Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 AM

394 posts, read 435,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
To get your MRS the actual degree don't matter. It's the sorority that does, making sure it's connected to the most popular fraternities of the Pre-Med, School of Business, and Pre-Law crowd. It all starts with being someone's "little sister".

It amused me when I saw this post. This is one part of college that hasn't changed much from when I attended college and when my kids did. The fact that this was even mentioned will rankle many and of course will be denied. However, THIS group still exists and flourishes.

Problem is, the MRS isn't over-rated.
Lol

I posted this as a joke

To be honest, I went to a top private, target school and was in the Business school... I also placed in a top fraternity for my undergrad years

I just always found it HILARIOUS when I would meet girls SUPER dolled up and talking to me outside class, but they were usually late/behind in class... The fraternity parties/mixers/formals were fun, it was just HILARIOUS b/c I would never actually take her seriously. I mean probably about 75-80% of those girls i met weren't even there for a real degree lol

I went to Southern 'Misses' University btw lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I guess it depends on where you go. Being in the south makes a big difference.

I went to a liberal, crunchy granola private college pretty darned far north, where being "dolled up" meant you wore socks under your Birkenstocks and your less dilapidated pajama pants, and possibly pulled your dreadlocks into a ponytail. Possibly contacts instead of glasses, but not likely.

Not so much the MRS degree kind of place. More the Women's Studies and comparative religions kind of place.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
Lol

I posted this as a joke

To be honest, I went to a top private, target school and was in the Business school... I also placed in a top fraternity for my undergrad years

I just always found it HILARIOUS when I would meet girls SUPER dolled up and talking to me outside class, but they were usually late/behind in class... The fraternity parties/mixers/formals were fun, it was just HILARIOUS b/c I would never actually take her seriously. I mean probably about 75-80% of those girls i met weren't even there for a real degree lol

I went to Southern 'Misses' University btw lol
I found these valley girl types just as amusing as you did as did my kids. My son played on the football team and they had their own special Cathy Cheerleader bunch still acting like they were in high school.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:03 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I went to a liberal, crunchy granola private college pretty darned far north, where being "dolled up" meant you wore socks under your Birkenstocks and your less dilapidated pajama pants, and possibly pulled your dreadlocks into a ponytail. Possibly contacts instead of glasses, but not likely.

Not so much the MRS degree kind of place. More the Women's Studies and comparative religions kind of place.
My oldest daughter made the same non-fashion statement attending class as you did as did most of her girl friends. She said you could always tell the serious sorority sisters and freshman since they were the only ones dressing to the nine complete with 2 hours of makeup work in front of a mirror. By sophomore year most of the female students took as much time getting ready for class as the guys.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
My oldest daughter made the same non-fashion statement attending class as you did as did most of her girl friends. She said you could always tell the serious sorority sisters and freshman since they were the only ones dressing to the nine complete with 2 hours of makeup work in front of a mirror. By sophomore year most of the female students took as much time getting ready for class as the guys.

Eh, that wasn't MY look, per se.

My "look" was a non-look. Jeans and hoodie, mostly. But definitely not looking to land a husband at 18-22. Overall, though, dressing to the nines was a very, very, very uncommon thing. Mostly only among foreign students of fairly conservative cultural backgrounds, if that. Even our sorority sisters (which were not a big subgroup...Greek orgs existed, but were local v. nationals, and were not hugely popular) pretty much wore jeans and sweatshirts, it was just that their sweatshirts had their Greek letters on them.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I found these valley girl types just as amusing as you did as did my kids. My son played on the football team and they had their own special Cathy Cheerleader bunch still acting like they were in high school.
the thing is

Even WITH the scholarship/aid money we all received, SMU was still FAR TOO expensive to justify an "MRS degree"

If i recall correctly, i was(and still am) cool with the brothers, and dues PER YEAR alone were an additional $2,000+

So if you're only going for an "MRS degree" there it really isn't smart b/c if you don't place with a good/top sorority and/or get married, you LOSE ALOT of money

It's simple economics, I would highly recommend all those girls to not put THAT MUCH effort into just getting an MRS degree.. For me, i noticed it was VERY OBVIOUS that that was all she was there for when I would get approached/talked to

But the thing is, and I may or may not get bashed for this but whatever, a woman's value will "generally" depreciate as she ages(unless she has some high paying job/degree/profession/education) because a woman's value is more dependent on her beauty. It's the truth.

For us guys, and we would joke about it back then too honestly lol, our value appreciates with success, status, and just as long as we take care of ourselves and carry ourselves well. Our school pedigree definately helped with that, but then again we were more concerned in being successful first. So when we met a girl who was obviously only looking for a husband it was just a shame.... but then again they were all extremely GORGEOUS

Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I had/have met a few girls from the NE region who actually DO fit the MRS mold, but it's not as prevalent/obvious as some of the girls in the South

Old 08-12-2015, 02:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Mrs. Degrees?
A degree is degree.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Mrs. Degrees?
A degree is degree.
It's a joke

"MRS degree" is for when a woman goes to college for the sole purpose to get married and to change from Ms. to Mrs.

lol

Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Mrs. Degrees?
A degree is degree.
"MRS degree," in the early years of post-secondary schooling being mainstream for women, was prominently used to describe the goals of women who went to college not to prepare for a career track, but to meet a man to marry who would then be the primary/only career person in the family. The degree wasn't the focal point, so much as the fact that the intent in going to school was not to get a degree (whatever degree), so much as to snag an educated man to support you.

I find it doesn't really apply significantly anymore, except perhaps in very conservative religious schools, like a particular strain of Bible colleges where women are basically given the option of studying things like "family sciences" or religious ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities