Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

It's not just the degree, but what you do with it, and whether you have talent in that area. I know many people with art degrees, because I used to hire art students when I had a graphics/sign/engraving business for 16 years. Of those I have kept in contact with, one is a very successful self employed graphic artist, recently bought a house in an expensive area.
She does commercial branding work mostly, but also sells her studio art online. Another is the manager now at a shirt screenprinting shop. One that was probably the most talented artist ended up as a bartender. I also know an art history major that is making well over 6 figures in commercial real estate after working up from an entry level clerical job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,114,715 times
Dentistry....seriously. Art majors, especially those working in ceramics and pottery are good candidates.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Before I continue brainstorming, OP--are you interested in getting a job/career in your field? Or is your question more about how useful your degree is in general?
Based on other posts, I don't think the OP even HAS a degree.
Job scenerio

Can you buy a new car with cash if you have no job.

Need tips for working for AT&T?

Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM

325 posts, read 255,332 times
If you graduate from, let's say Yale, with a history degree and a good GPA, you will have no problem getting an excellent job, and almost certain admittance into a very strong graduate program (namely Law or Business School) in short order.

If you go to a mediocre or bad school, and do not have good grades, your major becomes nearly irrelevant - you are simply in that other category of college graduates that don't matter as much to the job market.

People focus far, far too much on degree selection when, in fact, most of your concern should have been on your GPA and the quality of your school. These are far more important factors if you are serious about a career. If you are in college just to guzzle beer and cheer on your football team (at the expense of your grades), your major is irrelevant, and your opportunity is somewhat wasted (but for the fun memories).

Old 08-05-2015, 02:21 PM

394 posts, read 434,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
If you graduate from, let's say Yale, with a history degree and a good GPA, you will have no problem getting an excellent job, and almost certain admittance into a very strong graduate program (namely Law or Business School) in short order.

If you go to a mediocre or bad school, and do not have good grades, your major becomes nearly irrelevant - you are simply in that other category of college graduates that don't matter as much to the job market.

People focus far, far too much on degree selection when, in fact, most of your concern should have been on your GPA and the quality of your school. These are far more important factors if you are serious about a career. If you are in college just to guzzle beer and cheer on your football team (at the expense of your grades), your major is irrelevant, and your opportunity is somewhat wasted (but for the fun memories).
truth

Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post

Correct, I never understood people who choose colleges based on the "parties". I mean what in the hell? Can't they go party with local people at major clubs, bars, nightclubs, etc. ALL across the country like everybody else does? If you are sociable and know how to meet people, you don't need to have a college fraternity in order to party. Plus you have access to go to whatever college game, sporting events, or whatever the hell else you want to go to just like EVERYBODY else does.

Same with networking, I don't understand people who have to go to a particular college for "networking". Can't you meet up with professionals on LinkedIn, Chambers of Commerce, various Business trade shows, Industry Associations, etc.? If you are sociable and know how to meet people, you don't need college in order to build a professional network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities