U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM

560 posts, read 1,866,543 times
Question How hard is the GMAT?

I am an EE applying to NC State to obtain my MBA and was curious as to how difficult everyone thought the GMAT was?

If you took it, what was your undergrad major and how well did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 107,768 times
Go the b-school forums on businessweek.com

Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 127,866 times
I thought you had to take your GRE to get into grad school for business. GMAT is for medical isn't it?

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,500,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADreamComeTrue View Post
I thought you had to take your GRE to get into grad school for business. GMAT is for medical isn't it?
One of my friends just started an MBA program and took the GMAT, so I don't think it's specified toward med students.

My friend who took it had to take it twice. She didn't get the score she desired at first, but her scores from the second test got her into her MBA program. I'll give her a ring later on and ask for specifics. Oh, by the way, she has a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,742,608 times
MCAT is Medical
GMAT is Business
GRE is for other grad programs like teaching, art, history, etc

Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM

268 posts, read 794,126 times
Everyone is different. What may seem hard to one person may seem easy to another. I took the GMAT and did well enough to get into an okay MBA program, but not well enough to get into a top MBA program like Harvard or Stanford....or that could have just been because of my undergrad GPA. who knows? I do know this however, the GMAT is taken on a computer instead of the old fashioned pencil and paper method. The new structure also has an added analytical writing section. For me, the pencil and paper method is easier because that's how most tests in school are taken, and you learn to develop certain test-taking skills. It's very different on a computer. I actually took it twice...once the old fashioned way with pencil and paper and the second a few years later with the new structure on computer. My score dropped the second time. Luckily, my first score was still good enough to get into some decent programs. Check out this link; it has some sample GMAT questions. GMAT Format- Test Structure

You can judge for yourself how easy or hard it is. Also, to get into a decent MBA program, you'll probably want to aim for a score of 630 or better.

Last edited by alterego; 01-23-2008 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: grammar and spelling

Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 4,271,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
MCAT is Medical
GMAT is Business
GRE is for other grad programs like teaching, art, history, etc
and LSAT is Law schools.

I'm also interested in GMAT testing, etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,139,494 times
For the EE major - as long as you have some abilities outside EE (language, writing, etc...) you'll do fine. Also, you neeed to be a good test taker.

I was a Microbiology major in undergrad. I took the GRE, when I thought I was going to pursue a science grad degree, then 2 years later took the GMAT when I decided to go MBA.

GMAT was not difficult. However, if you were one of the "I'm an engineer/scientist - I don't need to know how to write, or have a vocabulary" - you'll need to brush up on that.

Analytical section should be easy enough for you. Get the old test booklets and take a few practice tests.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 PM

115 posts, read 518,294 times
I was an IE (ex-EE but hated EE) in college and did fairly well gradewise (around the average or a bit lower (but then again it's engineering) for the top mba programs).

I found the test fairly easy but that's perhaps why I did very well on the test.

If you did well on other standardized tests like the SAT, ACT, you should be able to also do well. Also as an engineer, the analytical part shouldn't be hard. Don't worry about the writing section (AWA), no one really cares about it.

You can also take practice tests to gauge how you'd do. (the official ones would give the most accurate estimates). Guess what, the ones by Kaplan or other testing services have lower scores because if your scores are low, then you're more inclined to use their services.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM

560 posts, read 1,866,543 times
Thanks everyone! I'll try to remember to come back and let y'all know how I did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities