Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad I went to college. I don't see how I'd have a career with out it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:42 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
I'm definitely not sorry. I believe that education still offers the best opportunities for upward socio-economic mobility. However, climbing that ladder requires certain choices.

We're also going to push our kids to, at a minimum, earn a bachelor's.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I wouldn't have my career without it, nor would I be able to pursue my master's without it.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:14 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
People with degrees are having just as much of a terrible time making ends meet as those w/o. It took me 11 years to get my B.S. and I vow no more school for me!!! I still don't understand why we encourage and push education onto our children only to earn a degree and still find oneself w/o. My sister has 3 degrees and can't get a job in Human Resources because she lacks the experience. Which brings me to my next question, how is one to gain the experience if no one will give them the chance?
I am definitely NOT sorry. I would not be where I am today without it.

You took 11 YEARS?

As far as experience, did she (or you) not join clubs to gain leadership experience, have internships, or network while in college?

I have 2 children who have recently (as in the past few years) graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in their respective majors. Both, while in college, joined groups, clubs, and associations geared towards their interests and degrees. They both also had internships/coops while in college. These all combined for valuable experience (AND CONNECTIONS), which they could list on their resumes AS EXPERIENCE.

Both were hired before they graduated.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

You took 11 YEARS?

As far as experience, did she (or you) not join clubs to gain leadership experience, have internships, or network while in college?

I have 2 children who have recently (as in the past few years) graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in their respective majors. Both, while in college, joined groups, clubs, and associations geared towards their interests and degrees. They both also had internships/coops while in college. These all combined for valuable experience (AND CONNECTIONS), which they could list on their resumes AS EXPERIENCE.

Many people go to school, quit, return to school, quit, return, etc. for a variety of reasons. Many attend part-time while working...Life events/work/health issues often crop up that interfere with 'normal' college attendance. Many people obtain degrees later in life as well.

Regardless of how long it took to obtain the degree -- He/she obtained it.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I would hope that somewhere over the course of eleven years spent in a university setting, one would have availed one's self of career services, professional networking opportunities, volunteer and internship opportunities, and other sorts of benefits that prepare one for the work force, though. If you can't swing it at any point in over a decade to do any of that, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM

169 posts, read 154,655 times
Thumbs up Are you sorry you went to college?

Quote:

You took 11 YEARS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would hope that somewhere over the course of eleven years spent in a university setting, one would have availed one's self of career services, professional networking opportunities, volunteer and internship opportunities, and other sorts of benefits that prepare one for the work force, though. If you can't swing it at any point in over a decade to do any of that, I don't know what to tell you.
My life is backwards. I did everything backward which is the reason it took me so long to finish my degree but I took a few breaks due to health and I made a transition in the companies for which I worked. I should have graduated from high school in '88 but didn't until '97 (4 children later). I began my college courses in '04 while working full time and took no more than 2 courses a session. I was making 60K before I started my journey to my degree. I've always worked to support mine and my husband did the same up until he was classified disabled. His CDL was yanked away from him and there went his dreams to own his own dump truck. I knew that I would not retire from my current position but I am undecided about whether or not I'd like to go into management. I have a 7 year old set of twins and a lot of time and responsibility comes with management. I don't want a job requiring me to spend 16 hours a day at work on a salary. I need to spend time with my family and a lot of employers don't respect that.

I'm glad that most reap the benefits of having their degrees but there are so many that don't which is plenty sad. One thing that I do know for sure is that I will NEVER give up!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
I'm very happy I got my BA. Working in education pays more than the minimum wage and work conditions are better. Starting grad school this fall. I love academia.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

You took 11 YEARS?

Or they could use these as letters of recommendation should they apply to grad school.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or they could use these as letters of recommendation should they apply to grad school.
Yes, exactly. The point is they got involved, were active in clubs and organizations, and made connections.

They did more than simply show up for class, do the work, and take the exams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities