Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 AM

22 posts, read 32,128 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever tried living in the college dorms whats it like?
Pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Sure, back when I was in college! I loved it. I met lifelong friends there.

My kids did as well.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Off the top of my head...

Pros:
Meet lots of people
Feel more involved in college life
More opportunity to find social events
Easy to get home after drinking

Cons:
Cost
Easy to lose focus on school
Occasional noise issues, but these are mostly kept under control

Old 08-10-2015, 11:51 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Bros_Fan View Post
Anyone ever tried living in the college dorms whats it like?
Dorms have been round for decades... so yeah, people have tried it.
I highly recommend it.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
I lived in a dorm my first two tears of college and that was plenty for me. I loved having my friends right in the same building all of the time.

Pros'
Friends are nearby
There's no excuse to miss class
Library is there abs easily accessible
Easier to get involved on campus

Con's

Bathrooms
Having to get dressed to get food
Fines
Quiet hours not being enforced,

That last one was especially am issue for me because I had a 25-30 hour week and I had to be up before 7 on many occasions and quiet hours were not enforced.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
I did it for one year and it was the best year of college by a longshot. Coincidentally it was also the most expensive.

Living on campus at most traditional colleges is a MUST do for the first year.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I commuted and lived on campus.

Living on campus is what made it fun. You need to be disciplined though as it leads to the typical party atmosphere, but I had fun and still graduated with good grades.

And it does lead to lifelong friends. I just returned from my 11th annual college roommate reunion trip. No signs of that ending anytime soon.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Pros:
Make a lot of new, close friends without being that outwardly social.
Lots of hookups.
Lots of drinking and drug use.

Cons:
Living in close proximity to people who are literally less than a year out of high school. Maturity level is low.
No hookups for me.
Lots of drinking and drug use.

Basically, it's one of those that can be looked at as a pro or con depending on which way you look at it. It's really hard to study in the dorms.

College is one of those really weird things, because the first year grades mean so much in terms of the science courses (for pre-med, stuff like that), but they are also giving you your first taste at freedom, and even partying/drinking/drugs and the opposite sex for a lot of people.

Balance is the key. And I do think college is ironic in that sense.

I think the people who fared best in the dorms are those who actually were exposed to those things in high school, and so they were a bit more mature. Or you could also be one of those people who were completely straight in high school, and through college, but then there's no real sense in living in the dorms.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I loved living in dorms especially since my undergrad years were at a small college, some of the best years of my life. I would recommend it to anybody.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:12 PM

396 posts, read 409,460 times
Lived in the dorms for three years of my undergrad. I loved it and had nothing but wonderful experiences.

You should also make sure you are aware of the circumstances at your school. On-campus housing at my school was far cheaper than most off-campus options. We had suite style rooms in which four of us guys shared a bathroom. It was all-around excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities