U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM

579 posts, read 431,872 times

Advertisements

Perhaps there are some people who are ordinary tourists that would visit colleges as they otherwise would any other touristic sight.

I knew that Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, UVA, Berkeley, UCLA, W&M (stateside) and Oxford, Cambridge, Bologna, Salamanca, Sorbonne, Coimbra, Trinity College Dublin (in Europe) were known as being touristic attractions in their own right.

But are there other colleges that are touristically overshadowed by their cities (like Columbia) or just not on a touristic radar (like WUSTL, Kenyon)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 AM

9,365 posts, read 15,843,946 times
Don't you think that most colleges aren't on any tourist's radar?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Don't you think that most colleges aren't on any tourist's radar?
There are those colleges with nondescript campuses that I won't name out of respect for these colleges.

And there are those colleges that had some touristic assets but that, for some reason, couldn't be used or marketed properly (WUSTL, Kenyon, to name a few)

Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 AM

21,064 posts, read 15,366,366 times
They're not tourist attractions really. What you're mentioning is prestige and notoriety.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM

3,093 posts, read 2,561,591 times
It depends on your interests. A lot of these universities have beautiful architecture, nice museums and pleasant scenery. In Dublin, I went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. As a technophile, I really enjoyed the MIT museum in Cambridge. Just a few weeks ago, my family and I enjoyed a visit to the Peabody Museum at Yale. We weren't the only ones visiting either, so there is a subset of travelers that do find these universities to be worthwhile attractions.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,801,309 times
Yep. Plenty to see as a tourist, at places as diverse as the University of Pittsburgh (nationality rooms and more) and the University of Michigan (art museum and more).

Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 AM

4,952 posts, read 4,663,003 times
The Naval Academy in Annapolis gets a lot of visitors.

John Paul Jones' crypt is my favorite place on the campus.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM

What I do know about WUSTL's touristic value was the ridiculous amount of tree species on campus (3,800+ last I checked) so a fan of botanic gardens (and arboreta in particular) will be satisfied.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 AM

72,937 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Perhaps there are some people who are ordinary tourists that would visit colleges as they otherwise would any other touristic sight.

I knew that Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, UVA, Berkeley, UCLA, W&M (stateside) and Oxford, Cambridge, Bologna, Salamanca, Sorbonne, Coimbra, Trinity College Dublin (in Europe) were known as being touristic attractions in their own right.

But are there other colleges that are touristically overshadowed by their cities (like Columbia) or just not on a touristic radar (like WUSTL, Kenyon)?
The University of Washington in Seattle gets busloads of Japanese tourists in the spring, when the cherry blossoms are in bloom on the main quadrangle on campus, which is lined with cherry trees. The University of California at Berkeley gets a lot of tourists year-round.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,707,073 times
I don't know that I have ever planned a trip outside of college visit trips with the kids, to go specifically to a tour college, but when are on vacation and there is a worthwhile campus to visit, we often do. We were in Boston, for example, and went to Harvard (event on campus that we were there for actually) but also went by BC and walked around the MIT campus. When we were in DC we walked around Georgetown and past GW University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities