Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM

17 posts, read 15,699 times

Advertisements

I can't go full time because of work. Anything I do has to be part time which is the problem. The full time programs don't require experience I've found, only the part time ones do for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,476,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider96 View Post
I can't go full time because of work. Anything I do has to be part time which is the problem. The full time programs don't require experience I've found, only the part time ones do for some reason.
The full-time, "elite" programs are aimed at young people straight out of their undergrad who want to punch their ticket to Goldman Sachs. The part-time ones are aimed at working professionals like yourself, hence the experience requirement.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM

Being two years out of undergrad isn't young anymore? . I know what you mean, but it's still a pain. I'd like to do it while I have more free time now instead of later when I might actually have more important things to do

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM

653 posts, read 812,269 times
Cant believe im going to agree with NJBest, but they have a point. Wait and do it right. Dont get a mediocre education

Old 08-16-2015, 11:57 AM

396 posts, read 407,030 times
If you are serious about this I would really recommend finance.

My roommate from college ended up pursuing that route and it is incredible what even middling finance degrees will get you.

I am much older than you, and even I am considering going back to school to get a Master's in a new field. If it matters enough to you, you will make it work.

Take the GMAT, get a good score, and go to a decent school (particularly one where you can build legitimate connections). You will achieve far more than you ever could from an online program. This includes plenty of state schools, for the record. Michigan, UT-Austin, Berkeley, etc. all have extremely prestigious programs. Look into those and others rather than Backyard University.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:16 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,476,254 times
Quote:
Being two years out of undergrad isn't young anymore? . I know what you mean, but it's still a pain. I'd like to do it while I have more free time now instead of later when I might actually have more important things to do
I just meant it's a different track. Undergrad, straight to an elite MBA program and then off to a big consulting firm/investment bank. A couple years out of undergrad is indeed young. Poor choice of words.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
If you are serious about this I would really recommend finance.

My roommate from college ended up pursuing that route and it is incredible what even middling finance degrees will get you.

I am much older than you, and even I am considering going back to school to get a Master's in a new field. If it matters enough to you, you will make it work.

Take the GMAT, get a good score, and go to a decent school (particularly one where you can build legitimate connections). You will achieve far more than you ever could from an online program. This includes plenty of state schools, for the record. Michigan, UT-Austin, Berkeley, etc. all have extremely prestigious programs. Look into those and others rather than Backyard University.
Those I would have to do online though. It would still look good to get an online MBA from those places?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 PM

396 posts, read 407,030 times
Quote:
Those I would have to do online though. It would still look good to get an online MBA from those places?
Those that offer it, absolutely.

The phenomenon boils down to a simple truth, those programs are not necessarily superior in their academic content, it is their name that catches attention. The name will be there online or not.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Those that offer it, absolutely.

The phenomenon boils down to a simple truth, those programs are not necessarily superior in their academic content, it is their name that catches attention. The name will be there online or not.
Well the only reason I ask is because you said "You will achieve far more than you ever could from an online program." so I wasn't sure if it still counted but I'll take a look into them again

Old 08-18-2015, 04:29 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,174,960 times
Quote:
So I can't respond to all the posts but I'll make a general post. I'm working in a Fortune 500 company as entry level. I'm hoping to eventually move up. Not necessarily to president or anything but maybe a director or manager at some point down the line. The online colleges I have been looking into are very real like Carnegie Mellon so I'm not going to do like a Capella or something. I also want the degree for flexibility so if I need to move around from an engineering position to something else, I'll have the masters as my backing. Right now,I have a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in MIS from a state school. My main fear of waiting out the three years is that by that point I'll be a lot busier and won't have the time or get the needed approval to do it.
State school online programs are a great option; however, they are very expensive and require a great deal of effort to complete. Coordination with team members is critical. If your team is irresponsive, it will be hell because you'll often be involved in simulations where your grade is dependent on your performance relative to other classmates.

As for price though, if that's no option and you can do well enough on the GMAT, Duke has a great online MBA program if you are willing to throw down $100,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities