Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:33 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider96 View Post
Carnegie Mellon would be the online MBA. It's the one I've seen so far that I'm most interested in. That would require me moving back in with my parents to afford the tuition for a few years. I can do that, don't really want to, but it is an option. It's 120k for that degree, at least that's what the MBA admissions office told me.
That's crazy. Don't go to Carnegie Mellon if it forces you to move back in with your parents. You can go attend ASU's MBA program, a top 30 MBA program, for half as much. However, ASU doesn't have a concentration in MIS, but it does have a concentration in Supply Chain Management, rated #3 in the country, if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:45 AM

128 posts, read 174,050 times
How to get an MBA education for less than $1,000 - Fortune

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
State school online programs are a great option; however, they are very expensive and require a great deal of effort to complete. Coordination with team members is critical. If your team is irresponsive, it will be hell because you'll often be involved in simulations where your grade is dependent on your performance relative to other classmates.

As for price though, if that's no option and you can do well enough on the GMAT, Duke has a great online MBA program if you are willing to throw down $100,000.
My eye started twitching when I read "coordination with team members." Ah memories. Nothing like re-writing a 20 page case study that is due the next day.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 15,789 times
Quote:
State school online programs are a great option; however, they are very expensive and require a great deal of effort to complete. Coordination with team members is critical. If your team is irresponsive, it will be hell because you'll often be involved in simulations where your grade is dependent on your performance relative to other classmates.

As for price though, if that's no option and you can do well enough on the GMAT, Duke has a great online MBA program if you are willing to throw down $100,000.
That's the biggest factor for in person for me. However, I have had groups in undergrad where I have had communication issues and that was all in person. So I'd think it'd happen regardless of online or in person, just the likelihood I suppose

Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That's crazy. Don't go to Carnegie Mellon if it forces you to move back in with your parents. You can go attend ASU's MBA program, a top 30 MBA program, for half as much. However, ASU doesn't have a concentration in MIS, but it does have a concentration in Supply Chain Management, rated #3 in the country, if you're interested.
I'll take a look into that tomorrow

Old 08-29-2015, 12:27 AM

425 posts, read 647,230 times
Man this thread has some advice all over the place. I have an MBA (went FT years ago, top 20 school) and work at a F500 where we see lots of people get MBA's from a variety of schools. The first thing I would say is you get 1 shot to do this so think hard about what type of school you want, what your long term goals are, what kind of person you truly are and finally what's a likely ROI.

I don't know what your hurry is to go back to school. Just because you have more 'free time' now is not a good reason. Most FT MBA programs have students entering at roughly age 25/26 and PT are probably a little older. The whole point of this degree is for you and your peers to bring some experience to the table and learn from one another.

An MBA from a top school going FT is an AMAZING experience. However it's expensive and means you need the drive, ambition and personality to find a job/career that makes it pay off. That is not for everyone.

It sounds like you want an MBA to check the box long term towards mgmt opportunities. I would go and look up on LinkedIn all the leaders in your organization to see what background they have. You want to be competitive down the road. If many people have the state school PT MBA, I would get that. If everyone has elite degrees then the quality of that MBA from a state school won't be as beneficial. Keep in mind lots of pt private programs are pricey because schools know companies sponsor people. Since you are f500 I would think there is some educational reimbursement.

Short answer is no hurry and don't mortgage your future if your career goals and background don't fit with the investment. However don't short change yourself either; if you have an inner drive that makes it worthwhile to invest in a better program then consider doing it.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM

I guess the real answer is. I have absolutely no idea at this point lol.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:20 AM

5 posts, read 4,815 times
what is up. I just want you guys to give me some advice on my plans. Right now, I feel that I am not satisfied with what I learned in college. and right now, I am considering MBA next on my checklist. would you advice to take MBA abroad or stay in
the country. I saw this website diversityabroad.com which gives me an idea that taking MBA abroad is challenging yet fun, in a way I can have the benefits and opportunities of having a different environment and collaborate with different people which also came from different countries. thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 06:21 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider96 View Post
I guess the real answer is. I have absolutely no idea at this point lol.
I think that being honest with yourself and knowing your real long-term goals will help to steer you in the right direction.

I earned my MBA online. I did not attend a "top program"; but it was a non-profit state university and my degree was very cheap (less than $15K in tuition). For me, that is what I wanted. I wanted an MBA, I didn't want to relocate and have to give up my job, and I wanted to spend the least amount possible. The end result is that I obtained a new position (in a different field), and earned a 20% pay increase in the process. I do not make six figures...not even close. But prior to my MBA I didn't have the resume clout needed to propel my career. Now I do. And that's really all that I wanted.

I think that many of the people here who give disparaging remarks about online MBAs are a bit out of the loop in regards to the current academic climate of higher education. When I first started applying to MBA programs back in 2009, there weren't a lot of top business schools that had online MBA cohorts. The online MBAs that were advertised heavily weren't that good. But there have always been bona-fide, solid online MBA programs out there. Today, top business schools like UNC, Carnegie Mellon, Syracuse, etc., all offer online MBAs. Today, online MBAs have their own U.S. News rankings. So the argument about a lack of legitimacy is not holding water anymore.

The last frontier with online MBAs is their acceptance in the corporate world and especially with HR departments. However, if you are staying at the same company pre & post-MBA, you have a bit more security. However from what I've seen and heard, online MBA degrees do not say anywhere on them or on your transcript that they were earned online. Now I guess if you are living and working in NY and you get your MBA from a school in CA, that pretty much infers that you earned the degree online. However if the online MBA program is closer to your home, how would a hiring manager even know?

(I have a survey online where I'm trying to get a more accurate picture of how people feel about this issue. If you have an MBA or are considering getting one, please participate -- I would greatly appreciate it!)

And finally there is a definite shift in corporate culture beyond the idea that in order to be effective, someone must be physically in a particular place. I've had 3 different employers since I began my online MBA program. In each case I've seen these employers open themselves up to remote office and telecommuting opportunities for future and current employees. The one company even started a program where all of the employees in our department could work from home one day a week (previously, this perk was only for managers). So if employers are beginning to realize that they can have an effective, productive workforce online, then they aren't going to think twice about someone who earned their MBA online vs. on-campus. We are not completely there yet, but we are definitely moving in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities