Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM

18 posts, read 23,958 times

Advertisements

I believe it ultimately doesn't matter. These days you can major in anything if you want to find a good job. In fact, these days the college degree is equivalent to the high school diploma of the 1960s. You need a university degree for just about any job.

I know for a fact that it is a myth that people majoring in the liberal arts are somehow less employable than people majoring in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). STEM majors tend to specialize in a field that is too specific. These people study something that only leads to a very specific career. For example, if you studied computer engineering in school, then the only jobs you can do are computer engineering jobs. If you get laid off from that job, then the only other jobs you can do are low-paying service sector jobs such as being in a cashier or waiter.

On the other hand, if you majored in the liberal arts (a major along the lines of psychology, sociology, anthropology, geography, history, music, English, and etc) there are plenty of different careers you can do after college. These careers actually require a college degree such as being a doctor and lawyer (if you choose to go to graduate school), teacher, police officer, counselor or psychologist. Liberal arts majors teach you how to critically think, analyze information and write fluently and coherently.

As you can tell from my writing style, I major in the liberal arts. I am pursing a BA in Psychology. I love studying psychology. While my grades are not the best, I do pass my courses. For my college, you need to have an average of B- (or 70% out of 100%) or higher to receive the degree. I want to get an average of at least a 70% or higher, and get my degree.

I still need to study for another year or two before I complete my degree. Despite this, I don't know what I want to do yet. But it doesn't matter because I will end up having a decent career. I believe I am able to become a writer of some sort. I want to have some sort of office job writing documents because I am very good at writing (and typing). That's all I want to do.

I love studying psychology. Even though psychology might not lead to a very high-paying career, I like helping other people. That's why I majored in psychology. I like learning new things everyday. I think I should spend more time in the library because I want to acquire more knowledge. I don't want to learn more nonsense from the Internet because learning nonsense just makes you into a malicious person. I believe it is better to be ignorant than to be misinformed because being misinformed can turn you into a malicious person. On the other hand, being ignorant means you will not be able to do any malice.

That's all I have to say. Thank you very much for reading this. And I look forward to your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:16 AM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You are entitled to your beliefs, but I personally think that is DOES matter what your major is.... especially if you are looking for a great career and not just a "good job" (which is what you are striving for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNerdBot View Post
I know for a fact that it is a myth that people majoring in the liberal arts are somehow less employable than people majoring in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
And the source for that 'fact' would be...?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
For example, if you studied computer engineering in school, then the only jobs you can do are computer engineering jobs. If you get laid off from that job, then the only other jobs you can do are low-paying service sector jobs such as being in a cashier or waiter.

As you can tell from my writing style, I major in the liberal arts.

I can tell that you don't know much about engineering.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The real world is quite different then the Utopian view seen on college campuses.

No, that liberal arts degree will not get you any job you want.

I'm very good at typing too but that doesn't mean I can get any job I want.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I agree that a high school diploma will not get you very far in today's business world.
Many white collar employers are looking for at least a bachelors degree which many folks have. Focus is a good thing for certain jobs but for many it is Okay to have a liberal arts degree, English, History etc... it proves that you can put your nose to the grind stone and complete duties.
In any job interview Personality goes a long way and who you know certainly doesn't hurt.

If I were hiring I would rather have an eager go getter with personality to spare who doesn't have a degree than a highly educated stiff shirt.

Education matters and focus on a certain degree is important. Would you want your electrician doing your plumbing or a History teacher doing your accounting?

Earning a college degree gives you a step up and will get you in the door but personality and ambition will get you further.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It very much depends on what you plan to do professionally. Some careers draw from a number of academic disciplines, others require a more singular focus.

I'm sure you are aware that a four-year degree in psychology is typically insufficient for gaining certification credentials that will allow you entry to the field in most career-track positions. A master's degree will be necessary for pursuing relevant licensure. That's assuming you plan to work in the field. The type of "helping" jobs open to you with only a bachelor's in psych are quite limited.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It very much depends on what you plan to do professionally. Some careers draw from a number of academic disciplines, others require a more singular focus.

I'm sure you are aware that a four-year degree in psychology is typically insufficient for gaining certification credentials that will allow you entry to the field in most career-track positions. A master's degree will be necessary for pursuing relevant licensure. That's assuming you plan to work in the field. The type of "helping" jobs open to you with only a bachelor's in psych are quite limited.
I don't think the OP plans to pursue a career in that field.

From their post :

"I want to have some sort of office job writing documents because I am very good at writing (and typing). That's all I want to do. "

Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yep... which means she will be competing for writing jobs with those who chose technical writing, journalism, and other more pertinent degrees.

OP, a year ago you wanted to be a teacher. What changed?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Hi Amanda,

If you are still reading this thread, I wanted to tell you I think you should talk to a career counselor at your school. It sounds to me like you might have particular challenges that many other people may not have to face, and I think a real person, like a career counselor, will be able to talk with you and help you figure out how to best overcome those challenges in the real world and have a successful career. I don't think those of us on the internet will be able to help you as well as a real person, and I'm afraid some people here may be mean. Please ignore them. You are a very good writer and typist and I wish you well.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
I believe it ultimately doesn't matter. These days you can major in anything if you want to find a good job. In fact, these days the college degree is equivalent to the high school diploma of the 1960s. You need a university degree for just about any job.

I know for a fact that it is a myth that people majoring in the liberal arts are somehow less employable than people majoring in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). STEM majors tend to specialize in a field that is too specific. These people study something that only leads to a very specific career. For example, if you studied computer engineering in school, then the only jobs you can do are computer engineering jobs. If you get laid off from that job, then the only other jobs you can do are low-paying service sector jobs such as being in a cashier or waiter.

On the other hand, if you majored in the liberal arts (a major along the lines of psychology, sociology, anthropology, geography, history, music, English, and etc) there are plenty of different careers you can do after college. These careers actually require a college degree such as being a doctor and lawyer (if you choose to go to graduate school), teacher, police officer, counselor or psychologist. Liberal arts majors teach you how to critically think, analyze information and write fluently and coherently.

As you can tell from my writing style, I major in the liberal arts. I am pursing a BA in Psychology. I love studying psychology. While my grades are not the best, I do pass my courses. For my college, you need to have an average of B- (or 70% out of 100%) or higher to receive the degree. I want to get an average of at least a 70% or higher, and get my degree.

I still need to study for another year or two before I complete my degree. Despite this, I don't know what I want to do yet. But it doesn't matter because I will end up having a decent career. I believe I am able to become a writer of some sort. I want to have some sort of office job writing documents because I am very good at writing (and typing). That's all I want to do.

I love studying psychology. Even though psychology might not lead to a very high-paying career, I like helping other people. That's why I majored in psychology. I like learning new things everyday. I think I should spend more time in the library because I want to acquire more knowledge. I don't want to learn more nonsense from the Internet because learning nonsense just makes you into a malicious person. I believe it is better to be ignorant than to be misinformed because being misinformed can turn you into a malicious person. On the other hand, being ignorant means you will not be able to do any malice.

That's all I have to say. Thank you very much for reading this. And I look forward to your replies.
Hopefully, the OP isn't serious. The folks I hire have to have a BS, or higher, in Computer Science.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 06-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities