For the situation given, again, cost is the most logical reason why UTD would be chosen.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I went to UTSW (graduated UT Austin).

This was 15 years ago, but the students that surprised me were the TAMS guys.

If that's still around, worth looking into.

All this being said, I'm not really sure that most high school seniors really know that they want to be doctors.
And a lot of them who thought they did wound up finding out that it wasn't for them during undergrad.

The vast majority of people I have ever known in high school and college who thought they wanted to do medicine didn't wind up doing it. Yeah, some bc they couldn't get in to med school, but many bc they found other careers/interests.

There are even people who have finish medical school or residency or are well into their careers who don't want to be doctors.

I am wary of accelerated programs for that reason.

That being said, I think UTD is a fantastic STEM school. I know many engineers/scientists who did undergrad there. Great bang for buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities