Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,080,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, human services of various types do tend to be a common vocational outcome of studying social sciences. Many of us chose social sciences largely because working with people is our preference.

Social sciences are by definition focused on society and individuals' relationships within society. Not being interested in people/in working with them would be a big thing that would preclude a person choosing this course of study.
Thanks for the reply.
When I attempted community college classes after high school, the counselors then, and even now suggested shying away from STEM heavy things and some thing in the soft science category.
None of them suggested any particular trades surprisingly and never took my social misgivings into account.
No use in focusing time and money on a degree where the job prospects are doomed to job hopping and back to completely broke.

I'm willing to give it another shot from the bottom again and this time, utilize as many different tutoring and study aides as possible.
I mention it ad nauseum, but the solitude thing of trucking was kind of a lie among other flaws with this field.

Time ease up out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
What is your goal in getting whatever degree you choose?

Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,080,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What is your goal in getting whatever degree you choose?
An eight hour, indoors position where I'm doing something without being micromanaged.
After 10 years, off and on, of driving trucks in various capacities, there's really no good job to be found in this field.

That and I'm too much of a softie to really hang with this crowd any longer.
So any degree or certificate in fixing or designing something, and brings in between at least $30,000-$40,000/year is good with me.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
Yep, sounds like some sort of trade certification may be more up your alley than something in humanities or social sciences.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,674,684 times
I've been a contract research economist in the public and private sectors for almost 40 years. I have a BA and MA in History, an MS in agricultural economics and Ph.D in environmental and resource economics. I am retiring this year at 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities