Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 849 times

Advertisements

I feel I honestly made a huge mistake. Not sure what to do now. I am full of regret for not picking econ first off and going to a better school.

I wen't to a nicer private school for a semester doing bus. manag. failed accounting and got C's in the other classes. Got put on academic probation so got nervous that I would not graduate and left to a super easy state school doing an easy major Communications which I have all A's and B's in. Right now I am on track to graduate with a communications major in 2 semesters and my economic minor in 2 semesters and half a summer session (6 weeks). At the time I ran my own business and was netting on average 5-10k a month and honestly thought I would never have to work a traditional job. Did not really care about my degree. Since this march my business has pretty much completly died and is making practically no money (venue went out of business other venues are not working very good), I no longer even enjoy the industry (nightlife). I am surviving off a small very part time side business I have that makes me just 1000-1500 a month not enough to live on with help from parents. If I had known my business of 4 years was going to fail and the reality that I don't really have the capital to start other big businesses I would of done a better major/better school to be employable. I feel I have learned 0 of use in this degree but really just care about the piece of paper getting me in the door. Full of regret right now!

Here is the huge problem!! I am looking at jobs in the field I have some experience (real estate) and they all say Business, economics or finance degree required other then commision only jobs. I thought by doing communications I could get any job other then super specific jobs like engineering etc. but it appears I was wrong. Is this true? When they say these requirements can I get around them easily with experience or not really? Will an econ minor do anything to help this?

My options...

Part of me want's to just drop out. This is a commuter school. Kind of depressing. But I will finish.

I could stay the second half of summer and 1 semester more turn minor into economics second major. Thing is I am already 23. Took some time off and went to community college. I am thinking just suck it up and do it though, my parants will pay for it 100%. If i go to try a masters I may fail as I am bad with higher level math and would have to pay for a masters myself. (my school's econ department is super easy no math other then 1 low level statatistics class, this schools bassically a joke) I really want an econ major even just as a backup regardless of my career, would make me feel less like college was waste of my time.

I just completed a 4 month low paid internship in communications doing PR and Marketing. Seemed more like work for a women who likes to excitedly tweet about things not me. I am more into the business marketing side and working with how to make real profits. Whenever I would suggest ways to actually increase profits off events, monetize things, etc. Which is my expertise, she would ignore them. Seemed she just wanted someone to mindlessly social media market the business. The event's they did would make almost 0 profit. I know how to make these type of things very profitable. I have done events that netted over 25k in a night with low budgets vs her 0-very low profit events.

I start a commercial real estate broker/RE investment advising apprenticeship next week. So will get experience from that and even though I don't graduate for a bit may be able to work for them after graduation. Landed it non-traditionally by litterally cold calling and emailing every brokerage in town. Very excited for this. This seems like something I can actually learn a ton from.

Another part of me really want's to somehow find an apprenticeship with a general contractor and start a business in the construction industry down the line. Building custom houses, etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
"Required" is subjective. They are giving you an idea of what kind of background they want. Your communications and econ degree along with your business experience will be sufficient as long as you are looking at the proper job class, entry level type positions and not applying for jobs that want 10+ years of experience.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:16 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
"I feel I have learned 0 of use in this degree but really just care about the piece of paper getting me in the door."

There's your problem right there. To succeed in college, you have to care about learning, not the piece of paper, because that is what an education is all about.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:29 AM

371 posts, read 555,715 times
I would see where your apprenticeship leads before considering a second major. Econ minor with good job experience should be good enough to move forward in the job market. Maybe this is because you are typing on your phone, but your writing in this post isn't very good given that you are a communications major. If you feel like you need additional skills, then maybe taking some accounting classes might be useful but that typically isn't part of many econ majors.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Just finish the communications major with econ minor. Your experience in business plus the econ minor should be OK, as long as you can explain about how the communications (the pr and stuff) is relevant. But bottom line is just finish as soon as possible. Seems like school is not for you at this moment (not to rule it out in the future). I knew a guy kind of like you back in high school - he took time off right after college to start some businesses (nightlife) and do some other stuff, with mixed success. Eventually he went back to grad school and fast forward 30 years he's the mayor of a pretty big city. So just finish the degree in whatever, and worry about more specific degrees for a career in the future.

Sounds like you are pretty good at business and want to start your own, so probably you should do what you said and just focus on getting into the industry you want and then figuring out how to start your own business. Until then, just get a job, any job, with any degree, and the rest will come with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities