Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times

Advertisements

College was the best thing that ever happened to me. It took me from nothing (came from a poor as sh*t family) to being able to buy a 450k house in the Austin Metro area. Without college there is no way I could of pulled that off because having a BS/MA was a requirement after entry level postions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would hope that somewhere over the course of eleven years spent in a university setting, one would have availed one's self of career services, professional networking opportunities, volunteer and internship opportunities, and other sorts of benefits that prepare one for the work force, though. If you can't swing it at any point in over a decade to do any of that, I don't know what to tell you.
Maybe the OP doesn't excel at brown-nosing or schmoozing. Not everyone can stomach being a politician.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Using free resources and completing volunteer experiences and internships to gain career exposure and experience does not = brownnosing, schmoozing, or being a politician.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 PM

260 posts, read 428,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
People with degrees are having just as much of a terrible time making ends meet as those w/o. It took me 11 years to get my B.S. and I vow no more school for me!!! I still don't understand why we encourage and push education onto our children only to earn a degree and still find oneself w/o. My sister has 3 degrees and can't get a job in Human Resources because she lacks the experience. Which brings me to my next question, how is one to gain the experience if no one will give them the chance?
Yes and no. I graduated high school (and turned 18) right at the start of the great recession. I did quit my 1st job to focus more on college (really, really, REALLY stupid) and immediately regretted it when I couldn't get a job ANYWHERE. So I volunteered for 5 years (2 of them as an internship) and finally got a minimum wage job as a housekeeper. I was so proud. I got my Bachelor's Degree, but so far I have nothing really to show for it with experience besides my work as an intern.

Then I moved to Memphis where the search began all over again. I signed up for a volunteering position and hope those employment applications I sent forth come back in my favor!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
The present-day view of college seems to be that it is a glorified vocational school.

"Sorry I went to college", no way. I went to college in an era when being widely educated was a big part of the reason for being there. The specific professional training was actually of little value in the real world, but the fact that my education embraced many subject areas, and several in depth, meant that I could hop around in the employment field.

But just as important, it opened up so many exciting intellectual and cultural vistas that it really prepared me to enjoy life in many ways I would have otherwise never been open to I'm sure.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 PM

169 posts, read 154,692 times
Smile Are you sorry you went to college?

Quote:
I would hope that somewhere over the course of eleven years spent in a university setting, one would have availed one's self of career services, professional networking opportunities, volunteer and internship opportunities, and other sorts of benefits that prepare one for the work force, though. If you can't swing it at any point in over a decade to do any of that, I don't know what to tell you.
LOL! Not the traditional university setting. I would hope no one would spend that much time on a college campus. Unless they have a ton of money and can afford to do so but certainly not I.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM

169 posts, read 154,692 times
Default Are you sorry you went to college?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Yes and no. I graduated high school (and turned 18) right at the start of the great recession. I did quit my 1st job to focus more on college (really, really, REALLY stupid) and immediately regretted it when I couldn't get a job ANYWHERE. So I volunteered for 5 years (2 of them as an internship) and finally got a minimum wage job as a housekeeper. I was so proud. I got my Bachelor's Degree, but so far I have nothing really to show for it with experience besides my work as an intern.

Then I moved to Memphis where the search began all over again. I signed up for a volunteering position and hope those employment applications I sent forth come back in my favor!
Never give up, that's all that matters. It WILL pay off.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
LOL! Not the traditional university setting. I would hope no one would spend that much time on a college campus. Unless they have a ton of money and can afford to do so but certainly not I.
Or unless they wanted a college education. It takes a significant investment of time on campus in order to obtain a college education. It's also not as expensive as you might think.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Default Am I Sorry I Went to College?

Absolutely not! College opened doors to other advanced, higher education. I became essentially cross-trained, which allowed me a great variety in my work.

College also introduced me to students of other races, faiths and countries. College opened my mind so I could assess information and make the right decisions for me.

College isn't for everyone, but mine gave me fundamentals I still use now

MSR

Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
College wasnt encouraged much for girls back in the early 60s, seems it was more boys who wanted or needed a career.. I wanted to go to Art College but my family thought it was silly for a girl.. so I ended up like a lot of girls in a factory, shame on them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities