Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,386 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am 23 years old, have switched majors 4 times at community college and am now in a computer networking major. Though I don't absolutely hate it, it is not what my heart wants.

I want to be a physical therapist. I have an excess credit fee where I'm paying a ton of money for community college, and am not sure if I should finish the associates degree for computer networking and then starting fresh towards the path of a physical therapist, which would be 9 classes left to finisht the networking degree and probably another 5000 dollars.. Or if I should take one more class and get a general studies associates and have my excess credit fee reset to where I'm paying manageable payments, and start down the road of physical therapy.

Is the thought of becoming a physical therapist far fetched at this point? I feel like I am getting too old to entertain the thought and I am really bumming myself out over all the time and money wasted bouncing around majors at a freakin community college!! Not even a bachelors degree. I am becoming more depressed with each passing day about what my future looks like...any advice for a guy who messed around too much as a new college student and is now regretting it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Are you willing to buckle down and do all that needs to be done to become a PT?

Physical Therapist (PT) Education Overview

Looks like a bachelor degree plus three more years.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:01 AM

I absolutely am, at this point in my life I know am ready to do everything it takes to succeed in something my heart wants, I did not know what I even wanted from 18-22. The only parts I am apprehensive about is well you know, finances, working a full time job while starting this path to a PT, starting this path from basically scratch, and probably having to live with the parents a lot longer than I would have wanted to. I'm just not sure what the smartest way to go about it would be..

Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
This is a no-brainer...take the one class and get a general studies associates and move on the PT path if that is what you want to do. There is very little value in an associates in "computer networking".

Don't waste the time or money to finish the networking degree if it isn't what you want to do afterwards. The general studies AA that you already have the credits for will serve you just as well and allow you to use that time and money on the PT program. You know you'll need a Doctors of Physical Therapy which is a lot of school from where you are currently at?

Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Yes I realize that a becoming a PT requires a bachelors degree +3 years of a physical therapy program, and it sounds very terrifying....but I know I could do it..I Just hope I have not waited too long to start this path

Old 06-14-2015, 01:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
What are your reasons for wanting to become a PT?

Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM

I have worked in a group home for handicapped individuals for the past 5 years to pay for the classes I have taken (Which all seem lik a waste of money at this point because of my indecisiveness) and I've worked with a lot of people with physical disabilities, and the therapy they recieve seems so fulfilling to do. I want to be able to help people, I want to have a satisfying and fulfilling job that makes a difference and improves people's lives. Computers does nothing for me in that aspect, it seems so superficial and the it field isn't always a stable career as things are constantly changing. The job security and pay for PTs also sound enticing but mostly a bonus. Being able to help people who truly need help to better their lives is something I could see myself doing long term. I've also thought about PA or some type of doctor but blood and other bodily fluids do not sit well with me lol

Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
If you want to be a physical therapist, it requires a bachelor's degree and a graduate degree, a doctorate or masters in physical therapy.

You don't need an associates degree and you aren't required to major in any specific subject. Per APTA (American Physical Therapy Association), you should pick any major but just make sure you take a class in anatomy, physiology, chemistry, physics and psychology, as electives or part of your required classes.

Whether you want to get loans and go full-time, it's up to you and whether you believe in yourself and that you will work hard to get good grades and try to get any many physical therapy-related jobs or volunteer opportunities you can. I wouldn't spent anymore time at community college than you need to transfer. I'd pick a major with some flexibility (i.e. not a lot of required classes) and a backup choice in terms of career, so you can do something else if you change your mind again.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
You've gotten good advice about how to do this, but I just wanted to comment on this part of your post:
Quote:
I feel like I am getting too old to entertain the thought
You're 23. You're practically a child. I know you probably have friends who are already on their careers, having gotten a bachelor's degree a year or two ago, but believe me when I say you are certainly not too old to embark on this career. You have your whole life ahead of you, fate willing, and will have time for more than one career, if you choose. Follow your vision. Just make sure to get all the information you need to make solid choices as you consider which classes to take and where to take them so you don't find yourself feeling thrown off or confused in another year or two.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
The time you've spent working with the handicapped has not been a waste though, because you know the realities of that type of work. I'm an RN, and you wouldn't believe the number of unexperienced people who go all through the nursing or PT education and then discover that they don't like it when they start working. So I say go for it! There are many opportunities in the field.

Find out what all the pre requisites are for admission to the PT program, and be sure to take them ALL while getting your BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities